Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 03:46 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times

Advertisements

Speaking of a following. Something that is happening to CSU Pueblo that is rather unique is the talent they get. Most D1 schools try to get students from all over. Now not that Pueblo wants to try and get students from other states, they do, but they tend to recruit most of their students from in state. What that does it create a rather unique in state following that you don't necessary see in other universities. Perhaps in Texas where the state is so large that is not so unique but for Colorado with a population of just a few million that is, especially with a team that is doing so good nationally. What made me realize this was a letter written to the Denver Post about Pueblo's football team to try and get them to talk about it more. Not from someone from Pueblo, who you might expect, but from Colorado Springs. A city that usually does not get a long with Pueblo, kind of like Dallas - Fort Worth but more intense. This shows how the team can bride gaps when creating fans and that is something I never would of expected just 4 years ago.

Here is the letter from the Post:

Hey Woody, how about a little love for CSU-Pueblo football. Ranked No. 1 in the national poll first for time of any RMAC team in its 102-year history. It's the best football story in Colorado. This is truly a Colorado team with kids from around the state making up its majority.
— Ken, Colorado Springs

Ken, I love me some ThunderWolves football. I'm already making plans for the Division II national championship game in Florence, Alabama, on Dec. 17. The ThunderWolves, as you noted, won the RMAC title and advanced to the playoffs (playoffs in college football — what a great idea) as No. 1 in the country, in only their fourth year after bring back football. They get a bye the first week.

The link to read his response: Woody's Mailbag: NFL draft success paves way to Super Bowl - The Denver Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Give me their team site and I'll bookmark it.

Edit: got the website
Here you go, and for anyone who wants to see it. A link to "Pueblo's team" the Thunderwolves.

CSU PUEBLO:Official Site of ThunderWolves Athletics

Old 11-18-2011, 05:52 PM

As I have posted CSU Pueblo has a bye this weekend, however, 5th ranked Saginaw Valley plays @ 4th ranked Minnesota-Duluth. Kick off is at 1pm central standard time.The winner of the game will travel to Pueblo on November 26 for the second round. As soon as the game is over tomorrow I will post who the winner is and will start looking at them to see how CSU Pueblo matches, at least from my perspective.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:05 PM

It was a close game but 9th ranked Minnesota - Duluth won the game by a score of 30 to 27 over un-ranked Saginaw Valley State (Mich.) in overtime.

That means that next week 1st ranked CSU Pueblo will host 9th ranked University of Minnesota - Duluth at the Thunderbowl.

Start the analysis:

UMD is the defending national title champions.

One thing that stands out is how close the game was. It took overtime for 9th ranked UMD to beat a un-ranked team. It should have been a easy victory.

I will look up more stats then post them.

NOTE: I was wrong in the above post. Saginaw Valley State was not ranked 5th but was un-ranked.

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-19-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 05:27 PM

I am trying something new for my videos and I thought today would be a good day to give it a shot. If it works out I might actually add voice commentary to my game day videos. Not sure on that one yet. I am filming some test videos to see how my voice sounds to determine if I want to be in the video or not.

The first video I am showing is the band telling the people at the alumni tent how to sing the CSU Pueblo fight song. With new fans from around the state and country looking at this page I thought it would be good for them to see how sing the mighty CSU Pueblo fight song.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:47 PM

Exclamation CSU-Pueblo goes from invisible to D-II national power in four years

There was a great article about the Thunderwolves in the Denver Post last weekend and I thought I would post it here.

This is from the Denver Post:

In an otherwise forgettable college football season in Colorado, a 4-year-old Division II program is having a season to remember. John Wristen, a former assistant at Northwestern and the University of Colorado, left his job on Karl Dorrell's staff at UCLA in the summer of 2007 to build a football program from the ground up at his alma mater, the former University of Southern Colorado.

The link: Krieger: CSU-Pueblo goes from invisible to D-II national power in four years - The Denver Post

Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM

Exclamation CSU-Pueblo's Jesse Lewis makes big strides in life and football

Another article in the Denver Post about the T-wolves. This time its about Jesse Lewis and is the story about how he became a Thunderwolf. This is his senior year and he will get a degree in business this May and for the second consecutive season Lewis was one of 22 finalists for the Harlon Hill Trophy, Division II's equivalent of the Heisman Trophy and will leave the school as its all-time leader in all-purpose yards — including the program's previous incarnation. He has been one of the reasons Pueblo is in the playoffs and I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

One last thing. CSU Pueblo gets most of their students from Colorado and I think that is good for the state and students as it gives them a opportunity they might not have had for a better future.

This is from the Denver Post:

PUEBLO — A few years ago in Loveland, young Jesse Lewis winced at what he saw around him. "All the adults in my life had pretty bad drug addictions, and my older brother and I were looking after each other," Lewis, Colorado State University-Pueblo's star tailback, recalled last week. Lewis was sitting in the office and dressing room complex of the Neta and Eddie DeRose ThunderBowl, where the ThunderWolves (11-0) will face Minnesota-Duluth (10-2) in an NCAA Division II playoff game Saturday at noon. He spoke in something between a matter-of-fact tone and on-the-verge-of-tears emotion. He knows what he has overcome, and the toll on his family, but he is neither asking for nor expecting sympathy.

The link: CSU-Pueblo's Jesse Lewis makes big strides in life and football - The Denver Post

Old 11-22-2011, 10:49 AM

Talking Sunny Saturday forecasted

The forecast is out for this weekends game, kick off it as noon. While it won't be warm it should be sunny with no wind to speak of. All in all great football weather.

This is from the NWS:

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 48. North northwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Talking Football's renaissance also scores off the field

Countdown to kickoff: 2 days!

In today's Pueblo Chieftain there was a interesting article on the economic impact of the new football program on the university and the city of Pueblo. It was very interesting so I thought I would post it here.

First here are some facts from the article:

The football team's home games draw an average attendance of 6,800, ranking in the top 15 among Division II schools.

Has helped to increase student enrollment.

Has given the University and Pueblo increased state and national attention.

Been a reason for new construction on campus including residence halls.

This is the article from the Chieftain:

“A hell of a return on the investment,” Pueblo insurance agent Ralph Williams observes. He's referring to money donated by the Friends of Football to Colorado State University-Pueblo. And, in this instance, he’s talking about just the $400,000 given to help start the 70-student marching band. It was a small slice of the fundraising group’s $11 million-plus contribution.

The link: Football's renaissance also scores off the field - The Pueblo Chieftain: Business

Old 11-24-2011, 08:14 PM

753 posts, read 843,148 times
Congrats to CSUP on their recent success in D2! It's good to have new teams in the mix. I'm afraid you guys have drawn a tough second-round game in the Defending National Champs, though. Will be interesting to see how this game goes vs. your RMAC competition. If you beat Duluth, I think the Thunderwolves have a favorable path to the title game.

This is an impressive thread. You should start posting some stuff on www.d2sportsnetwork.com. There are some forums there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football