Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 05:19 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Interesting. I have not heard that before so can not comment on it. I just know that most people say UNC should of stayed in D2.
From a football standpoint, UNC probably should have stayed in DII. It is the least attractive location of the DI colleges in Colorado plus the league they joined is one of the top DI-FCS leagues in the nation. If CSU continues to do well, look for UNC to improve. CSU is a bottom tier DI-FBS team. Many of the athletes they recruit -- especially from Colorado -- are marginal FBS players. Many should be playing FCS football, and some would have signed with UNC if they didn't get the offer from CSU.

That said, CSUP took advantage of their situation. After UNC made the jump, the only quality DII team in Colorado was Colorado School of Mines. Problem is, succeeding academically at CSM is very hard. CSUP formed a team and went after those athletes that would have gone to UNC. Additionally, they changed their name to CSU-Pueblo and capitalized on the excellent reputation that CSU has been building. Let's be honest, no one wants to go to the University of Southern Colorado. CSU-Pueblo just sounds better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Will the coach leave from CSU Pueblo to a larger university? While anything is possible I do not see that happening. He is a Puebloan and his wife is from here and has a good job at St Mary Corwin Medical Center. I have heard talk of him getting a raise and the university making some much needed improvements at the Thunderbowl as well as adding more scholarships. That should happen to give them the best chance to keep winning D2 national titles.
Coach Wristen's national title has just made him even more attractive. The difference in salary between what a DII coach makes and a DI-FCS coach makes is about $250k - $300k. That's more than enough to offset his wife needing to find a new job. Last year Wristen interviewed and was a finalist at Eastern Michigan. It's only a matter of time before he is contacted again. He may stay another year, but after McDondle is gone, he won't have a feature back and will have to start anew. UNC won back to back DII championships and left for Montana where he won a DI-FCS championship. If Coach Wristen continues this course, I am pretty sure he will be coaching in a football stadium without running track around it really soon.

P.S. Bob Stitt just left CSM for Montana. No one thought he would leave either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:13 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
From a football standpoint, UNC probably should have stayed in DII. It is the least attractive location of the DI colleges in Colorado plus the league they joined is one of the top DI-FCS leagues in the nation. If CSU continues to do well, look for UNC to improve. CSU is a bottom tier DI-FBS team. Many of the athletes they recruit -- especially from Colorado -- are marginal FBS players. Many should be playing FCS football, and some would have signed with UNC if they didn't get the offer from CSU.
The thing is I only pay attention to football so when I talk about D1 or D2 I am only talking about football. Honestly I still do not see either school winning a national title any time soon.

Quote:
That said, CSUP took advantage of their situation. After UNC made the jump, the only quality DII team in Colorado was Colorado School of Mines. Problem is, succeeding academically at CSM is very hard. CSUP formed a team and went after those athletes that would have gone to UNC. Additionally, they changed their name to CSU-Pueblo and capitalized on the excellent reputation that CSU has been building. Let's be honest, no one wants to go to the University of Southern Colorado. CSU-Pueblo just sounds better.
Agreed. I have said for years that the university joining the Colorado State system was the best thing to happen to it and Pueblo in my generation. That, and the other reasons you mentioned, is why I think CSU Pueblo is now one of the top football programs in D2 and I think it will stay that way for years to come.

This really is surreal as growing up then USC was a joke so I never thought anything like this could happen. Being a kid in the 80's when Pueblo had its hardest times and I thought about the future Pueblo has really accomplished what I hoped it would and more and CSU P winning the national title is just the cherry on top for me.

Quote:
Coach Wristen's national title has just made him even more attractive. The difference in salary between what a DII coach makes and a DI-FCS coach makes is about $250k - $300k. That's more than enough to offset his wife needing to find a new job. Last year Wristen interviewed and was a finalist at Eastern Michigan. It's only a matter of time before he is contacted again. He may stay another year, but after McDondle is gone, he won't have a feature back and will have to start anew. UNC won back to back DII championships and left for Montana where he won a DI-FCS championship. If Coach Wristen continues this course, I am pretty sure he will be coaching in a football stadium without running track around it really soon.

P.S. Bob Stitt just left CSM for Montana. No one thought he would leave either.
Knowing what I know about him and his wife and family I think he will stay. However I could be wrong, I have been more times then right, and he might leave and if he does CSU Pueblo will have to do what colleges and NFL teams do all the time. Find a new coach. I think the program is stronger then any one coach so they should be ok.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
CSU Fort Collins? No, there's CSU, CSU Global, and CSU-Pueblo.
No, there's really just CSU-Pueblo. The Rams choked to the Zoomies and in their irrelevant bowl game so it's like... CSU Who? Oh, that's right. That team just south of the Wyoming Cowboys.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:50 AM

304 posts, read 344,129 times
Steve Sewell, former Bronco and running backs coach for the Thunderwolves has decided to retire. He brought instant credibility to the program when it was starting in 2008. He is the second assistant coach to leave since winning the championship. This isn't unusual, but Coach Wristen will have some holes to fill on his staff as he looks for a chance to repeat next season.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
Steve Sewell, former Bronco and running backs coach for the Thunderwolves has decided to retire. He brought instant credibility to the program when it was starting in 2008. He is the second assistant coach to leave since winning the championship. This isn't unusual, but Coach Wristen will have some holes to fill on his staff as he looks for a chance to repeat next season.
I have read that it will be hard to find a replacement for Swell as he was very good. It will be interesting to see who they pick.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:22 AM

There will be a celebration for the national champions January 23 in Pueblo. It will start out as a parade then go to Memorial Hall that will include videos, introduction of players and a speech by the head coach followed by a block party outside with heated tents. I will attend and post pictures after.

This is from the Chieftain:

CELEBRATION OF CHAMPIONS

What: Events to honor CSU-Pueblo’s football national championship.
When: 4 p.m. Jan. 23
Where: Parade beginning at Robert Hoag Rawlings Public Library down Union Avenue to Memorial Hall; events held inside Memorial Hall; block party in parking lot between Memorial Hall and Angelo’s Pizza.

The link: Pueblo sets celebration for Pack champs | The Pueblo Chieftain

Old 01-11-2015, 09:15 PM

The quarterback for CSU Pueblo, Bonner, graduates this year so they needed to find a a new quarterback for next season and it looks like they found a very good one.

Gavilan freshman quarterback Drew Fryhoff was offered and has accepted a scholarship offer from Colorado State Unviersity – Pueblo, the 2014 NCAA Division II National Champions. Fryhoff, who graduated from Pioneer High School in San Jose, completed 56.4% of his passes for 1,849 yards and 16 touchdowns and rushed for three more touchdowns in 2014 with the Rams. He earned honorable mention All-Golden Coast League for his efforts. Drew will begin classes at CSU-Pueblo on Monday and is looking forward to joining his new teammates and competing for the starting quarterback position with the Thunderwolves.

Highlights of him at Gavilan College:

Freshman Season Highlights 2014 - Drew Fryhoff highlights

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-11-2015 at 10:06 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 11:23 AM

CSU Pueblo was recognized on the floor of the U.S. Senate! He got the name wrong, he said Timberwolves, but thats ok.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:39 PM

Cool logo for the upcoming parade and block party!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:13 PM

Here is the 2015 football season schedule for the defending national champions CSU Pueblo.

SEPTEMBER

Sep. 05, 2015 Central Washington 6:00 PM
Sep. 12, 2015 at West Texas A&M TBA
Sep. 19, 2015 Western State * 6:00 PM
Sep. 26, 2015 Western New Mexico * 6:00 PM

OCTOBER

Oct. 03, 2015 at Adams State * 6:00 PM
Oct. 10, 2015 Fort Lewis * Homecoming 2:00 PM
Oct. 17, 2015 at Chadron State * TBA
Oct. 24, 2015 Colorado Mines * 2:00 PM
Oct. 31, 2015 at Black Hills State * 1:00 PM

NOVEMBER

Nov. 07, 2015 Colorado Mesa * 2:00 PM
Nov. 14, 2015 at New Mexico Highlands * TBA

It would be cool to win the national title back to back! GO PACK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football