U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 09:30 PM

12,177 posts, read 21,010,558 times

Advertisements

CSU Pueblo lost today in a close game but it was close only after Bonner, the starting QB, was sacked and broke his thumb. At that point Pueblo was in the lead and looking great. After the injury the quarterback was never the same and you could tell the team struggled. I know it sounds like sour grapes but honestly how many teams can win a playoff game with their starting QB injured like that? Not many and that includes the Broncos.

That being said I think CSU Pueblo needs to demand the RMAC raise the scholarship limit to 36 like the rest of D2 or leave the conference for the Lone Star Conference. If Pueblo would have had more scholarships perhaps they would have had a better back up quarterback to play once Bonner was injured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:43 PM

14,540 posts, read 22,402,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Bummer.

This was their year.

They lose a lot of seniors now.
Well it's Deja Vu all over again.

CSU plays in a relatively weak conference and they get thumped in their first playoff game... over and over and over again.

Sad. But no matter. The conference they're in never goes far anyway.

One and done again. What a missed opportunity.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well it's Deja Vu all over again.

CSU plays in a relatively weak conference and they get thumped in their first playoff game... over and over and over again.

Sad. But no matter. The conference they're in never goes far anyway.

One and done again. What a missed opportunity.
Had the QB not broke his thumb I am certain they would have won. Not many teams can win a playoff game with their starting quarterback hurt like that.

I want to add that considering what happened I am surprised the Pack did as well as they did. They were still in it to the very end and had a chance to win. That says a lot about the team in my opinion.

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-30-2013 at 11:55 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 AM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Saturday was a cold day so I broke out all of my monitors for the Div III play-offs.

#1 was UW-Whitewater v Franklin which was a game for about a half.
#2 was North Central vs. UW-Plattsville which was an interesting game but settled in the 1st Quarter.
#3 was Linfield vs. Hampton-Sydney which looked less like a football game than a MASH unit. Both teams suffered major injuries.

I have been streaming Div III games quite a bit and have found that you are generally lucky to see 2 1/2 quarters of the video as there always seem to be problems. This week was an exception as I missed perhaps ten minutes of only one of the games.

================================

After the Div III games were all settled, I switched over to try to catch the GVSU vs. CSU-Pueblo game. They actually wanted a FEE to watch the game on the CSU-Pueblo site. I switched over the GVSU site and was able to catch the entire 4th quarter.

It looked like it was a pretty good game overall. GVSU is a hard team to beat as they generally play one of the toughest schedules in Division II and they are involved in a lot of close games.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:04 AM

922 posts, read 988,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It looked like it was a pretty good game overall. GVSU is a hard team to beat as they generally play one of the toughest schedules in Division II and they are involved in a lot of close games.
This.

CSU-P was overrated this season, just like last season, due to the relatively weak regular season schedule they have. They play maybe one or two difficult regular season opponents and then buff up their stats with a powderpuff schedule leading to them being overranked in the polls. Realistically, they should have been ranked 15-20 instead of 3. The RMAC is a weak football conference and CSU-P's lack of playoff wins is indicative of this. There's just not enough competition during the regular season to show CSU-P's true ability.

CSU-P either needs to shift conferences, which may be difficult due to the drag it would have on other sports (you'd probably see some elimination of other men's sports at CSU-P due to the finance burden), or find a way to get some additional difficult opponents during the regular season.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
CSU-P was overrated this season, just like last season, due to the relatively weak regular season schedule they have. They play maybe one or two difficult regular season opponents and then buff up their stats with a powderpuff schedule leading to them being overranked in the polls. Realistically, they should have been ranked 15-20 instead of 3. The RMAC is a weak football conference and CSU-P's lack of playoff wins is indicative of this. There's just not enough competition during the regular season to show CSU-P's true ability.

CSU-P either needs to shift conferences, which may be difficult due to the drag it would have on other sports (you'd probably see some elimination of other men's sports at CSU-P due to the finance burden), or find a way to get some additional difficult opponents during the regular season.

You have to play your conference games. Mount Union (defending Division III champions.) ALSO plays in a weak conference where they have six or seven relatively easy wins.

The way you get around that is to schedule a tough non-conference schedule. You do NOT do that until you are consistently winning your conference. Wisconsin-Whitewater started doing this in 2003 before their run; North Central College is now doing it. In BOTH cases, this was an effort to improve the recruiting AND to show your team the commitment needed to win the big games

Changing conferences is rarely an option below Division I as it adds incredibly to the cost of operating an athletic program. You correctly point out that the costs are MUCH greater when you have to move all twelve sports. In addition - as you are seeing in Division I - often the conference moves do NOT turn out as expected. Look at West Virginia. Also, it does not help grow the fan base as it messes up all the usual rivalry games.

If I was the AD, I would schedule two ranked teams each year but ONLY in a home-away two year commitment..

Old 12-03-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
This.

The reason CSU Pueblo lost was simple. Into the second quarter their quarterback got sacked and broke his thumb on his passing hand. The rest of the game he was not the same. Even with a injured quarterback Pueblo was only down by 4 points at the end of the game and still had a chance to win. However if they had won there was no chance they would have beat West Texas this week with their backup quarterback.

I looked at the replay and it was a clean hit just some bad luck on how it happened.

That being said unless the RMAC raises up the scholarship limit the word is Pueblo might move to the lone star conference. I would be for that.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You have to play your conference games. Mount Union (defending Division III champions.) ALSO plays in a weak conference where they have six or seven relatively easy wins.

The way you get around that is to schedule a tough non-conference schedule. You do NOT do that until you are consistently winning your conference. Wisconsin-Whitewater started doing this in 2003 before their run; North Central College is now doing it. In BOTH cases, this was an effort to improve the recruiting AND to show your team the commitment needed to win the big games

Changing conferences is rarely an option below Division I as it adds incredibly to the cost of operating an athletic program. You correctly point out that the costs are MUCH greater when you have to move all twelve sports. In addition - as you are seeing in Division I - often the conference moves do NOT turn out as expected. Look at West Virginia. Also, it does not help grow the fan base as it messes up all the usual rivalry games.

If I was the AD, I would schedule two ranked teams each year but ONLY in a home-away two year commitment..
The biggest problem CSU Pueblo faces in the RMAC is the scholarship limit. It's only 26 versus 36 in D2. However I don't think having 36 scholarships would of helped Pueblo this season. Very few teams can win a playoff game when their starting quarterback gets injured. The fact they came so close to winning was a Testament to how good the team and especially the defense was.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 AM

922 posts, read 988,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That being said unless the RMAC raises up the scholarship limit the word is Pueblo might move to the lone star conference. I would be for that.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. The RMAC is not going to change for one school.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. The RMAC is not going to change for one school.
I want to add that it would be more fun if Pueblo could find a way to stay in the RMAC and be the top dog here then win a national title every few years. Will that be possible? If the RMAC raises the scholarship limit to 36 yes if not then I am not sure and if its not possible while it would be fun to be the top dog in the RMAC the goal of CSU Pueblo should be to win a national title and I think they would have to move to the Lone Star Conference or MIAA.

This year would of been a good test to see if it would have been possible had Bonner not been injured. Instead now that falls on next season if CSU Pueblo can stay healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football