U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,805,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
JoePa was in the wrong for not going to authorities, YES.

BUT, he's done more for Penn State than any single individual ever has. He turned a mediocre football team into a powerhouse in college football. He's donated millions of his own salary BACK to Penn State for different projects. He's encouraged students to excel in both sports AND academics, being a proponent of getting good grades.

I'm not for vilifying someone because of a single mistake in life, God knows we've all made them. I would never damn an individual who has done SO MUCH for having an error in judgement.

Time will only tell what happens but Penn State might come under some serious financial hurt if the big alumni donors stop future donations to the school. I'm thinking the board might've shot themselves in the foot by firing someone who pledge to quietly resign after this season. If they would've let JoePa finish out the season, they would've avoided a lot of this chaos.
No one cares what the financial impact will be. It doesn't matter. Little boys were being raped. More were raped because Paterno chose not to push it. And you think people should make decisions on this guy because of money? That is sick.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,292,439 times
You all are awfully quick to crucify a man who had a lapse in judgement. Crucify Sandusky, he's the perp who committed those atrocities but don't throw someone under the bus who doesn't deserve it.

Haven't we all made mistakes in life? Don't we all have regrets?

God knows I have more regrets than I can count but I'm human, I make errors! Paterno admitted he was in the wrong, that he should've done more. I'm not going to be a part of throwing him under the bus for being human.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,292,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
No one cares what the financial impact will be. It doesn't matter. Little boys were being raped. More were raped because Paterno chose not to push it. And you think people should make decisions on this guy because of money? That is sick.
Nobody cares? Obviously that's a nice sentiment to hold but in reality, EVERYTHING is about money. If Penn State loses hundreds of millions of dollars from firing Paterno, I guarantee they'll care.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,415,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Joe Paterno should have had the guts to stand up and say, "I'm Joe Paterno, this is my school, and that crap doesn't happen on my watch."

He should have called the cops, the D.A. and the dog catcher to clean that scum out of his locker room. Legacy? He could have had a legacy as the man who did the right thing.

He should have... but he tried to help out his friend instead with Tony Soprano type thinking he could control any situation. Terrible judgement. On all of them. I am amazed they were running a university.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,260,590 times
Quote:
You all are awfully quick to crucify a man who had a lapse in judgement. Crucify Sandusky, he's the perp who committed those atrocities but don't throw someone under the bus who doesn't deserve it.

God knows I have more regrets than I can count but I'm human, I make errors! Paterno admitted he was in the wrong, that he should've done more. I'm not going to be a part of throwing him under the bus for being human.
Mistakes have consequences. The consequences of Paterno's mistakes are that he got fired and who knows how many more children got molested. I'd say Paterno got the better end of the bargain by a long shot. And anyone who sheds a tear for him is a moral imbecile.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,690,959 times
Quote:
You all are awfully quick to crucify a man who had a lapse in judgement.
A "lapse in judgement" is eating a dish of prunes before you get out onto the highway.

This was a heck of a lot more than a lapse in judgement.

You might want to buckle up because it appears things are going to get a whole lot worse for JoePa and the university.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,805,910 times
Quote:

We all make mistakes. And we should all be held accountable for them. But certainly you must realize there are small mistakes and then there are big mistakes. And there are different reasons for making mistakes. Some seem reasonable and some don't.

Of course I have made mistakes. Have I made a mistake that lead to children being raped? No.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 PM

417 posts, read 310,831 times
Joe Paterno is one of many people who enabled the rape and molestation of countless numbers of kids. They ALL deserve scorn.

There are small mistakes, and then there are big mistakes. And way above those big mistakes, are the decisions you make after someone confides in you that they WITNESSED A TEN YEAR OLD BOY BEING RAPED! Holy ****, it doesn't get any more black and white then that. If someone I knew was doing that to little kids, I'd personally take a bat to the brain and be labeled a hero for it.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM

286 posts, read 614,449 times
Quote:
JoePa was in the wrong for not going to authorities, YES.

BUT, he's done more for Penn State than any single individual ever has. He turned a mediocre football team into a powerhouse in college football. He's donated millions of his own salary BACK to Penn State for different projects. He's encouraged students to excel in both sports AND academics, being a proponent of getting good grades.

I'm not for vilifying someone because of a single mistake in life, God knows we've all made them. I would never damn an individual who has done SO MUCH for having an error in judgement.

Time will only tell what happens but Penn State might come under some serious financial hurt if the big alumni donors stop future donations to the school. I'm thinking the board might've shot themselves in the foot by firing someone who pledge to quietly resign after this season. If they would've let JoePa finish out the season, they would've avoided a lot of this chaos.
To say Paterno made an "error in judgement" is a massive understatement. Campus police and administrators have known about Sandusky since 1998, when he admitted to groping and showering with children. It was very likely Paterno would have heard the allegations as well, considering Sandusky was a possible replacement for head coach at the time.

Fast forward to 2002. McCreary tells Paterno he saw something inappropriate in the showers. Any normal person would ask what McCreary saw. Paterno would have us believe McCreary didn't tell him specifically, instead only vaguely hinted at "groping." Very odd then that McCreary would later tell administrators the Sandusky was flat-out raping the child. Do you think for one second this information was not relayed back to Paterno, or that McCreary didn't tell him in the first place?

The picture that emerges is fairly clear: Paterno is covering his own a**.

Paterno had nearly a decade to do something. He did nothing. He remained on the board of Sandusky foundation, which we now know was a way to ensnare young boys. At no point, did Paterno tell Sandusky to quit frequenting the locker room, or quit bringing young boys to closed practices. At no point, did Paterno tell a known child-rapist to quit hanging out around his players.

So let me ask you. If your child were repeatedly slammed by some creep and Paterno overlooked it for years on end, would you describe it as an "error in judgement?"

Last edited by mcredux; 11-10-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 03:11 PM

53 posts, read 73,611 times
Drover, DewDropInn, AKrunner88, Bless you all, each one of you. Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football