Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Can't believe no one has posted the penalties on here yet:

$60M fine
4 year bowl ban
Forfit scholarships (20 per year)
Vacation of all wins back to 1998

Severe, but needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Punishment seems reasonable.
I agree, it's a severe penalty but in this case it's warranted. They were saying on TV that the vacation of all wins from 1998 means Joe Paterno is no longer the winningest coach in college football so that seems appropriate as well IMO.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't see why it would. They are two different things.
Playing on national TV is a tool schools use to recruit. The ban should've covered that as well.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Its an unfair ruling that smacks of indiscriminate knee jerk punishment done to cover the butts of the NCAA heads who are only out to make themselves look good.
They punished Joe Paterno by taking away his wins. Teams win football games, not coaches. And HE'S DEAD, you can't steal from a dead man or change history. This part of the ruling seems the most assinine.
Banning Penn State from bowl games.... I'm okay with this. The bowl games have become a running joke anyway and they're only played to make money. Of course, NCAA has their hands out for a lot of that money, but who cares?
They're hurting the entire university and students over the sad and despicable actions of a few people. Go after THEM. Go to Penn State sometime and look what the football program has done for that campus and the entire educational program. If you say " "Good, make college about education and get rid of football " you only show your ignorance and dull wit and I guess there's not much reasoning with you. College football makes money. Colleges need money. Thats why college football is important.
Fining them $ 60 million ....again the NCAA is all about money but as long as this money is put to the use its intended, I guess its okay. Its sad that the money will come out of the students pockets and shortchange them, but Oh well.
Tear down the statue. I'm okay with this. melt it down. Make souvenir coins from it with a meaningful message and a picture of Beaver Stadium on it and sell them. use the money for the victims or for programs for childhood sexual abuse.
I would just boycott all Penn State games and let the school suffer the consequences. let everybody suffer. The band, the local businesses, the players, the teaching staff. Raise tuition to ocver the loss of revenue. When people see the school getitng shafted they'll put the blame on the NCAA and the NCAA will have made many enemies they'll have to deal with.
I'm very disappointed with Joe Paterno and the running of Penn State. But what's done is done and punishing innocents is not right.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Its an unfair ruling that smacks of indiscriminate knee jerk punishment done to cover the butts of the NCAA heads who are only out to make themselves look good.
They punished Joe Paterno by taking away his wins. Teams win football games, not coaches. And HE'S DEAD, you can't steal from a dead man or change history. This part of the ruling seems the most assinine.
Banning Penn State from bowl games.... I'm okay with this. The bowl games have become a running joke anyway and they're only played to make money. Of course, NCAA has their hands out for a lot of that money, but who cares?
They're hurting the entire university and students over the sad and despicable actions of a few people. Go after THEM. Go to Penn State sometime and look what the football program has done for that campus and the entire educational program. If you say " "Good, make college about education and get rid of football " you only show your ignorance and dull wit and I guess there's not much reasoning with you. College football makes money. Colleges need money. Thats why college football is important.
Fining them $ 60 million ....again the NCAA is all about money but as long as this money is put to the use its intended, I guess its okay. Its sad that the money will come out of the students pockets and shortchange them, but Oh well.
Tear down the statue. I'm okay with this. melt it down. Make souvenir coins from it with a meaningful message and a picture of Beaver Stadium on it and sell them. use the money for the victims or for programs for childhood sexual abuse.
I would just boycott all Penn State games and let the school suffer the consequences. let everybody suffer. The band, the local businesses, the players, the teaching staff. Raise tuition to ocver the loss of revenue. When people see the school getitng shafted they'll put the blame on the NCAA and the NCAA will have made many enemies they'll have to deal with.
I'm very disappointed with Joe Paterno and the running of Penn State. But what's done is done and punishing innocents is not right.
I agree that the punishment does seem to be affecting current students more so than the people who actually committed the crimes. But the NCAA does have to make an example of Penn State. The entire coverup was done by the college to protect it's football program and reputation and I am glad to see both of these getting severe punishments as a result of their actions.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Playing on national TV is a tool schools use to recruit. The ban should've covered that as well.
I agree.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Looks like some Penetration state fans are upset at the penalties handed down. Nothing in the penalties hurts academic students. About the only people it hurts are hard core Penetration State football fans. But don't worry, you'll be bowl elegible in only four years. All the low ranking colleges should start making shirts that say their universities' name, a comma, and then "at least we're not Penn State".

Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Well, the innocents were the ones who were violated in the shower by Sandusky and not protected by Paterno.

More to the point, however, you cannot punish an institution without simultaneously punishing its fans. There is simply no way to do this, and expecting otherwise is to indulge in wishful thinking. Fans will suffer. Sorry. But compared to what those children suffered and will continue to suffer for the rest of their lives, it amounts to a hill of beans.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
PSU executed the NCAA equivalent of watergate, and suffered the same merited wrath. They will NEVER rebound in terms of the stigma involved, nor should they.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
You do not have a good grasp of how football and budgets work at a university. First the fine is coming from the athletic money so students are not paying. Football does not keep
The university afloat. Football spends most of what it brings in and then supports all the other sports.

You can't punish a school and not have collateral damage. When a CEO ruins a company good workers are out of a job.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
PSU executed the NCAA equivalent of watergate, and suffered the same merited wrath. They will NEVER rebound in terms of the stigma involved, nor should they.
Football will return. They have one I the biggest alumni groups in the nation. It will just be in 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football