U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,465,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
fail, I haven't seen any comparisons that anyone has offered up as far as levels of outrage regarding the "dog lovers" that are applicable to this story
I am a dog lover and I am sickened and outraged by this.

People who continually say Paterno did what he had to do just don't get it and they don't get college football. There was an investigation in 98, and Sandusky was told he wouldn't be the next head coach and retired the next year. You don't think there was a reason for that? Paterno testified to being notified by McQueary in 02 about Sandusky and a 10 year old boy in the shower. Whether McQueary was clear or not that it was sodomy doesn't matter. A man and a boy showering together and "horsing around" like that is WRONG. When Paterno realized nothing was done he should have notified authorities himself and made sure Sandusky was banned permanently from campus and anything to do with PSU football. Caring enough to find out who the victim was might have been nice too.

People need to stop saying there was nothing else he could do. This is a major college football school and the man was God there. I guarantee what he wanted, he got. That's the way it is at these schools. He turned the other way and that's why his "legacy" is now tarnished and for good reason. I say good riddance.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 AM

53 posts, read 73,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Just fire him already. First off, he should have been one of the first fired anyways. Secondly, he'll never be able to coach again obviously, so just cut ties with the scum bag already. I can't understand why their even letting him stick around, its appalling.

Also, I love how on the news PSU fans were trying to make a point that by firing Joe Paterno their going to sit down on Saturday when the part of their alma mater "May no act of ours bring shame" comes on. Someone said that the univeristy is going against that by putting shame on Joe and firing him and everyone else because of an act(s) they all did. Um, no dumbasses, the line means that anyone who represents the university shall not do an act to bring shame on the university
Thanks for pointing this out. I was wondering how many are shocked by the blatant stupidity of these students, and the parents who raised them. Jumping up & down & carrying on & dumping over news vans @ Paterno's house. Please. Maybe they are all used to sexual abuse themselves & endorse it.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,308,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
And if you read between the lines on that, Sandusky hung out in the parking lot for a few hours after being seen by the janitor. He didn't just do his deed and then run along. He intimidated his victims, and apparently people who caught him in the act as well. McQueary was most likely scared of Sandusky, and Paterno, and what might happen to him if he didn't tow the line. When Paterno didn't go to the police, McQueary should have gone to the DA immediately. But, obviously out of "loyalty" or whatever bad reason, he didn't. It's not really hard to see how he was scared to go over peoples heads..but of course he should have and his name is ruined now forever because of it.

This sick case has a trail of victims beyond just the boys who were assaulted..I looked at second miles home page yesterday..that is a huge orginzation..there are scores of people who I'm sure thought they were working for a good cause, who had no idea they were basically enabling a pedophile....people who donated money who simply had no idea.

And what is the real bottom line in all this? What really enabled this guy to get away with this for so long where most people wouldn't? Penn State Football, it's legacy, and it's place and power in that area of PA. Without that Sandusky never gets away with what he's doing for that period of time. The guy who oversaw Penn State police is a Paterno cronie. He did nothing when he could have buried Sandusky. As far as I'm concerned, Penn State and everybody involved in this shoudl be sued out of existence by Sandusky's victims. They should be auctioning off that land to pay off all the victims.
What happened is terrible but I don't think it should destroy Penn State. Everyone is so quick to criticize from the window looking in but what if you were in that position? Some of you I'm sure would do the right thing and go to the police but others...I'm not so sure if you'd risk your reputation as well as that of the school.

It's unfortunate that there are sick individuals out there, I'd certainly be a proponent of locking them all up for good, BUT I'm not a proponent of destroying reputation of those who didn't commit the crime.

Is there more to be uncovered? Yes and the scale of this may shock many people. From what I've been hearing, Penn State is definitely going to be in some serious financial hurt after the civil cases are through and I've heard about 4 very large donors to PSU that are completely halting future donations pending the outcome of this.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,308,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna113 View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. I was wondering how many are shocked by the blatant stupidity of these students, and the parents who raised them. Jumping up & down & carrying on & dumping over news vans @ Paterno's house. Please. Maybe they are all used to sexual abuse themselves & endorse it.
Oh please, this type of behavior has happened on numerous campuses and occasions throughout the decades. Don't acted so surprised.

If I was a student at PSU, I probably would've been right there with them protesting Paterno's firing. College students know they have strength in numbers and when they stage an outpouring of support, many students want to be part of the action.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 AM

10,799 posts, read 13,722,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I am a dog lover and I am sickened and outraged by this.

People who continually say Paterno did what he had to do just don't get it and they don't get college football. There was an investigation in 98, and Sandusky was told he wouldn't be the next head coach and retired the next year. You don't think there was a reason for that? Paterno testified to being notified by McQueary in 02 about Sandusky and a 10 year old boy in the shower. Whether McQueary was clear or not that it was sodomy doesn't matter. A man and a boy showering together and "horsing around" like that is WRONG. When Paterno realized nothing was done he should have notified authorities himself and made sure Sandusky was banned permanently from campus and anything to do with PSU football. Caring enough to find out who the victim was might have been nice too.

People need to stop saying there was nothing else he could do. This is a major college football school and the man was God there. I guarantee what he wanted, he got. That's the way it is at these schools. He turned the other way and that's why his "legacy" is now tarnished and for good reason. I say good riddance.
100%. Anybody who thinks Paterno is so old man who just didn't realize what was going on here is full of it. When the admin wanted to get rid of him a few years ago because the team stunk, he basically threw them out of his house and told them that he'll retire when he wants to retire. He RUNS THAT TOWN.

If you think he couldn't have buried Sandusky and helped the kids that were hurt because he didn't have the power..in 1998...or 2002...or anytime in between, you're an idiot. Paterno chose to cover up and protect himself before kids, and in the end that's his legacy. If he stepped in in 1998 and had seen Sandusky taken away in handcuffs and disavowed himself from the situation, he would be considered an upstanding guy by this point, once the dust settled admisdst the intial scandal, which would be a fraction of the story this is.

Instead, he continued to enable the guy. Everytime I try to get my head around this thing it's more sickening.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM

10,799 posts, read 13,722,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
What happened is terrible but I don't think it should destroy Penn State. Everyone is so quick to criticize from the window looking in but what if you were in that position? Some of you I'm sure would do the right thing and go to the police but others...I'm not so sure if you'd risk your reputation as well as that of the school.

It's unfortunate that there are sick individuals out there, I'd certainly be a proponent of locking them all up for good, BUT I'm not a proponent of destroying reputation of those who didn't commit the crime.

Is there more to be uncovered? Yes and the scale of this may shock many people. From what I've been hearing, Penn State is definitely going to be in some serious financial hurt after the civil cases are through and I've heard about 4 very large donors to PSU that are completely halting future donations pending the outcome of this.

You make a hero out of a football coach, and turn him into a demigod, you pay the price when it turns out he's a self-centered egomaniac.

As far as I'm concerned the victims of Sandusky's crimes and Paterno and his staffs negligence should own Penn State after this. There are 8 vicitims in the grand jury report..multiply that a few times POST 1998 to understand the gravity of this.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 AM

12,298 posts, read 11,361,224 times
The cards have been played. Here is the law.

049 Pa. Code §*42.42.*Suspected child abuse—mandated reporting requirements.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,465,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
100%. Anybody who thinks Paterno is so old man who just didn't realize what was going on here is full of it. When the admin wanted to get rid of him a few years ago because the team stunk, he basically threw them out of his house and told them that he'll retire when he wants to retire. He RUNS THAT TOWN.

If you think he couldn't have buried Sandusky and helped the kids that were hurt because he didn't have the power..in 1998...or 2002...or anytime in between, you're an idiot. Paterno chose to cover up and protect himself before kids, and in the end that's his legacy. If he stepped in in 1998 and had seen Sandusky taken away in handcuffs and disavowed himself from the situation, he would be considered an upstanding guy by this point, once the dust settled admisdst the intial scandal, which would be a fraction of the story this is.

Instead, he continued to enable the guy. Everytime I try to get my head around this thing it's more sickening.
Agreed. I keep hearing people use the excuse that he was 75 and maybe he just didn't understand how serious the situation was. Really? If the man was that old and senile in 02, why do they still want him as coach?!

If Paterno loved PSU so much he would have just stepped down immediately. It's pretty convenient that this didn't come out until after he got his win record. I have never bought into his sainthood image.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 AM

52,137 posts, read 41,961,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Some of you I'm sure would do the right thing and go to the police but others...I'm not so sure if you'd risk your reputation as well as that of the school.

Yeah, because a winning football program is worth a little child rape for the greater good.

Seriously, WTH? If I find out that my neighbor is a scout master and had first had knowledge of another scout master molesting my kids.....and did nothing? Gee....yeah....we shouldn't destroy his reputation over something like helping to conceal child rape?

Not only does that destroy reputations, it's jail time.

Death Penalty for the football program too.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:01 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,921,438 times
Unless you have some self serving interests I don't see how any rational person can defend Paterno's non action in this matter.
There are no viable excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football