U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 01:24 AM

12,183 posts, read 21,061,451 times

Advertisements

^

Thanks! I am doing my best to make this thread interesting.

As far as your comments on the game. If CSU Pueblo is going to win the national title odds are at some point they are going to have to play Duluth. It might as well be now after a week break and at home. Home field advantage has always been strong in Colorado, just look at the Broncos. First is our altitude as the Thunderbowl sits about 5,000 feet above sea level, close to a mile high. UMD's football team is flying in tomorrow so they will not have time to acclimate to the lower level of oxygen and by the 3rd and 4th quarter they will be feeling it. Another factor will be the crowd. According to the local news there is only standing room left. That should mean 10,000 to 12,000 people at the stadium which is a bowl, thus, making it even louder for their offense. From the short time I have really looked into D2 football most stadiums are not built like Pueblo's and most teams do not get the kind of attendance CSU P does. Even at last weeks game in Duluth, a stadium that looks to be 1/4 the size of Pueblo's, was only 1/4 full. My guess is this will be more like a NFL playoff like atmosphere then a D2 one and if I am correct should giving Pueblo a advantage.

Will this be a tough game to win? Yes. Is it winnable? I think so and I think by 10 points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 AM

Talking Countdown to kickoff: 1 day!

Today's Pueblo Chieftain is full of articles about the game tomorrow including a editorial and special playoff edition, in full color. The paper has declared this ThunderWolf Friday in Pueblo and everyone is urged to wear red. I have my red Pack shirt and will be talking about them all day and night. Tomorrow I plan on getting up at 7 having breakfast at 8 and being at the stadium by 9 am for all of the pre game festivities. Kick off is at noon. As I have posted there is only standing room tickets left for the game and I am hoping most, if not all, of them sell out by game time. I want that place to be loud and intimidating for Duluth. Let them know this is OUR house. My prediction is the Pack will win by 10 points.

GO PACK!!! WIN THIS FOR PUEBLO!!!!!!

This is the editorial from the Chieftain:

TODAY IS ThunderWolf Friday as the Colorado State University-Pueblo football team enters the NCAA Division II playoffs. After a first-round bye, the Pack will host defending national champion Minnesota-Duluth starting at noon Saturday at the Neta & Eddie DeRose ThunderBowl. The Pueblo squad enters the playoffs with a perfect 11-0 record for the year. The Minnesotans’ campaign saw them going 10-2. The T-Wolves are the nation’s Cinderella team this year, playing only in their fourth season since the program was resurrected after a two-decade hiatus. A great deal of this success goes to the leadership of head coach John Wristen and his talented assistants and team members.

The link: Time to howl - The Pueblo Chieftain: Editorials

Old 11-26-2011, 01:54 PM

14,610 posts, read 22,469,259 times
Hope you're enjoying yourself at the game.

It's the 3rd quarter or start of the 4th and I hear the Pack are up 21-17.

Go Pack!

Not looking good. Twolves trail by three with fans headed for the exits.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-26-2011 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 PM

20,929 posts, read 39,260,326 times
Just got the final on the Chieftan website, UMD 24 - CSU/P 21. Rats.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 PM

The season is over........

It was a good game but Pueblo made a few key mistakes and they could not get pressure on Duluth's quarterback. It almost seemed like they were so excited to be in the playoffs for the first time they were not focused enough. Hopefully next year they can continue to improve and be more seasoned in the playoffs and make it further. All in all it was a great season and I applaud the Pack.

See ya in 2012!

There was a lot of people at the game. Here is one video of CSU Pueblo scoring and it shows the crowd.

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-26-2011 at 05:14 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 01:54 PM

924 posts, read 993,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It was a good game but Pueblo made a few key mistakes and they could not get pressure on Duluth's quarterback. It almost seemed like they were so excited to be in the playoffs for the first time they were not focused enough. Hopefully next year they can continue to improve and be more seasoned in the playoffs and make it further. All in all it was a great season and I applaud the Pack.
No, it's because they were overrated. The RMAC is a weak conference football wise and the powder-puff opponents that the teams face here are simply not a good gauge of a team's real ability. CSU-P should never have been ranked #1 pure and simple.

Nebraska-Kearny is switching conferences for this reason; to face more competitive opponents in the regular season in order to actually advance in the post-season.

Anyways, congratulations to CSU-P on a stellar season.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
No, it's because they were overrated. The RMAC is a weak conference football wise and the powder-puff opponents that the teams face here are simply not a good gauge of a team's real ability. CSU-P should never have been ranked #1 pure and simple.

Nebraska-Kearny is switching conferences for this reason; to face more competitive opponents in the regular season in order to actually advance in the post-season.

I don't believe CSU Pueblo was over rated any more then any of the other teams who were voted number 1 were over rated. That's the problem with football polls and you have the same issues in division 1. Sure they are cute and fun, especially if your team is picked #1. However, a playoff system with a title game, like you see in division 2 and the NFL, is the only way to know who the true number 1 team is.

As far as CSU Pueblo specifically. They have been getting better every year. Last year they went 9-2 and the two losses were close games by the two best teams in the RMAC. This year they went 11-0, including beating teams in the top 20, then went on to lose a close game against the back to back national title champions. If, and yes I know its if, they would of put together one more drive with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter like they had been doing all game they more then likely would of won the game. That is improvement and now next year they, and Pueblo, will be more seasoned and the hype will not be as much when they make it to the playoffs. The hype was crazy in Pueblo this year as it was the first time this city had seen this kind of attention because of a football team. So in the future the newness will be gone but Pueblo will still support the Pack as they are the highest football team in the Pueblo region. A relativity large region for a division 2 school to be in as the Pueblo MSA is 160,000 people now and regional planners say Pueblo will grow to 250,000 people in the next 30 years and the university will grow to 15,000 to as much as 20,000 students. As I show in my video the stadium was sold out, you don't see that in other schools even in the playoffs, so Pueblo backs its team and that will go a long way in developing them into a power house for division 2. Its not going to happen over night, even I was surprised they made it to the playoffs this fast, but it will happen in the next 4-8 years. Now in time will they have to move from the RMAC? Good question and perhaps but teams move from conferences all the time so that is not new. Just look at what is going on in division 1 now. However, I believe that CSU Pueblo can and will win a national title in the RMAC but unless they change some of their rules, like the number of scholarships they can give to football players, CSU Pueblo, like UNK, will be forced to move in the future.

Speaking of rules I want to make a comment on some of the NCAA 2 rules for playoffs. They are lame and I say that as someone who has been to most of of the home Bronco playoff games since the late 80's and even the back to back Superbowl's they won. The NCAA tries to take most of the "home field advantage" out of the game by not allowing the announcer to say things or stadium to play music that might give that appearance. LAME LAME LAME. Have they been to a NFL playoff game? That is why teams play for home field advantage and one reason why more people like the NFL over college and I say that as a homer and a true CSU Pueblo fan. There is no reason to have those rules. I know the reality is they will not be changed so I will deal with it but in my opinion its sad.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:03 PM

14,610 posts, read 22,469,259 times
Wong that could be true but this isn't NCAA D1. I think the Wolves almost beat the reigning champs. They made one less play than the other team.

The rm conference they are in, just went up a notch because csu Pueblo is in it.

Guess what? Only one of these teams is gonna make it to the top of the heap. For the rest of these schools, it's basketball season.

Nothing to trip too hard about.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-29-2011 at 09:03 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 08:43 AM

^

Or for those of us who don't like basketball we have to wait to football season in 2012........

On to some gossip. I was at the new presidents welcoming party last night at CSU P and I heard that CSU FC, among other universities, are looking at Coach John Wristen. People I talk to think he will stay in Pueblo but it will be interesting to see what happens in the off season.

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-30-2011 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 AM

16,532 posts, read 21,015,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post

I don't follow CSU-Pueblo that closely as I live on the western slope. I do however follow Mesa State. I've met former head coach Joe Rammuno and have talked to him several times as well as to a couple of his assistants. My nephew played for him only for a season as rotator cuff surgery put the kibosh on his time there. He was a 4-A all state offensive lineman and played for the Douglas County Huskies. He now is an assistant coach for Joe Johnson at Thunder Ridge High School. Last year I was sitting in on one of their practices and the talk got to Nebraska-Kearney. One of the assistants remarked to me the rumor was that they might drop out of RMAC, I asked him why and he said one of the reasons was travel. Kearney identifies with the Heartland and the colleges in the MIAA conference is made up of colleges in Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Made sense to me. Grand Junction to Denver is 260 miles, to North Platte is another 250, and to Kearney another 90. 600 miles is a ways all right.

Over-rated? Playing in a powder puff division? Perhaps. On the other hand CSU-Pueblo didn't play a powder puff team, they played the 2010 Div, 2 champions and lost by a field goal. Whether they should have been ranked at number one may or may not have been a good call. But they were undefeated. Given the way the big boys are militant about their BCS formula, I'll take the playoff system every time.

And in regards to the new conference, yes, there is one notable team who has won a few Division 2 championships, NW Missouri State. Out of the other dozen or so clubs in the MIAA, I see a lot of small schools there whose football program I'm not familiar with. As I mod college football as well as pro football I'm going to assign myself some homework here, to take a look at these colleges and their athletic programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football