U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,315,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'll say this. Paterno built the Penn State football program. he built the stadium. he built much of Penn State University. he was loved by the fans. He was loved by his team. He made the team a leader in academic achievement among players and made it excel in ethics and deportment, at kleats up until the very last few years. But all that was thrown away by his not going further in exposing and stopping this abomination that was going on under his nose. BUT... he was not among those involved. And there may have been a legal cover up he was not aware of. Maybe he loved his program too much and couldn't see the necessity to see it tainted. That was wrong. Maybe he was getting senile. He did the wrong thing but there is a limit to what you can hold him accountable for.
But with all he's done and considering he wasn't involved and did at least do something, it was stupid on the part of the board of trustees to fire him like that. They should have fired him if he wouldn't voluntarily and immediately step down, but they should have given him the chance to step down and to reach out to the students who supported him. They could have avoided this riot and the further tarnishment of Penn State. I think the trustees should be the next to step down, they've shown they have poor judgement as much as anyone.
Balanced post in many ways. I disagree with you about the trustees action and think it goes a long way to support pride in doing the right thing. There are many shades of gray here it's not all black and white....until it's your kid. Then it's real clear I would suspect.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM

5,706 posts, read 8,125,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
They really shot themselves in the foot and from the rioting that's taking place on the campus now, they probably realize it.
I'm 49, but I certainly remember what I was like as a 20 year old college student. When it came to real world issues such as what's taken place at Penn State, I was pretty much brain dead.

College kids are always up for a good old-fashion raising hell event of any kind, and they don't need to understand why they're doing what they're doing in order to get involved. Its just fun raising hell when you're 20 years old.

The vast majority of these kids are just as brain dead as I was at their age. With time, they'll look back and say: I really didn't Get It, did I?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:55 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,315,840 times
^ Well said.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 AM

4,247 posts, read 10,549,904 times
Glad PSU dumped Joe and hopefully the entire board and coaching staff. Now is the time to find everyone from the police department, DA office, coaching staff and school board that was involved in this back in the 90's and find out everything they can.

This town where this all happened sounds like it was protecting a child rapist.

Also if anyone seen Matt Milan on ESPN crying about this needs to know one thing. HE WAS ON THE BOARD OF Sandusky's charity for 3 yrs. And it's hard to believe he didn't hear of these issues about him until now either. To many people failed these kids by not speaking up about this child rapist. I hope these kids can get the help they need and one day forgive everyone for letting this happen. Humans suck.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM

28,197 posts, read 47,592,879 times
News, Penn State Scandal: Can We Trust Coaches with Our Kids?

As Penn State reels from a sex-abuse scandal that led Wednesday to the ousters of Joe Paterno, the winningest coach in major college football, and university president Graham Spanier, parents are left wondering whom to trust.

Read more: After the Paterno Dismissal: What Kids Need to Know About Sex Offenders - - TIME Healthland

Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,377,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

Also, I have to wonder why Mike Mcquery (the GA who witnessed one the rapes) is actually still a coach on the staff as of now (2:08 on Thursday morning). IMO, he should've been fired before JoePa did. He witnessed the attack, he had a chance to stop it, and he did nothing!! Tell me why he's still employed as an assistant coach??
I'm really confused by that too.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:44 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,851,641 times
Latest allegations (rumors) are that Sandusky was pimping out kids to rich donors. It is being investigated by more than one journalist as I type.

“There is a rumor … Jerry Sandusky and The Second Mile were ‘pimping out’ kids to rich donors,” Madden said on WEEI-AM.

Allegation: Sandusky “Pimped Out” Kids (http://phillysportsdaily.com/college/2011/11/10/allegation-sandusky-pimped-out-kids/ - broken link)

Here is an article the same guy wrote in April of this year;

Madden: Sandusky a State secret - Timesonline.com: Mark Madden:

Pretty accurate for being written 7 months ago. We've only seen the tip of the iceburg.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sa...rk-madden.html

"The other thing I think that may eventually become uncovered, and I talked about this in my original article back in April, is that I think they'll find out that Jerry Sandusky was told that he had to retire in exchange for a cover-up," Madden said. "If you look at the timeline, that makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

Last edited by nevergoingback; 11-10-2011 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,125,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Latest allegations (rumors) are that Sandusky was pimping out kids to rich donors. It is being investigated by more than one journalist as I type.

“There is a rumor … Jerry Sandusky and The Second Mile were ‘pimping out’ kids to rich donors,” Madden said on WEEI-AM.

Allegation: Sandusky “Pimped Out” Kids (http://phillysportsdaily.com/college/2011/11/10/allegation-sandusky-pimped-out-kids/ - broken link)

Here is an article the same guy wrote in April of this year;

Madden: Sandusky a State secret - Timesonline.com: Mark Madden:

Pretty accurate for being written 7 months ago. We've only seen the tip of the iceburg.

Jerry Sandusky Rumored to Have Been 'Pimping Out Young Boys to Rich Donors,' Says Mark Madden - College Football - NESN.com

"The other thing I think that may eventually become uncovered, and I talked about this in my original article back in April, is that I think they'll find out that Jerry Sandusky was told that he had to retire in exchange for a cover-up," Madden said. "If you look at the timeline, that makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
If that is anything close to what happened, they might just as well take a torch to Happy Valley.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Sad day for Penn State and JoePa. He was resigning after this season yet they fired him? They really shot themselves in the foot and from the rioting that's taking place on the campus now, they probably realize it.

JoePa is NOT the perverted attacker, he's probably the BEST known coach in college football and has the 2nd highest numbers of wins for any coach in history! Penn State lost one of their best. Long live JoePa!

Someone that covers up child abuse does not deserve to leave on their own terms.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:17 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,377,491 times
Colin Cowherd on ESPN was speculating yesterday that there was something behind Sandusky's retirement. He retired in his 50s. That is really early for a coach to be hanging it up. I think the excuse was that the only head coaching job he wanted was Penn State, and he retired when he knew he would never get that job, but that sounds like a lot of BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football