U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 10:20 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,197,328 times

Advertisements

Some donors have already pulled out.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 AM

87,098 posts, read 102,857,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Some donors have already pulled out.
Well, Penn State will have to learn to deal with that. I think the outrage from the donors will die down over time.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:37 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,308,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, Penn State will have to learn to deal with that. I think the outrage from the donors will die down over time.
Eventually everything will return to some normalcy but because there is more to learn about the depth of the situation, it'll take more time than usual. Big donors will still give but will likely withhold donations until everything dies down.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:47 PM

87,098 posts, read 102,857,992 times
FWIW, I just spoke with my MIL in Nebraska. I asked her what the general feeling was there, and she said most people felt things went well, no violence.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 PM

12,298 posts, read 11,361,224 times
I am actually glad that the game went well. No need to punish the innocent and a clean game is a standard that people can hold to during rough times.

The coming trial will be interesting. It will be also notable to see who Sandusky rats out. This monster at this point has nothing to lose and everything to gain by playing cards with the DA. In addition, the civil suits will commence shortly against the school. I wonder if the Federal gov't will get involved as a civil rights issue.

Either way the school is going to foot the bill (that is with many M's) for the next foreseeable future. If Sandusky flips, more charges could be pressed on others.

If I was a kid who had been molested by this freak, I would be front seat with the best lawyer from a red state at my side.

Bring the pain to these popular monsters....yup; you too Joe.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:47 PM

16,536 posts, read 21,026,342 times
Am going to shut this thing down for tonight to let cooler heads prevail, will re-open it tomorrow morning. I agree with sections of both arguments, but when it becomes a personal nature, the dialogue ends up this way; O-U-T. Let's not do this, OK?

I'm trying to give people room to vent, room to complain, and not be a hard-a*s here.

Thread is now re-opened.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-14-2011 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 08:02 AM

8,418 posts, read 8,417,874 times
Oh lawdy!

Not to mention that both judges who let Sandusky walk in 2002 and last week are volunteers at his Second Mile "charity".

Is this all just coincidence, or does Happy Valley harbor a good ol' boy pederast club?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 AM

30,242 posts, read 47,491,480 times
The judge who reduced the bail the prosecutor was asking and did not require an ankle monitor is a female---
and there are many people who volunteer at Second Mile--
I just think the fact that she and the other judges involved did not recuse themselves because of their history have allowed the cloak of suspicious behavior to spread a wider cover...
whether she has any "evil" connection to Sandusky via Second Mile involment or not--
comments are already targeting her decision as preferential...

that is not a good thing for an HONEST judge's career...

Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 AM

30,242 posts, read 47,491,480 times
Article in today's local paper (Fort Worth TX) about TX's requirement to report suspected sexual child abuse...
aparently TX laws are a good deal more demanding from witnesses than PA's--
Texas child abuse expert outlines the state's reporting law | Local News | News from For... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/11/13/3523000/reporting-child-abuse-is-required.html - broken link)

What are the legal obligations of reporting suspected abuse in Texas?

We are a mandatory reporting state, and what that means is that our state mandates that anyone who suspects abuse must report it. That means report it to authorities, local law enforcement, not your boss.

If they even suspect abuse they are required to report it, not just if it's an eyewitness account. It's a much lower burden of proof. They don't have to be 100 percent sure that it happened, if it's just suspected.

Aren't people afraid of turning in their neighbors, their co-workers or their relatives?

In Texas, the law protects the reporter. They do not need to be the judge and jury or do their own investigating.

If they report in good faith, that's all they need to do.

Texas does have a time frame; a professional reporter who suspects abuse must make the report within 48 hours. A professional reporter would be a pediatrician, a teacher, a soccer coach, a therapist.

They are absolutely protected as long as they've done it in good faith. Not only are they protected in that capacity, but their identity is protected. (underlining is mine)

Do people face any legal actions if they don't report a case of abuse?

They do. Not reporting is a Class A misdemeanor. Failure to report is punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $4,000. There are other circumstances with stronger punishment. An example might be if a mother knew that child sexual abuse was going on and did nothing. That carries much harsher punishment than a Class A misdemeanor.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Apparently a PA legislator is going to reintroduce a bill to make ssomethingimilar the law in PA--he did it before and it never made it--
Maybe this time people will see that reporting suspicions or eye witness testimony to "your boss" who may have a vested interest in downplaying the evidence/criminality of the incident is not the best way to deal with a true sexual predator of children...
and I don't care if your boss is a school principal or an athletic director or the head of IBM...
POLICE need to investigate child abuse cases...not generic citizens...
and even when police or CPS get involved--the case is not always handled in the best way--as the 1998 investigation of Sandusky proves...

Old 11-14-2011, 08:20 AM

16,536 posts, read 21,026,342 times
Just 10 minutes ago on the NBC Today Show that bit of news ScoPro and loves2read just posted was aired on their news segment.

Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football