U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2011, 04:48 PM
 
30,165 posts, read 47,394,029 times
Reputation: 16115

Advertisements

There was a news story about Paterno going to the local hospital Thursday I think--w/o his wife or son with him from what I heard--
then his son comes out with news that his dad has treatable form of lung cancer--
two points--
If this Sandusky horror fest has not broken news and Paterno was still coaching Penn State and maybe getting a Bowl nomination--do you think you would have heard about the cancer???

In my book--No--Paterno would have wanted to be viewed as Iron Joe--and definitely seen as someone who had recovered from the injury when he was hurt in practice earlier this year--which confirmed the fact that he is basically an old man and his bones are brittle...

and 2--which do you think is going to be cured quicker--
Joe Paterno's lung cancer or someone who was abused/raped by Jerry Sandusky for 4 years of his life on a fairly regular basis???

if that sounds calous--then I guess I am innured to Joe Paterno as a victim....

 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
It would have been released regardless because of who he is.

Let's all remember who (Sandusky) committed the violent crimes.
But maybe not just right now. I agree with those who say it's a distraction technique.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,186,735 times
Reputation: 4916
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There was a news story about Paterno going to the local hospital Thursday I think--w/o his wife or son with him from what I heard--
then his son comes out with news that his dad has treatable form of lung cancer--
two points--
If this Sandusky horror fest has not broken news and Paterno was still coaching Penn State and maybe getting a Bowl nomination--do you think you would have heard about the cancer???

In my book--No--Paterno would have wanted to be viewed as Iron Joe--and definitely seen as someone who had recovered from the injury when he was hurt in practice earlier this year--which confirmed the fact that he is basically an old man and his bones are brittle....
I disagree. This would have been big news here in Pittsburgh regardless of what is happening today. It might not have made international news, but it certainly would have been big news here in the 'Burgh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But maybe not just right now. I agree with those who say it's a distraction technique.
Maybe so, but who do you think is taking all the heat for this whole escapade? That's right...Joe Paterno. You hardly hear mention of the name Sandusky. Joe's a much bigger target for the media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Perhaps, but a raised eyebrow about the timing of his son all over ESPN is certainly consistent with distracting people from the crimes committed (point taken) by Sandusky.
See reply to Katiana....same post applies here.
 
Old 11-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I disagree. This would have been big news here in Pittsburgh regardless of what is happening today. It might not have made international news, but it certainly would have been big news here in the 'Burgh.

Maybe so, but who do you think is taking all the heat for this whole escapade? That's right...Joe Paterno. You hardly hear mention of the name Sandusky. Joe's a much bigger target for the media.

See reply to Katiana....same post applies here.
Ya think? Maybe it seem like it there in PA, but not here in CO, where many people don't see Paterno as God, and therefore aren't as interested in him. Do keep in mind Paterno's family released this information themselves.
 
Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 AM
 
30,165 posts, read 47,394,029 times
Reputation: 16115
I just think that IF Paterno were still coaching the info about him having cancer would never have come out--
they could have covered his trip to the hospital by saying he went there to be checked for the injury where he was run over in practice--after all neither his wife nor son went with him--because (to their credit) they did not expect to get the diagnosis of lung cancer
IF Joe Paterno was still coaching and hoping to earn a Bowl bid for the Lions, he would never allow anyone to know he was "weak" enough to have cancer...
He never reveals anything about his football program or anything he does not want to come out...
This info came out because it is stratetic media management--

So who cares if Paterno is in the news vs Sandusky--
it takes two to tango--
Yes, Sandusky was the perpetator but the people who looked the other way allowed him to continue his pedophelia w/o investigating or turning him over to an UNBIASED agency are guilty--maybe not legally under PA law--but society has a right to maintain order and protect its children...
to do that people who refuse to look below the surface into the murky, dirty areas that pedators swim...well, society needs to know who they are too...

Why do you think history and other societies excorated the German people who never worked at a concentratin camp, never directly killed a Jew or homosexual--
because they were complicit in Hitler's incompassing plan to eradicate Jews and other "undesireables"

Knowing that many times pedophiles actually managed to be brought to trial and avoid conviction makes me terribly afraid that Sandusky might be able to do the same...
PA apparently has some very lax laws--i.e. the recuse rule for judges, the lack of "mandatory report" laws regarding child abuse, the evidentiary rules themselves....even McQueary's problamatic emails -- they all could lead to a hung jury or a not guilty verdict--

It could very well wind up being that people KNOW Sandusky is guilty but the state could not make its case---OJ Simpson's murder trial is a perfect example of having a certainty turn into a fiasco in the court room...,

While I understand that Paterno was not the one actually in the shower room, he has still been coated with the fallout of Sandusky's personal guilt...and there is nothing now than can be done to clean that off IMO
Especially if there is proof that in the past other evidence came forward that shows Paterno either knew or turned away from knowledge--that in itself (the avoidance of involvement) can be crippling to someone's reputation--
 
Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,186,735 times
Reputation: 4916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ya think? Maybe it seem like it there in PA, but not here in CO, where many people don't see Paterno as God, and therefore aren't as interested in him. Do keep in mind Paterno's family released this information themselves.
I, for one, do not see JoePa as God, but I still think the cancer dx would have come out regardless of what is happening today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I just think that IF Paterno were still coaching the info about him having cancer would never have come out--
they could have covered his trip to the hospital by saying he went there to be checked for the injury where he was run over in practice--after all neither his wife nor son went with him--because (to their credit) they did not expect to get the diagnosis of lung cancer
IF Joe Paterno was still coaching and hoping to earn a Bowl bid for the Lions, he would never allow anyone to know he was "weak" enough to have cancer...
He never reveals anything about his football program or anything he does not want to come out...
This info came out because it is stratetic media management--

So who cares if Paterno is in the news vs Sandusky--
it takes two to tango--
Yes, Sandusky was the perpetator but the people who looked the other way allowed him to continue his pedophelia w/o investigating or turning him over to an UNBIASED agency are guilty--maybe not legally under PA law--but society has a right to maintain order and protect its children...
to do that people who refuse to look below the surface into the murky, dirty areas that pedators swim...well, society needs to know who they are too...

Knowing that many times pedophiles actually managed to be brought to trial and avoid conviction makes me terribly afraid that Sandusky might be able to do the same...
PA apparently has some very lax laws--i.e. the recuse rule for judges, the lack of "mandatory report" laws regarding child abuse, the evidentiary rules themselves....even McQueary's problamatic emails -- they all could lead to a hung jury or a not guilty verdict--

It could very well wind up being that people KNOW Sandusky is guilty but the state could not make its case---OJ Simpson's murder trial is a perfect example of having a certainty turn into a fiasco in the court room...,

While I understand that Paterno was not the one actually in the shower room, he has still been coated with the fallout of Sandusky's personal guilt...and there is nothing now than can be done to clean that off IMO
Especially if there is proof that in the past other evidence came forward that shows Paterno either knew or turned away from knowledge--that in itself (the avoidance of involvement) can be crippling to someone's reputation--
I still disagree--the cancer info would have been made public. Trust me! When he sh*t his pants on the football field one time--it was major news here in PA! A cancer diagnoses would be major news here as well.

While I agree Joe is not blameless in this situation..(He looked the other way), I still see people talking mostly about him instead of the real perp--Sandusky. I also agree that Joe deserves having his reputation go to pot. He is not blameless by no means.

This whole conversation (recent) is about whether or not the cancer diagnosis would have come out --not whether Joe is guilty...and I think that it would have. If him having diarrhea on the field one Saturday is major news, you can damn sure bet lung cancer would be major news too! Even if he wanted to keep it quiet (like he wanted to do with the diarrhea), it would have leaked to the press
 
Old 11-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I, for one, do not see JoePa as God, but I still think the cancer dx would have come out regardless of what is happening today.



I still disagree--the cancer info would have been made public. Trust me! When he sh*t his pants on the football field one time--it was major news here in PA! A cancer diagnoses would be major news here as well.

While I agree Joe is not blameless in this situation..(He looked the other way), I still see people talking mostly about him instead of the real perp--Sandusky. I also agree that Joe deserves having his reputation go to pot. He is not blameless by no means.

This whole conversation (recent) is about whether or not the cancer diagnosis would have come out --not whether Joe is guilty...and I think that it would have. If him having diarrhea on the field one Saturday is major news, you can damn sure bet lung cancer would be major news too! Even if he wanted to keep it quiet (like he wanted to do with the diarrhea), it would have leaked to the press
I'm just guessing here: You're not a native Pennsylvanian, particularly from the central/eastern part of the state.

Considering Paterno's son made the announcement, I think your scenario is incorrect.

I never heard about this diarrhea business. We don't care that much here in CO about JoePa's bowels. Health professionals are pretty good about confidentiality, they wouldn't likely be the ones to leak the cancer diagnosis.

My brother in PA who is a PSU graduate (main campus) thinks this cancer thing is a diversionary tactic.
 
Old 11-20-2011, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,186,735 times
Reputation: 4916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm just guessing here: You're not a native Pennsylvanian, particularly from the central/eastern part of the state.

Considering Paterno's son made the announcement, I think your scenario is incorrect.

I never heard about this diarrhea business. We don't care that much here in CO about JoePa's bowels. Health professionals are pretty good about confidentiality, they wouldn't likely be the ones to leak the cancer diagnosis.

My brother in PA who is a PSU graduate (main campus) thinks this cancer thing is a diversionary tactic.
You would be wrong! I'm a native Pennsylvanian--born and raised! I live about 2 hrs from Happy Valley!

While it may be a diversionary tactic (you may be right)--WHAT I'm saying is ...the cancer diagnosis would STILL have surfaced. If his bowel problems surfaced you can damn sure bet that his cancer diagnosis would have surfaced also ...ESPECIALLY here in PA!!!

You just proved a point! You NEVER heard about "this diarrhea business!" Guess what? It was all over the news here in PA for weeks!! Don't think for one minute that his cancer dx wouldn't be all over the news here as well. Because of the situation at hand--his health news is getting national attention now!

Also, I'm in the healthcare profession--have been for over 21 years! When Tammy Wynette was here incognito being evaluated for a liver transplant--guess what? Her info "leaked" out to the press!! It's not a far stretch to have JoePa's cancer dx "leak" out either, given his status here in PA. The fact that his son leaked it ...he was probably looking for sympathy for his father, but it still would have leaked out even if this whole situation was not a factor.
 
Old 11-20-2011, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
12,276 posts, read 11,337,192 times
Reputation: 6124
Lets be real. The goal of Paterno, The University and the attorneys for Sandusky are the same and has been for decades. Their mission is to allow a predatory pedofile to continue to operate on the bodies of innocent young boys. That is also the goal of the vatican and the catholic church. It is at it's core a grouping of criminals and sexually perverse men who pray upon innocent children. Both have gone out of their way to keep the truth away from the public again for decades. Why? Becuz they like it. They enjoy the perversity and the sexual aberration. They LIKE it. They have created a coven of vermin, money lawyers to keep it safe, like raw meat in a cave. And when they get close to being caught they invoke God.

Their venture, is the business capital of child flesh and it's abuse. They will trade anything (Paterno's cancer is just a minor ploy) to continue the degradation of sex, (it's why they insist on no birth control and no abortion) while at the same time profiting in private from a slave trade in young boys. They are beyond the courts, beyond justice and beyond a true divinity. Worst of the worst, they have sold tickets for heaven and will sell your son or mine if they can.

These monsters are cunning, their PR campaign is professionally managed and they INTEND to stay in business. The only thing sacred to them is their own perverse interests. They have been doing this since the 2nd century AC. You may want to remember this when we remember who we're really talking about. It is a vast criminal conspiracy in sexual deviation. It's their goal, its what they want and it will be what they protect.

They don't want to change a thing except your opinion of them.
 
Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
You would be wrong! I'm a native Pennsylvanian--born and raised! I live about 2 hrs from Happy Valley!

While it may be a diversionary tactic (you may be right)--WHAT I'm saying is ...the cancer diagnosis would STILL have surfaced. If his bowel problems surfaced you can damn sure bet that his cancer diagnosis would have surfaced also ...ESPECIALLY here in PA!!!

You just proved a point! You NEVER heard about "this diarrhea business!" Guess what? It was all over the news here in PA for weeks!! Don't think for one minute that his cancer dx wouldn't be all over the news here as well. Because of the situation at hand--his health news is getting national attention now!

Also, I'm in the healthcare profession--have been for over 21 years! When Tammy Wynette was here incognito being evaluated for a liver transplant--guess what? Her info "leaked" out to the press!! It's not a far stretch to have JoePa's cancer dx "leak" out either, given his status here in PA. The fact that his son leaked it ...he was probably looking for sympathy for his father, but it still would have leaked out even if this whole situation was not a factor.
You know, I never heard that Tammy Wyntte stuff, either. Now maybe that's b/c I don't much care about what celebs are doing, or maybe it's b/c it takes a while for news to get out here to flyover country, but still. A lot of this stuff is mainly local, and while the locals (any locality) may think the whole world knows about something, that is often not the case.

So who reported the diarrhea? The sportscasters? His SON reported the cancer, called a press conference, I believe.

I'm not much into speculation (have accused many of having a crystal ball, so need to stay honest), but health professionals can usually keep their mouths shut about a diagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top