U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM

51,974 posts, read 41,825,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
He wasn't being paid as an employee. He was getting his pension from the University and was still on staff of his charity is maybe what you're referring to.

I don't know whether your report that he was "always around the program" is accurate or not. I heard he would bring the kids from his charity around practice at times, but I don't think he was always around.

He did have access to the football facility as part of his retirement. After the incident in 2002, he was banned from bringing the children from his charity onto campus. I think he still did on a few occasions however. Which Penn State has yet to explain why that was allowed.

Also, after the McQueary incident was reported, school officials did report the incident to Sandusky's charity.
Um. why did he retire *abruptly*? He was still allowed to bring kids around after that eh.

Then, *something* happened in 2002 that banned him from bringing kids around but again.....hmmmmmm.....no criminal charges. Geee, what would be so bad that a school would BAN him from bringing kids around but wouldn't get cops called? Seriously? You are using this to DEFEND Penn State? LMAO.

Seriously, for a collegiate hero, forced into retirement for whatever reasons....what would you have to do to get those type of collegiate penalties?

why don't some of you jsut come clean?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,004,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The good is rightfully overlooked by the masses because of him doing the moral minnimum with serious and disgusting activity occurring around him at the university he built. Good men are measured by how they act in bad times/situations, not good times/situations...

It goes back even before that, to 1998, when he retired Sandusky.

(mod edit-sentence deleted)The only reason he cared about handling this differently is because of how he will look down the road.

If it was about the kids, he would have done more in 1998, or 2002, or even 2007, but he didn't. I can understand dropping the ball in 1998, but in 2002, hearing about the same activity being conducted by the same man from a GA who is acting oddly, it is inexcusible. He should have picked up the phone the second time around and called the police. He dropped the ball when it mattered the most...multiple times.
Joe said he wasn't aware of 1998 so not sure why you include that. What happened in 2007?

There was one incident in all of these allegations that involved Joe Paterno and that was 2002. When his Graduate Assistant reported to him that he saw Sandusky having inappropriate contact with a minor.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um. why did he retire *abruptly*? He was still allowed to bring kids around after that eh.

Then, *something* happened in 2002 that banned him from bringing kids around but again.....hmmmmmm.....no criminal charges. Geee, what would be so bad that a school would BAN him from bringing kids around but wouldn't get cops called? Seriously? You are using this to DEFEND Penn State? LMAO.

Seriously, for a collegiate hero, forced into retirement for whatever reasons....what would you have to do to get those type of collegiate penalties?

why don't some of you jsut come clean?
Where did I defend Penn State in the text you quoted? Come clean about what exactly?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's nice to know that Penn State can have this outpouring of emotion for Joe....after rushing to defend him when the scandal broke.

I would like to note that had Penn state had a poor program....Paterno would have been fired 40 years ago.

So, it's realy sad that WINNING GAMES somehow grants you some sort of immunity from scrutiny and criticism.

Yeah folks let that sink in....Paterno is beloved and protected because he WON football games. His conscious decision was to give a mulligan to a child molester.

It's pretty cool that those of use that DESPISE the ability to rape kids as long as you are winning football games....are met by those that make claims that this is all some sort of *media bias* when really, you've just bought into the nostalgia and cannot come to grips with reality. It's cool though, there are many in the catholic church that claim the preist scandals aren't real either and are the work of the devil.

Hey at least you had a successful football program. Yay!
My opinion of Joe has nothing to do with how many football games he won.

..And you shouldn't try to paint people with such a broad brush in life. Just because you hold a certain opinion doesn't mean everyone else's opinion is inadequate.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:10 PM

51,974 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
My opinion of Joe has nothing to do with how many football games he won.

..And you shouldn't try to paint people with such a broad brush in life. Just because you hold a certain opinion doesn't mean everyone else's opinion is inadequate.
He won a bunch of games. If he'd lost them your previous Penn State fans would have booed him out of town.

Heck, look at your new coach.....not exactly a warm welcome and why? He's not thought to be a strong candidate.

Win games. Free pass. Sandusky road those same coat-tails.

FYI- You aren't alone though, many other bigtime athletic programs have done terrible things for $$$, you just think you aren't part of that sleaze-pit.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,121,449 times
ESPN Classic - Bear Bryant 'simply the best there ever was'

Quote:
...snipped..."Even his peers in the coaching business felt in awe of him," Paterno said. "He had such charisma. He was just a giant figure."...snipped....
I always liked Bear Bryant better.

Quote:
Bryant and Paterno met 4 times as head coaches (1975, 1979, 1981, 1982) with Bryant winning all four games.

But I guess they were friends......

Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,760,220 times
I think Joe Paterno was a decent man, but like all human beings he had his problems and flaws.

I think if you line up every player that he coached at Penn State, most of them would admit the they cared for him, and would tell you that he positively effected them one or the other.

He did a lot of great charitable work ------he was involved in foundations and great causes.

To automatically label him a scoundrel due to the revelations is unfair.

It is sensible to point out that he used poor judgment in handling the situation the way he did. This could have been because, in his own mind, he thought that by simply telling other officials at Penn State about what he knew may have discharging his responsibilites.

In the sense that all coaches have their own fraternity, I dont know what went through his mind about simply reporting all this to the police. Yes, I think he didnt exactly do what he should have done-----for that he can be viewed skeptically.

This stain is going to dim greatly the career of Paterno and always leave people to question his legacy---as well as it should. That being said, until more facts and evidence come to light as to what exactly his role was, I am not going to cast him off to hades.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,278,657 times
Joe Paterno

Good summary.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,240 posts, read 3,220,533 times
Anyone that thinks Joe Paterno had "supervisors' at Penn State clearly does not understand who he was at that university.

Joe should and could have done more (as even Joe admitted);

"I didn't know exactly how to handle it and I was afraid to do something that might jeopardize what the university procedure was," he told The Post in an extensive two-day interview at his home in State College, Pa. "So I backed away and turned it over to some other people, people I thought would have a little more expertise than I did. It didn't work out that way."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...y-abuse-report

but this one mistake does not remove an entire career of good deeds and teaching. Joe will be missed.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,183,581 times
I understand perfectly who Joe was at PSU.

"So I backed away and turned it over to some other people, people I thought would have a little more expertise than I did. It didn't work out that way."

These "people I thought would have a little more expertise than I did" were his superiors. The AD Tim Curley was his superior, as was Gary Shultz, Senior Vice President for Finance and Business. And then there is Graham Spanier, PSU President.

I agree with you that he could have done more. All I'm saying is he did what was required of him as PA state law dictates. So to say he "escaped justice" is purely wishful thinking in some peoples minds. Was he ever going to jail for this? H*ll to the no! Did he have a lot of questions to answer? H*ll to the yes!

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 01-23-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football