U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,811,608 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear how some of you would explain to one of the children that was raped after that incident exactly why Paterno should be able to leave with his dignity.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 AM

417 posts, read 310,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Sad day for Penn State and JoePa. He was resigning after this season yet they fired him? They really shot themselves in the foot and from the rioting that's taking place on the campus now, they probably realize it.

JoePa is NOT the perverted attacker, he's probably the BEST known coach in college football and has the 2nd highest numbers of wins for any coach in history! Penn State lost one of their best. Long live JoePa!

Joe does not deserve to leave with dignity, and the school would look even worse if they allowed him to finish the season. He did not do enough.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 AM

235 posts, read 449,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Joe does not deserve to leave with dignity, and the school would look even worse if they allowed him to finish the season. He did not do enough.
Yup.

If he wanted to leave with dignity he should have resigned immediately instead of saying he was finishing the season and then retiring. Just another example of how he doesn't 'get it'. Slap in the face to the REAL victims. JoePa is not the victim here. Those innocent children are the victims...let's not forget that. Joe could have saved himself and his 'legend' by doing the right thing years ago.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 AM

12,276 posts, read 11,337,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
When you state hitting you are referring to all out beating and not discipline measures. If I spank my child's hand and you come along as a hero it will not be in YOUR best interest. I agree with your list minus the hitting if solely conducting discipline.
You are correct. One knows it when one sees it.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 AM

12,276 posts, read 11,337,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGMetroWest View Post
Yup.

If he wanted to leave with dignity he should have resigned immediately instead of saying he was finishing the season and then retiring. Just another example of how he doesn't 'get it'. Slap in the face to the REAL victims. JoePa is not the victim here. Those innocent children are the victims...let's not forget that. Joe could have saved himself and his 'legend' by doing the right thing years ago.
None of them "get it". Not even with a 2x4. Denial is a powerful powerful defense mechanism.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM

19,413 posts, read 17,514,246 times
I'll say this. Paterno built the Penn State football program. he built the stadium. he built much of Penn State University. he was loved by the fans. He was loved by his team. He made the team a leader in academic achievement among players and made it excel in ethics and deportment, at kleats up until the very last few years. But all that was thrown away by his not going further in exposing and stopping this abomination that was going on under his nose. BUT... he was not among those involved. And there may have been a legal cover up he was not aware of. Maybe he loved his program too much and couldn't see the necessity to see it tainted. That was wrong. Maybe he was getting senile. He did the wrong thing but there is a limit to what you can hold him accountable for.
But with all he's done and considering he wasn't involved and did at least do something, it was stupid on the part of the board of trustees to fire him like that. They should have fired him if he wouldn't voluntarily and immediately step down, but they should have given him the chance to step down and to reach out to the students who supported him. They could have avoided this riot and the further tarnishment of Penn State. I think the trustees should be the next to step down, they've shown they have poor judgement as much as anyone.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,811,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
They could have avoided this riot and the further tarnishment of Penn State.
I think the majority of people think that by firing him immediately they actually helped Penn State's image, not tarnished it more.

And no, I'm not talking about Penn State students and Paterno idolists.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:55 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I would bet my nickel that they demanded his resignation and he refused.
I'm with you...

Old 11-10-2011, 09:56 AM

235 posts, read 449,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'll say this. Paterno built the Penn State football program. he built the stadium. he built much of Penn State University. he was loved by the fans. He was loved by his team. He made the team a leader in academic achievement among players and made it excel in ethics and deportment, at kleats up until the very last few years. But all that was thrown away by his not going further in exposing and stopping this abomination that was going on under his nose. BUT... he was not among those involved. And there may have been a legal cover up he was not aware of. Maybe he loved his program too much and couldn't see the necessity to see it tainted. That was wrong. Maybe he was getting senile. He did the wrong thing but there is a limit to what you can hold him accountable for.
But with all he's done and considering he wasn't involved and did at least do something, it was stupid on the part of the board of trustees to fire him like that. They should have fired him if he wouldn't voluntarily and immediately step down, but they should have given him the chance to step down and to reach out to the students who supported him. They could have avoided this riot and the further tarnishment of Penn State. I think the trustees should be the next to step down, they've shown they have poor judgement as much as anyone.
We don't know that this wasn't the case though. The fact that he came out and said he would retire AFTER the season makes me think he didn't want to go immediately. He had the chance to leave and publicly stated he was staying. If I had to guess...I think this is exactly what happened. The board gave him the chance to go and he didn't want to so they were forced to fire him.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM

16,532 posts, read 20,994,530 times
I closed two other threads involving this issue just a while ago. While subjects like this stay on topic for a while, the longer this ordeal goes the more likely the thread topic goes astray, which is why I made this thread a "sticky". And there is nothing wrong with that in this case as the happenings at Penn State over the last several days are as disgusting and appalling as anything can be.

Again, a quick reminder to people who don't ordinarily post on the sports forums. People will not attack each other on this forum. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football