U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 02:16 PM

12,183 posts, read 21,053,928 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to see how it plays out without UNK in the RMAC.

As I see it CSU Pueblo should be the power house which should get them in the playoffs most every year. My reasoning is CSU P is the university most of the football players in the state want to attend who are extremely good but not quite good enough for division 1. Before CSU Pueblo had football they would go to the different division 2 schools in the state and that would give each school some very good players but not give one school enough to have a impact on the national level. Now that CSU Pueblo gets most of them they will not only be the power house in the RMAC and the super region but in time become a power house for division 2. That will get them even more attention and cause very good players to come to CSU Pueblo from around the nation. Success breeds success and its starting now with the undefeated regular season and close loss (by one field goal) to the 2 time national champions.

I was reading on another football board where someone thinks CU Boulder will get 2 division 1 titles in the coming decades for a total of 3. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but I think that by mid century CSU Pueblo will have the most championships of any college football team in the state, even the Broncos. This is defiantly the start of Pueblo's time and it came after 4 short years since they brought back football, that is amazing to me.

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-30-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 AM

924 posts, read 992,341 times
Or John Wristen leaves, CSU-P's luck streak runs out, and they sink back into mediocrity and another school rises to prominence in RMAC football and continue the tradition of losing in the first round (hey, maybe Wasted State will stage a comeback) I just don't see CSU-P having the staying power to become a powerhouse no matter how much the locals want it to. You've got the RMAC's desire to ensure parity by restricting scholarships as a major factor and also that CSU-P has lost it's underdog status and won't be viewed as a fly-through game (plus CSU-P is in Pueblo, which means it's predestined to dash the residents hopes again and again and again).

BTW, Minnesota Duluth had their clocks cleaned this last weekend by Wayne State. So, CSU-P lost to a team that than lost in the next round. (mod edit-one sentence deleted)

The MIAA does have a few football powerhouses, i.e. they don't lose in the first round of the playoffs year-after-year, such as Pitt State, Northwest Missouri, and a couple of other strong teams and it still seems like a desire for a more competitive, and recognized, athletic conference was a bigger draw than travel considerations for Nebraska-Kearney.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-24-2012 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Or John Wristen leaves, CSU-P's luck streak runs out,
I don't think he is going to leave. His family is here and his gf's family is here and that is one of the major reasons he moved back to begin with. Plus he makes a good salary and has become a major public figure here with job security. It would be hard for him to get that in a new school and town, possible but hard. Now if I am wrong and he does leave it will be easier for CSU Pueblo to recruit a good coach since they are a good team with great support from the community.

Quote:
and they sink back into mediocrity and another school rises to prominence in RMAC football and continue the tradition of losing in the first round (hey, maybe Wasted State will stage a comeback) I just don't see CSU-P having the staying power to become a powerhouse no matter how much the locals want it to.
What do you base this on? Local support is one of the key reasons this school is doing so good in only 4 years, you said so yourself. It is, also, one of the reasons they will have staying power as most D2 schools don't have half the support for football this university has. Players and coaches like to be in a environment like that and it will help them on recruiting.

Quote:
You've got the RMAC's desire to ensure parity by restricting scholarships as a major factor
This could be a problem and I agree if the RMAC does not change the rule CSU Pueblo might have to change conferences in the future. A interesting note is CSU Pueblo went 11-0 and made it to the playoffs without using all of their allotted scholarships. However, CSU Pueblo is going to push for them to change the rule and I suspect the RMAC will not want to lose them so they might just do that.

Quote:
and also that CSU-P has lost it's underdog status and won't be viewed as a fly-through game (plus CSU-P is in Pueblo, which means it's predestined to dash the residents hopes again and again and again).
They did lose their under dog status but are now a RMAC power and that will help them in recruitment more. Sure being a underdog is cute but good football players would rather play in a powerhouse.

As far as dashing my hopes. I can't speak for Pueblo but I can say the university has already exceeded my hopes in academics and in sports. They have a new president who I believe will be great for the school and city and they are hosting national sporting events and the football team made it to the playoffs in only 4 years.

Quote:
BTW, Minnesota Duluth had their clocks cleaned this last weekend by Wayne State. So, CSU-P lost to a team that than lost in the next round. Though I do understand how losing to "last year's champions" is a different context and makes you feel better.
It was defiantly a winnable game for Pueblo. It was like the playoff game where Denver lost a heart breaker to Jacksonville. I was there and was devastated. When it was over I just stood there in disbelief and said we just lost to Jacksonville. CSU Pueblo should of won that game but keep in mind Denver went on to win back to back Superbowls the following two years and I think Pueblo has a good chance of at least wining the title game next year.

Quote:
The MIAA does have a few football powerhouses, i.e. they don't lose in the first round of the playoffs year-after-year, such as Pitt State, Northwest Missouri, and a couple of other strong teams and it still seems like a desire for a more competitive, and recognized, athletic conference was a bigger draw than travel considerations for Nebraska-Kearney.
Good for them! Colorado has one and its CSU Pueblo. I think it will be funny when Pueblo has more national titles in football then any other football program in the state. It should happen by 2020.

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-06-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM

Yesterday was national signing day for colleges and CSU Pueblo did really well. One of the new football players was going to the University of Central Florida, a division 1 school, but his grades did not allow him to attend that university so he picked CSU Pueblo instead. I think this is one of the advantages Pueblo will have over most division 2 schools as they are part of the Colorado State system with all of the advantages and prestige to allow them to get players who would like to attend division 1 schools but just cant for whatever reason. This is why I think by the end of this decade CSU Pueblo will be a division 2 powerhouse.

Some highlights of this year's class, according to Wristen in the Chieftain:

• "Every offensive lineman we brought in is at least 6-foot-3 or taller, can bend their knees and have great hips."
  • Cornerback Robert Milus, from Chandler, Ariz., is the son of Denver Broncos secondary coach Ron Milus.
  • McDondle, from Columbine, was the Class 5A player of the year. His grandmother lives in Pueblo.
  • Wide receiver Rayshon Williams, an early enrollee, originally committed to Division I Central Florida but didn't qualify academically. He is the nephew of former Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall.
  • Quarterback Caleb Flack's brother, Josiah, plays linebacker at Mines.
  • Running back/cornerback Patrick Thompson is from Tracy, Calif. He learned about CSU-Pueblo from his history teacher, who is an alumnus.
  • LaRon Tarkington, a 5-foot-10, 185-pound defensive back from Phoenix, was a two-star recruit on rivals.com and a three-star recruit on espn.com., the highest-rated player in CSU-Pueblo's class.

The link: Red-letter (of intent) day at CSU-Pueblo - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local Sports

Old 03-21-2012, 10:11 AM

Default CSU-Pueblo players setting alarms for early workouts that begin Monday

College football is back!

The fall football schedule is out for CSU Pueblo and I think they have a good chance of going 11-0 again and winning the RMAC. Coach Wristen wants to improve on last year and I think they have a chance to accomplish that. How cool would it be for Pueblo to win the national title in D2 football and for the Broncos to win the Superbowl in the NFL, all in the same season!

This is from the Chieftain:

The Colorado State University-Pueblo football team reached the No. 1 ranking in the nation last season. The ThunderWolves went 11-0 in the regular season and won the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference championship. Both were firsts for the program. But this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world and the ThunderWolves' accomplishments in 2011 don't mean a thing in 2012. The quest to repeat the feat — and go beyond — began just days after the ThunderWolves lost 24-21 to Minnesota-Duluth in the second round of the NCAA playoffs last year. Off season strength and conditioning sessions are ongoing.

Here is the schedule:

Aug. 30 West Texas A&M 6 p.m.
Sept. 8 at NW Oklahoma State 6 p.m.
Sept. 15 at Western N.M. 1:30 p.m.
Sept. 22 Adams State 6 p.m.
Sept. 29 at Fort Lewis TBD
Oct. 6 Chadron State 2 p.m.
Oct 13 at Colorado Mines noon
Oct. 30 Black Hills State 6 p.m.
Oct. 27 at Colorado Mesa 6 p.m.
Nov. 3 N.M. Highlands 2 p.m.
Nov. 10 at Western State TBD

The link: Pack catches spring football fever - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local Sports

Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM

Talking Colorado governor John Hickenlooper declared April 21, 2012 "CSU-Pueblo ThunderWolves Day"

Since football was brought back 4 years ago the Thunderwolfs have played a spring game to showcase the new talent. To be honest I never go which is why there will be no pictures or video from me but since this is the unofficial start of the new season with the new players I thought I would mention it here.

This is from KKTV, the local CBS station:

PUEBLO, Colo. - CSU-Pueblo's football team showcased its 2012 squad in the Annual Red/White Game at the Neta and Eddie DeRose ThunderBowl, which saw the White Team take down the Red Team 23-7. The squads were chosen by a team draft Friday, with the CSU-Pueblo coaching staff split amongst the teams. Head coach John Wristen allied with neither team, instead keeping an eye on the play from the field.

In other news governor John Hickenlooper recognized CSU Pueblo for their accomplishment in the last season.

This is, also, from KKTV:

Colorado governor John Hickenlooper declared April 21, 2012 "CSU-Pueblo ThunderWolves Day" in the State of Colorado as the team as well as head coach and 2011 National Coach of the Year, John Wristen, were recognized prior to Saturday's Red/White Game. State representatives Sal Pace and Keith Swerdfeger were on hand to read proclamations from the State House, the State Senate and the Governor's Office. The move to recognize the ThunderWolves was sponsored by Pace, Swerdfeger and Angela Giron, all Pueblo County representatives.

The link: CSU-Pueblo Football: 'White' bests 'Red' in 5th Annual Red/White Game

Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,006,578 times
I didn't pick up the paper that day, Joss! Thanks for the report.

Good for the Thunderwolves!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 AM

Talking CSU-Pueblo sixth in Division II football poll

The 2012 football season is right around the corner and the first poll is out and its a good one for CSU Pueblo as they are ranked 6th in the nation. Their first game is a big one as they play West Texas A&M at home. Last year they beat West Texas @ Texas so I am sure they are going to want revenge making this a great opener and a playoff game feel even though its the first game of the season. In my opinion this is a must win because it will set the tone for the season and if CSU Pueblo can get a victory from such a good team early on they stand a good chance of making the playoffs again.

Now that football season is about here look for a lot more posts from me as well!

This is from the Denver Post
:

CSU-Pueblo had a ranking of sixth in the American Football Coaches' Association preseason poll released Monday. It is the first time the ThunderWolves have been ranked in the AFCA preseason top 25.

Read more: CSU-Pueblo sixth in Division II football poll - The Denver Post

Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Talking QB Ross Dausin leads loaded CSU-Pueblo, ranked No. 6 nationally

Pueblo's quarterback has been one of the reasons the university is ranked 6th in the nation and expected to win the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference this season. The Denver Post ran a great article on him so I thought I would post it here. As a side note the fact that the Denver Post, the states largest newspaper, is running a lot of articles on the Thunderwolves shows how much the university is being noticed outside the Pueblo MSA.

This is from the Denver Post:

Like most Division II football standouts, Colorado State University-Pueblo senior quarterback Ross Dausin was underappreciated coming out of high school. He didn't underachieve, but was limited in how much he could produce.

Dausin, 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, is 20-3 as a starter for the ThunderWolves, the defending Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference champions who finished 11-1 last season after losing in the second round of the national tournament to Minnesota-Duluth. CSU-Pueblo is the unanimous RMAC preseason pick as league champion and ranked as high as No. 6 nationally.

Read more: QB Ross Dausin leads loaded CSU-Pueblo, ranked No. 6 nationally - The Denver Post

Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 PM

Thursday is the first game if the season and it's at home. I will be there and post the final score after the game then pictures and a video on Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football