U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 06:47 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
IIRC, the NCAA could hammer them for "lack of institutional control", which covers the conduct of coaches and staff.
It's possible. On the other hand, the legal system is already doing that for them, and the consequences there are much worse, so the NCAA doesn't necessarily need to be involved. Besides, there's no sense in punishing anybody other than those who were complicit in the crimes, so I believe that it's best for the new athletic director and head coach to just start all over again.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,380,639 times
I feel like going after the football program would be the only punishment that meant anything, it would also be fitting since that's what they were trying to "protect."

Old 07-12-2012, 10:07 PM

51,950 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's possible. On the other hand, the legal system is already doing that for them, and the consequences there are much worse, so the NCAA doesn't necessarily need to be involved. Besides, there's no sense in punishing anybody other than those who were complicit in the crimes, so I believe that it's best for the new athletic director and head coach to just start all over again.
Oh, so if a team has a head coach paying a star player to come play there and the guy has graduated....there should be no penalty if they just get rid of the head coach per that same logic.

Seriously?

The legal system at this point is going to INCARCERATE multiple PSU guys and probably paterno too if he wasn't dead. The university has insurance to cover the rest.

So how do you punish all the PSU morons (and other schools are morons too) that helped foster an environment where the football coach was the most powerful man on the campus?

Please, not for a second should PSU fans, students and alumni try to shed all blame for erecting a statue to their god-king and empowering him to such heights that he could cover up child rape.

Sorry. I know you are really upset over the molestation....oh wait....totally laughing at that....most of you don't really give a shat unless your team is hit with NCAA violations. Sick sick people.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

The NCAA does not do that any other time... why should it do it now?

ie USC and the Reggie Bush scandal. Who got punished? not Bush, Not Carroll. It was the new players, the new AD, etc...

I am not saying I agree with that or if the NCAA should be involved... but that is the how the NCAA operates when involved.

I think the "school" should impose the punishments on itself.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 AM

424 posts, read 534,550 times
Putting the blame on past "football culture" is a way to exonerate the coaches, policy makers, and (yes) the fans and boosters who helped build it. Yes, the major players here have been fired, put on leave, or killed by cancer, but that doesn't absolve the school or the football program.

I am not an NCAA expert, so I will leave it to them to decide if and to what extent the NCAA should get involved. I do know, though, that seeing 100,000 + fans filling Beaver Stadium this fall, making hollow shows of sympathy for the victims, would make me feel sick. The way to "heal" or "bring closure"---God, I hate when P.R. people issue statements like that---is to dismantle the football culture that had fostered, and will foster again, this abuse of power. Maybe that means a year, three years, a decade . . . I'm sorry to say, though, it's naive to expect any type of stern self-discipline. We hear a lot about "tragedy" and "healing" and "moving on", but little about atonement.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 AM

8,385 posts, read 8,379,009 times
Death penalty for the football program is the only way to cleanse that cult behavior.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,380,639 times
It is crazy to me that a program can get penalties for illegal gifts, paying players, recruiting violations, etc. but not for this?
I know that some would argue that these events were only tangentially related to the football program, but I disagree, those in power at the program were accessories to it.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,866,129 times
If I was a Penn State player, I would be transferring out of the there ASAP. They will get abused at road games this year. I'll bet this becomes a regular sighting:
"Pedobear" Showed Up At The Houston-Penn State Game Today

Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
They were talking about NCAA penalties on the radio this morning. Someone said something that really hit home. Player trades a jersey for a tattoo and there are big sanctions. How is it going to look if there are no sanctions for letting kids get raped?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
It will be very interesting to see if the statue comes down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football