U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 03:33 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,003,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Let me say it again:

He should have called the police, not left it up to his superiors because some backarsewards Pennsylvania law allowed him to get away with that. He was more concerned with his precious football than he was about the welfare of children who were being raped.

You just completely made up that entire sentence. Not a word of it based on any facts.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,179,608 times
Default Pa state law!

(c) Staff members of institutions, etc.--Whenever a person
is required to report under subsection (b) in the capacity
as a member of the staff of a medical or other public or private
institution, school, facility or agency, that person shall
immediately notify the person in charge of the institution,
school, facility or agency or the designated agent of the person
in charge. Upon notification, the person in charge or the
designated agent, if any, shall assume the responsibility and
have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made
in accordance with section 6313.
This chapter does not require
more than one report from any such institution, school, facility
or agency.

Joe Paterno notified the person in charge of the institution and that person assumed the responsibility and had the legal obligation to report the abuse. Joe did what he was required to do!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
So your moral compass is based on if a law is broken? Yikes.
Did I say what he did was morally right?? No! In fact I said the opposite in a previous post. He did what was required of him by state law! See the law I posted above!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
[/b]

You just completely made up that entire sentence. Not a word of it based on any facts.
Right! It is pure opinion...not facts.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:39 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,301,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Let me say it again! Take some time and read our state laws on reporting child abuse!

And what does that mean "if you are to be believed"???

Let me be clear, as it seems you do not understand: Your state has lousy laws. In a just world, what he did would be considered a crime and he would have been charged, convicted, and left to rot in jail.

Just because your state has lousy laws, that does not excuse his cowardly, selfish behavior. There is such a thing as moral courage, and he had none.

Quote:
So your moral compass is based on if a law is broken? Yikes.
Apparently. Amazing how people will defend the indefensible. "Oh, he did what he was required to do." Give me a break. In what world is it okay to stand by knowing that there is a predator among your staff?

Good riddance to a coward.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:41 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,274,688 times
Quote:
(c) Staff members of institutions, etc.--Whenever a person
is required to report under subsection (b) in the capacity
as a member of the staff of a medical or other public or private
institution, school, facility or agency, that person shall
immediately notify the person in charge of the institution,
school, facility or agency or the designated agent of the person
in charge. Upon notification, the person in charge or the
designated agent, if any, shall assume the responsibility and
have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made
in accordance with section 6313.
This chapter does not require
more than one report from any such institution, school, facility
or agency.

Joe Paterno notified the person in charge of the institution and that person assumed the responsibility and had the legal obligation to report the abuse. Joe did what he was required to do!
Right. He did not break any laws.

He just showed he cares more about protecting his football program than to make sure child abuse stopped occurring. Doing the minimum when kids are being raped might be enough to avoid the law but it's not enough to avoid people from thinking you have a horrible grasp on what is moral/ethical.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Let me be clear, as it seems you do not understand: Your state has lousy laws. In a just world, what he did would be considered a crime and he would have been charged, convicted, and left to rot in jail.

Just because your state has lousy laws, that does not excuse his cowardly, selfish behavior. There is such a thing as moral courage, and he had none.
What would he be charged for exactly? In what state in the country are you charged for a crime you did not commit, did not witness and reported as a secondhand account to your supervisor?

Please give me one example of one state or one country in the world that has a law like this.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Escaped justice? He was never going to jail over this! He did what he was supposed to do--he reported it to his superiors. The superiors dropped the ball. Was he morally wrong--yea, probably. Did he commit a crime--no! Did his superiors commit a crime--yep!

More people should read up on PA state laws re: reporting child abuse. Because of this scandal, our laws on reporting child abuse will most likely change. JoePa did what he was supposed to do according to our state laws.
Yes...I did say he was morally wrong! But to say he escaped justice!?!?! C'mon! He did what was required of him by state law. His superior failed in reporting it to the police. Sadly, Tim Curley (AD for PSU) did not report it after Joe Paterno reported it to him. Tim Curley could be on the front page of every paper in America and not one of you could identify him! However, Paterno's face could be on it and almost everyone could ID him. He was the face of PSU--so let's put all the blame on him.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
What would he be charged for exactly? In what state in the country are you charged for a crime you did not commit, did not witness and reported as a secondhand account to your supervisor?

Please give me one example of one state or one country in the world that has a law like this.
I would like to know the answer to this as well...as it seems Yzette does not understand.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Apparently. Amazing how people will defend the indefensible. "Oh, he did what he was required to do." Give me a break. In what world is it okay to stand by knowing that there is a predator among your staff?

Good riddance to a coward.

More misinformation. Sandusky was not employed by Joe Paterno or Penn State at the time of the incident. Joe had no control over his access to campus as per Sandusky's retirement package.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:49 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,301,166 times
Quote:
Right. He did not break any laws.

He just showed he cares more about protecting his football program than to make sure child abuse stopped occurring. Doing the minimum when kids are being raped might be enough to avoid the law but it's not enough to avoid people from thinking you have a horrible grasp on what is moral/ethical.
That sums it up nicely.

Those who wish to defend that POS can do so until they are blue in the face. His failure will never be acceptable to me. Good riddance to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football