U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 05:58 AM

12,273 posts, read 11,332,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
What Paterno going on the field in that condition proves is that nothing is more important than PSU football. To me it just shows how unreasonable he is about giving up some control. He wouldn't then and he would not let any truth of Sandusky's amoral behavior come before his football program
Bingo.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 AM

788 posts, read 1,380,399 times
Shouldn't be surprised this happens at almost every program, but yes football is more important then anything else.

@WSJ: Joe Paterno clashed repeatedly with Penn State's former chief disciplinarian over punishing his players Joe Paterno Fought Penn State Official Over Punishment of Football Players - WSJ.com

Old 11-22-2011, 08:12 AM

30,145 posts, read 47,370,265 times
Had not read the entire WSJ article when I started to respond--
as far as I am concerned the info in that article with specific quotes from the parties involved from PSU documents and the information regarding specific acts by PSU football players that broke university and public rules just confirms that Paterno ruled with an iron hand, that he believed in special rules for "special" people (meaning his football team), that he wanted and allowed minimal oversight by PSU staff, that he would use his fundraising power as leverage to get what he wanted in way of preferrential treatment, and that he was willing to sacrifice ANYONE who got in the way of his program...

This same attitude is probably true of almost any really successful (or even unsuccessful) athletic program on college level--I am not naive--
what is naive is to believe Paterno was more than human...
The overwhelming insight to take away from even the meagerest glimpse into the history of his rule as football god at PSU is "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM

52,003 posts, read 41,835,728 times
So, university of Miami today announced they would voluntarily not seek a bowl bid due to their ongoing booster scandal.

No doubt this is an effort to mitigate the NCAA punishment but it does make one wonder if PSU will follow suit.

Would either team do so if they were undefeated and chasing a national championship? LOL....heck no.

Ah, the joys of bigtime college football.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM

Sandusky lawyer: High bail would be tough to make - CBS News

and I care because...because...
oh-yeah--I don't care...

Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,132,783 times
Report: one of two new alleged victims of Sandusky was a family member | CollegeFootballTalk

Why isn't this sick SOB locked up?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
^^Coming soon:

Penn State Scandal: Sandusky Likely To Be Remanded To Jail, Lawyer Says : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,184,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
It it were you or I, we would be locked up.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM

does not surprise me--nor the comment on that website that Sandusky's crime history will likely go back to the 70s--
do the math--sexual predators become active when they become sexually active--
I bet Sandusky has been acting inappropriately with boys younger than he is since he has been a young teen...

I just hope the family report is not from divorced daughter in law--she has court order to prevent Sandusky from seeing her children--two younger girls and toddler boy (I believe)--w/o another adult being present--
if she filed report that Sandusky abused the granddaughters that is not likely accurate---
his pattern is that his target prey is prepubescent boys--at least initially--and then the process of abuse can last until they are older as long as the boys don't really break away or Sandusky goes on to a new target...

without knowing who the victims are my suppositions are just my analysis of what is out there about his past behavior though--but there is NO suggestion that Sandusky was going after young girls--they are not even involved with Second Mile activities which seems to focus totally on young males...
and I bet a nickle that if Sandusky was exhibiting similar behavior with young girls he was not directly related to I can't help but believe that he would have been outed much sooner...

For one thing he never would have been allowed to have young girls in his private hotel room on trips--

I for one just think that is so overtly bizarre that it screams "PERVERT" to me.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Just to show that PSU is not the only place where justice and police investigation seem contra-indicated:

District attorney blasts Syracuse police chief over Bernie Fine investigation - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News

There are have been suggestions posted on line (not in legitimate news stories really) that the current Governor of PA who was involved in the earlier part of Sandusky's investigation--and might have been involved in delaying the scope/pace of the investigation
In Syracuse it is the police dept with its leaders' feet to the coals now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football