Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

I saw some interviews outside the Penn State game with some fans.

The first guy was all, "I feel bad for the victims in this tragedy blah blah blah". The fan was making it sound like it was some sort of car accident instead of years of abuse and cover-up.

The second guy just screamed at the reporter, blamed the whole thing on the "media" blowing things out of proportion etc.

I guess I'm of the impression that alot of Penn State fans are still in denial over the gravity and scope of the problem.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I saw some interviews outside the Penn State game with some fans.

The first guy was all, "I feel bad for the victims in this tragedy blah blah blah". The fan was making it sound like it was some sort of car accident instead of years of abuse and cover-up.

The second guy just screamed at the reporter, blamed the whole thing on the "media" blowing things out of proportion etc.

I guess I'm of the impression that alot of Penn State fans are still in denial over the gravity and scope of the problem.

I agree Mathguy. I saw that the Jo Pa fans were saying "We love you Joe Pa"!! right outside his home---defending the louse! I can't wrap my head around this!

I know some of the students had a vigil for the abused victims though....but so many of these students treat him like he's God, sadly! and they can't think outside the box!

Paterno wishes he had done more? I wish he had done ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Paterno did DO SOMETHING!!! He reported it to the AD and the President and they dropped the ball.

Could he have done more? ABSOLUTELY!!! Where he FAILED was reporting it to the police when he saw the AD and the President were doing nothing about it.

Paterno did what was REQUIRED of him by the schools CODE OF CONDUCT! Where he failed was his MORAL obligation.

Am I defending him? Hell no!! He should have done his MORAL OBLIGATION. Since he didn't, he failed and is guilty like the rest of them.

To say he did nothing tells me a lot of people don't have the facts!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 AM

^ -He never told the police! That is my gripe. Being a mother, how on Earth could he live with himself not getting the police involved. The man has 5 children and 17 grandchildren. In my opinion, I think he didn't do anything (in a broad sense of the word). He was probably in fear of losing his job if he "rocked the boat" by going to authorities himself.

He's responsible for what he didn't do. Would he be okay with this if this was one of his 5 children or his 17 grandchildren who was in that shower getting molested? Hell no! He let it keep happening imho. I believe it could have prevented Sandusky from harming even more children if he told authorities.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
I've gotten some not too complimentary dm's regarding shutting down this thread. I've had to do this on two consecutive nights, If I have to do it every night, I will.

I will continue to do this if that's what it takes to be civil toward each other.

I know who posts regularly on both college and pro football forums and who doesn't.

No personal insults, thread hijacking, stalking, etc.

Thread re-opened.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-14-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Double H: I, for one am glad you are the one moderating this thread. You are doing a great job.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
[b]He's responsible for what he didn't do. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Could he have done more? ABSOLUTELY!!! Where he FAILED was reporting it to the police when he saw the AD and the President were doing nothing about it.

Paterno did what was REQUIRED of him by the schools CODE OF CONDUCT! Where he failed was his MORAL obligation.

Am I defending him? Hell no!! He should have done his MORAL OBLIGATION. Since he didn't, he failed and is guilty like the rest of them. !
I said Joe was guilty for not exercising his moral obligation. Going to the police was his MORAL obligation.

To say he did nothing is incorrect. He did report it to his higher ups...What was required of him by PSU code of conduct.

They (PSU) fired Joe and rightfully so!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
I still do not understand why everyone is blaming Joe-McQueary stated he isn't sure he told Joe pa that he saw a child being raped-he said he saw inappropriate behavior-
I don't get it...McQueary saw that child being RAPED and did nothing..he walked away and called his dad? If you and I are friends ...and you ran up to me and said "hey I saw a guy being inappropriate to a woman." And the woman was actually being raped-why is this my fault? I understand this is emotional and sickening-but Joe Pa is just a coach at the end of the day-he reported it to his superiors-just like he was supposed to-and they did nothing-in the world of school administration you do not "follow up" with incidence..when your superiors tell you it's being handled, you do not question it. What moral obligation? How about the moral obligation of Mcqueary? hindsight is 20/20 but how do you walk away when you SEE a child being raped? That to me makes me sick-

Last edited by dnvrsoul; 11-14-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I said Joe was guilty for not exercising his moral obligation. Going to the police was his MORAL obligation.

To say he did nothing is incorrect. He did report it to his higher ups...What was required of him by PSU code of conduct.

I understand and respect your opinion about "morally speaking" (same as mine)...I just think he failed miserably overall....Unfortunately I think parents are going to think twice about wanting to send their children to Penn State as well as college bound students. Sad situation.

I am sure that PSU code of conduct will be changing. I just don't understand how he didn't do more....reporting to his supervisor was not enough. It's just common sense. These are somebody's children. God help me if these were mine.

[QUOTEThey (PSU) fired Joe and rightfully so!
][/quote]
Agreed.

Quote:
I still do not understand why everyone is blaming Joe-McQueary stated he isn't sure he told Joe pa that he saw a child being raped-he said he saw inappropriate behavior-
I don't get it...McQueary saw that child being RAPED and did nothing..he walked away and called his dad? If you and I are friends ...and you ran up to me and said "hey I saw a guy being inappropriate to a woman." And the woman was actually being raped-why is this my fault? I understand this is emotional and sickening-but Joe Pa is just a coach at the end of the day-he reported it to his superiors-just like he was supposed to-and they did nothing-in the world of school administration you do not "follow up" with incidence..when your superiors tell you it's being handled, you do not question it. What moral obligation? How about the moral obligation of Mcqueary? hindsight is 20/20 but how do yuo walk away when you SEE a child being raped? That to me makes me sick-
Dnvr: I agree. There are SO many people involved in this nightmare. I am sure many more will come out too.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:35 AM

"Pennsylvania's law is in need of repair," Wes Oliver, associate professor at Widener University School of Law, told ABC News. "Pennsylvania's law requires someone who learns through the course of his or her employer that a child is being abused that person go to their supervisor -- all the way up to the head of the organization."

Joe Paterno did this. He went to the AD and to the President. PA's laws are flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football