U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM

8,733 posts, read 9,977,114 times

Advertisements

*I read an article the other day about officials considering ending the whole football program. I've never been a big fan of punishing people that had nothing to do with a situation. So, I don't feel banishing the entire football program (all those lost jobs, funds to the school, kids' scholarships etc.) is a smart idea at all. Not saying people shouldn't be emotional about this situation, but a lot of people get that way and start wanting to end this and cut that. ALL of the people involved should be punished, even if they have to scrap the current program, start fresh, new leaders etc. But it should be left at that.

*disclaimer: I am a PSU football fan!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:35 PM

973 posts, read 1,857,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Im not sure Penn State broke any written NCAA rules or regulations. As terrible as this is, I think they are going to leave this up to law enforcement. They are much too busy busting starving students who trade trinkets for tattoos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
They were talking about NCAA penalties on the radio this morning. Someone said something that really hit home. Player trades a jersey for a tattoo and there are big sanctions. How is it going to look if there are no sanctions for letting kids get raped?
Because one violates rules, the other doesn't. Pathetic. Yes, I'm biased, but really protective of the Big 10, and tried to give Penn State the benefit of the doubt. When Tressell was under speculation, I read, and was upset with him. And, um, he's now head of athletics at my alma mater, the U of Akron. *blushes* I don't always agree, but, the innocent, in the aftermath, always get the brunt of the sanctions. Why should Penn State be any different? Even 'that state' looks better.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopro View Post
death penalty for the football program is the only way to cleanse that cult behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
they were talking about ncaa penalties on the radio this morning. Someone said something that really hit home. Player trades a jersey for a tattoo and there are big sanctions. How is it going to look if there are no sanctions for letting kids get raped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
it is crazy to me that a program can get penalties for illegal gifts, paying players, recruiting violations, etc. But not for this?
I know that some would argue that these events were only tangentially related to the football program, but i disagree, those in power at the program were accessories to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
i feel like going after the football program would be the only punishment that meant anything, it would also be fitting since that's what they were trying to "protect."
great points!!!

This is much bigger than football in my eyes... This is a referendum on how athletics and specifically football can have too much influence on a University. How is Penn Stat defined? seriously... Outside of the state, Penn State is simply seen as a football school. Nothing more. Yes people know it is a good school, but that is secoendary. You hear Penn State, you think of football and Joe Pa.

If Joe Pa had not been who he was, had he not built an empire of a program, had the administration not been afraid of losing that identity which translated into revenue via the program or boosters then they would have dealt with Jerry immediately. And lets be honest. Its not about reputation or image as some are saying. It all boils down to money. They were trying to protect the revenue generated by the program. And ultimately decided that money was more important than kids. Collateral damage is how those kids were treated...

College athletics are a privilege... not a right. Universities are about educating first and foremost. If the President and AD of the university are not willing to draw a line of morality vs money then they do not deserve to operate athletics in my eyes. We all know the football revenue pays for the majority of the operating expense of other sports. So if the football money is tainted... so are the other sports. That is why I say they need to kill all of their athletics, not just football. Yes it is unfair to the current students who had nothing to do with it. But we can just consider them to be collateral damage... the same way Penn State admins considered those victims!

Last edited by Mr. GE; 07-13-2012 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,742,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
Because one violates rules, the other doesn't. Pathetic. Yes, I'm biased, but really protective of the Big 10, and tried to give Penn State the benefit of the doubt. When Tressell was under speculation, I read, and was upset with him. And, um, he's now head of athletics at my alma mater, the U of Akron. *blushes* I don't always agree, but, the innocent, in the aftermath, always get the brunt of the sanctions. Why should Penn State be any different? Even 'that state' looks better.
Doesn't the NCAA have some kind of generic "lack of institutional control" that could pretty much be applied to anything?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:25 AM

833 posts, read 1,470,817 times
There is a danger, when any college puts a coach on such a high pedestal, that the coach feels he can do no wrong because the people are behind him.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,271,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
There is a danger, when any college puts a coach on such a high pedestal, that the coach feels he can do no wrong because the people are behind him.
The irony is PSU hasn't been very good in a decade.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,195,585 times
It just gets worse and worse. The arrogance of power.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/sp...=1&_r=1&emc=na

Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 AM

833 posts, read 1,470,817 times
Reminds me of the Bobby Petrino fiasco at Arkansas.

After he got fired, there were questions raised why no one was concerned that Petrino wanted a young 26 year old blonde , with few credentials, to be his recruiting assistant at a $53,000 a year salary.

A prominant member of the booster club said there were suspicions, but-----------" we didn't want to disappoint Bobby "

No coach should be exempt from scrutiny !

Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,377,491 times
I'm guessing on that one that the coach is basically allowed to run things more or less his own way as far as hiring people [assuming people are happy with him.] I would imagine other coaches sometimes make sketchy hires, although maybe not for the same reason. I'd guess too that with the larger programs there is probably plenty of room in the budget for that type of "discretionary" spending.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,851,641 times
Good stuff.

Rick Reilly: Joe Paterno's True Legacy - ESPN

What a fool I was.

In 1986, I spent a week in State College, Pa., researching a 10-page Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year piece on Joe Paterno.

It was supposed to be a secret, but one night the phone in my hotel room rang. It was a Penn State professor, calling out of the blue.

"Are you here to take part in hagiography?" he said.

"What's hagiography?" I asked.

"The study of saints," he said. "You're going to be just like the rest, aren't you? You're going to make Paterno out to be a saint. You don't know him. He'll do anything to win. What you media are doing is dangerous."

Jealous egghead, I figured.

What an idiot I was.

That's just the first of it, it's a pretty good read
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football