U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,237 posts, read 3,219,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I agree with you that he could have done more. All I'm saying is he did what was required of him as PA state law dictates!
And all I'm saying is that a man who acheived great power at a university by claiming to be a great teacher and leader should be doing more than what was legally required as "PA state law dictates".

Any 7th grader could simply notify their "superiors" and walk away, and this would probably be acceptable. This is NOT acceptable for the leader of a powerful university that has built a program based on integrity, education, and doing the right thing. Nobody is talking about legal obligation here - the issue is Moral obligation.

All that being said, I still think that this man's one large mistake does not overshadow all of the great things that he has done for others.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,864,869 times
Here is Joe's lagacy to me, direct from his testimony to the grand jury: "Paterno: 'ordinarily would have called someone right away, but it was Saturday and didn't want to interrupt their weekend.'"

Wow...this was a real urgent issue to King Joe....he didn't want to interrupt their weekend.

I have the displeasure of living in PA, surrounded by knuckle-dragging morons who worship at the altar of Penn State football, and still think Paterno is some sort of god. It makes me want to vomit, especially when some of these morons have kids of their own. What are they teaching their own kids? And would they be OK if someone who knew about their own kids being molested just told their boss and then did nothing when their boss did nothing??

Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,608 times
I guess the way I would sum it up is to say that Joe Paterno had a chance to be a hero, but turned out to be all-too-human. He was faced with a real-life 4th and long, and decided to punt. And the results were catastrophic.

But I don't think Paterno should be the focus of people's enmity. The real monster is, and has been, Jerry Sandusky. And hopefully, he'll get the justice that all of his victims are seeking.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,181,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I guess the way I would sum it up is to say that Joe Paterno had a chance to be a hero, but turned out to be all-too-human. He was faced with a real-life 4th and long, and decided to punt. And the results were catastrophic.

But I don't think Paterno should be the focus of people's enmity. The real monster is, and has been, Jerry Sandusky. And hopefully, he'll get the justice that all of his victims are seeking.
Good post.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 PM

1,080 posts, read 827,527 times
I am sorry that he died before he could clear his conscience and do the right thing, but what can you expect from a morally corrupt old coot.

He was a very powerful man and knew absolutely everything that was going on at that school. He predicated values, integrity, ethics, yadayadayada, but it was more important for him to keep the name of an institution from becoming a tarnished brand, so instead of protecting children from sexual abuse, he chose to look the other way. He is no different than Sandusky.

May his name forever live in infamy.

Last edited by mig1; 01-23-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 AM

956 posts, read 3,592,876 times
"I have the displeasure of living in PA, surrounded by knuckle-dragging morons who worship at the altar of Penn State football, and still think Paterno is some sort of god. It makes me want to vomit, especially when some of these morons have kids of their own. What are they teaching their own kids? And would they be OK if someone who knew about their own kids being molested just told their boss and then did nothing when their boss did nothing??[/quote]"

Maybe you should move?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 AM

956 posts, read 3,592,876 times
"He was a very powerful man and knew absolutely everything that was going on at that school. "

And I'm sure you have facts to prove this, right?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,845,218 times
I didn't know much about Penn State but since this story broke and I heard the dialog surrounding the circumstances, I believe the media made Paterno the scapegoat. They would have never been able to bring any charges against him yet they continued to bat it about.

IMO Sandusky's wife is much more culpable as she should have known something was very off with her husband!!! Disgusting how they live right next to a school yard!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,545,592 times
I lived and worked in State College for a few years in the mid-80s. Met my wife there. Prior to meeting my wife, I dated a Penn State woman who introduced me to Paterno. He appeared to be a very decent man. Good-natured, respectful, good-hearted. He appeared to seek the best in human nature, not assume the worst, and I felt this when we talked.

I consider his football legacy to be tainted because the community that supported him appeared to extend to the police department, as if they wanted Paterno to pass Eddie Robinson on the winninest college football coach list. I'm sure Paterno was aware that he was close to getting the record, yet as was his nature, seemingly unconcerned with it. It wasn't until he broke the record that the authorities publically honed in on Sandusky. I just find the timing suspicious, since Paterno and his staff were seen celebrating that victory that moved him ahead of Robinson. They were very aware of that record.

Is it possible that Paterno didn't want to be considered less of a winning coach than a black man? Racism was rampant in State College when I lived there. This is the culture he decided to make his home. State College is isolated from the rest of society. Secluded and surrounded by mountains. It is a difficult place to get to from anywhere else in the state. I met people there who had never even talked to a black person. If Paterno stood against racism, it didn't extend or influence the behavior of the people in that small town and its surrounding burbs like Bellefonte and Boalsburg and Pleasant Gap. These places were full of some real hermits, and some of the most racist and backwards people that I have ever seen.

The naiviety that he showed in not doing more to stop Sandusky is simply inexcusable. When sought-after recruit Bob White was pursued, Paterno took it upon himself to insist that as a condition of his scholarship, White be required to read a certain number of novels during the spring and summer months and write a book report for each. He failed to take such a proactive role in Sandusky and Sandusky depended on this as he continued his crimes. Paterno could've called Sandusky and called the police, and really put a stop to it. But he didn't, choosing to preserve the reputation of the Penn State program and his pursuit to surpass Eddie Robinson's record. Quite a shame. With Paterno, as with State College, as with Sandusky, things were never what they seemed to be.

Paterno appeared to me to be a decent man, one who stood for integrity and character. Yet, he was willing to live in a racist community and ignore the crimes of his pedophile friend in order to surpass the record of a black man. He was willing to allow young boys to be raped by his monster friend, so he didn't have to play second fiddle to a black man on a number of wins list. I find this appalling and a fatal flaw of Paterno as a man and human being.

To hell with Joe Paterno and his ilk.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,845,218 times
Sounds very nefarious A-Lexus

That whole community needs some sexual abuse awareness tips and training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football