Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times

Advertisements

It was basically a cult.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Penn St. students hold vigil

No, not in support of the molested children. They want to protect the Paterno statue. One day they will look back on this and be deeply ashamed.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Amid calls for the removal of football coach Joe Paterno's statue from the Penn State campus, some students have started a vigil to protect it from vandals.

Seniors Mike Elliot and Kevin Berkon organized a gathering at the statue after a plane flew over the campus Tuesday with a banner that read: "Take the statue down or we will."

The students said they would be at the statue again Wednesday night, but weren't sure how long they would keep the vigil.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

No, not in support of the molested children. They want to protect the Paterno statue. One day they will look back on this and be deeply ashamed.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Amid calls for the removal of football coach Joe Paterno's statue from the Penn State campus, some students have started a vigil to protect it from vandals.

Seniors Mike Elliot and Kevin Berkon organized a gathering at the statue after a plane flew over the campus Tuesday with a banner that read: "Take the statue down or we will."

The students said they would be at the statue again Wednesday night, but weren't sure how long they would keep the vigil.
Pathetic. I'm becoming more and more embarrassed every day of my degree from that university.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,891 times
I'll give that vigil two weeks before people finally go away and realize their error by attempting to defend that tainted statue. It won't be long after the stupid vigil somebody or a group of people come and knock it down. I hope its demolition is broadcast live on television for all to see.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 AM

63 posts, read 73,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Allowed one kid to molested, legacy forever tarnished. Eddie Robinson needs his wins back.
The one that I feel bad for is Bobby Bowden because, if this scandal would have surfaced earlier he would have still been at FSU and he would have broke that record.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:12 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eartmoth View Post
The one that I feel bad for is Bobby Bowden because, if this scandal would have surfaced earlier he would have still been at FSU and he would have broke that record.
FSU fans ran him out. He was running that program into the ground.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,935,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

I can overlook the students for being young, naive and stupid, but I can't forgive the State Pen Board of Trustees for being so protective of and hostile to the calls of many to take down that statue.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM

63 posts, read 73,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
FSU fans ran him out. He was running that program into the ground.
I understand that but if that Penn St. scandal surfaced earlier the powers that be at FSU would have never forced him out. Lets face facts here, the ONLY way Joe PA even stayed was because he had the school by the balls.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:01 PM

410 posts, read 342,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Pathetic. I'm becoming more and more embarrassed every day of my degree from that university.
You earned your degree, and have probably paid for it two fold. It is VERY shameful what they are doing though. You have no control over those aspects of PSU so I sure as hell would never hold it against you as a hiring manager or anything.

Any graduate of PSU earned their degree and if this garbage from the football program impacts the academic area, it should only be in areas that are very high level, although I DO understand your anxiety about it; any of us would in your situation.

It truly sucks, not only first and foremost because of the children that were brutalized, but secondly people like you who earned your degree and don't deserve this kickback.

My 2 cents.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Decision in next 72 hours about statue. Someone will take it down if PSU doesn't I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football