U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 05:11 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,922,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Decision in next 72 hours about statue. Someone will take it down if PSU doesn't I'm sure.
Even this hot news flash is stupid. Why is it taking 72 hours? The decision should take 72 seconds!!! Penn St is asking for a true death penalty. The university's handling of this situation will have long reaching effects. As stated in prior posts, what does a degree from Penn St mean anymore? Personally, I would be hesitate to state or post on my wall that I graduated from Penn St. The schools handing of this situation is really embarrassing everyone.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:05 AM

36 posts, read 17,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Even this hot news flash is stupid. Why is it taking 72 hours? The decision should take 72 seconds!!! Penn St is asking for a true death penalty. The university's handling of this situation will have long reaching effects. As stated in prior posts, what does a degree from Penn St mean anymore? Personally, I would be hesitate to state or post on my wall that I graduated from Penn St. The schools handing of this situation is really embarrassing everyone.
The statue has been removed. Penalties against the university to be announced tomorrow. From what I heard the penalties will be the most severe ever in college sports.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 AM

16,534 posts, read 21,020,887 times
AP is right. ESPN reported the statue was taken down early this morning. It is apparently going to be stored in the bottom level of the stadium.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,419,384 times
I think it was good to remove it quietly without fanfare or hoopla...

Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,863,602 times
And the Paterno family continues to look bad. They should just be quiet and stop drawing attention to themselves.

The Paterno family issued a statement only hours later saying the statue's removal "does not serve the victims of Jerry Sandusky's horrible crimes or help heal the Penn State community."

"We believe the only way to help the victims is to uncover the full truth," said the family, which vowed its own investigation following the release of the report by former FBI director Louis Freeh. The family called the report "the equivalent of an indictment -- a charging document written by a prosecutor -- and an incomplete and unofficial one at that."

Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,863,602 times
NCAA president Mark Emmert has decided to punish Penn State with severe penalties likely to include a significant loss of scholarships and loss of multiple bowls, a source close to the decision told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday morning.

But Penn State will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have suspended the program for at least one year, the source said.

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.

The NCAA will announce "corrective and punitive measures" for Penn State on Monday morning, it said in a statement Sunday. Emmert will reveal the sanctions at 9 a.m. ET in Indianapolis at the organization's headquarters along with Ed Ray, the chairman of the NCAA's executive committee and Oregon State's president, the news release said.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,022,778 times
They should allow current players to transfer without sitting out if it is indeed loss of multiple years of postseason bowls.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:38 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,829,387 times
The Penn State boards are going nuts. I know these fans didn't deserve to have this happen to them. But I think directing their outrage at the NCAA is dumb.

It's like the adage goes: All power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Paterno was considered to be beyond reproach, so you had an institution completely and utterly out of control. And while the leadership at PSU was clean on the every-day infractions such as gifts for recruits, etc., they had absolute knowledge that this bottom-feeder was buggering children in the showers. There is simply no question about it. And they did nothing about it. Nothing.

If Paterno, upon hearing of this a decade, had picked up the telephone and called the police, the University might have had some minor publicity problems, but ultimately would have been doing the right thing. But no. In the end, despite all the highfalutin' talk about their noble experiment, football was worth more at Penn State than the innocence of children.

Pull the plug on them. Dynamite the stadium. Sew salt on the turf so nothing grows on the soil, just the way the Romans did to Carthage. Change the school colors. For no football team is worth looking the other way as those kinds of despicable acts were committed. And by doing so, you will have made a statement.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:22 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,292,575 times
Reports are NCAA will fine 30-60 million which will go to child causes.

Ending the program for good seems foolish. Hit them with huge penalties and them let them rebuild years later. My guess is a huge focus of rebuilding will be efforts and support of childrens causes.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:13 PM

23,661 posts, read 33,522,553 times
ESPN reports either death penalty is not on the table. I totally think the death penalty should be applied here. This is the most serious situation to ever happen in college football. If SMU gets it for paying athletes, why not Penn State for covering for a child molestor?

Also removing that statue without fanfare was wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football