U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 04:02 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,863,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ironically, wathing PSU get their butts kicked for 5-6 years might be exactly what some of their maniac supporters need.
I was thinking something along those lines. Maybe it would actually be better to see crappy Penn State teams get beat on national television.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
And sadly the NCAA is smiling as they put 60 million in their pocket...lets see how much of that is sent to benefit children and other charities
Doesn't sound like the NCAA is geting any of that money.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:46 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,292,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
With the stripping of Paterno's wins, Eddie Robinson is back on top on the wins list, where he rightfully belongs. The mirage that was Paterno's good character image, has been exposed. I can't say that I'm surprised. I lived in State College during the mid to late 80s, and never bought into that Happy Valley obsession that was Paterno and the Nittany Lions. There always seemed to be hidden issues there. I just couldn't put my finger on it at the time. The penalty is right, surprised it's not more than $60M though, given the nature of the crimes and the cover-up. $600M+ seems more like it.

Eddie Robinson back on top of D-I wins list | Fox News
Bowden has most wins vs real competition.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,292,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Doesn't sound like the NCAA is geting any of that money.
Correct.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,166,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Bowden has most wins vs real competition.
Those black colleges Eddie Robinson coached against probably had as much "real competition" as the teams Bobby Bowden coached against, at least up until the time the SEC, the ACC, and the old Southwest Conference teams integrated on the field in the early 1970s.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 PM

21,639 posts, read 11,671,234 times
The only penalty they could have given out that would have helped me to believe in Div I college football again is if they banned Penn State from every having a football team again.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,829,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Oh, and I also sick of the "how will that help the children?" argument? One, that's a very selfish question displaying how much you care only for the football program, and two, why do we sentence murderers to life in prison or death? That doesn't bring the victims back. We do that because it's punishment.

You Penn State apologists make me sick. So what if your precious football program got hit very hard by the NCAA. So what if you'll have over a decade of mediocrity. Your football team will eventually get better. The same can't be said for the children who were hurt by this sicko, and the children who had an ENTIRE university turn its back to. So think about that before you sob and cry over a lost football season or a lost Paterno statue.
Exactly. I simply cannot comprehend the 'circle-the-wagons' mentality.

Hey, I love football. More importantly, I love college football. But I don't love football to the point where I lose all sense of proportion of what's right and wrong. This gang of amoral thugs did something despicable -- they covered up for a sexual predator in order to keep their football team rolling along. So if you value football that much, then you need to have football taken away from you for a while.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,109,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Exactly. I simply cannot comprehend the 'circle-the-wagons' mentality.

Hey, I love football. More importantly, I love college football. But I don't love football to the point where I lose all sense of proportion of what's right and wrong. This gang of amoral thugs did something despicable -- they covered up for a sexual predator in order to keep their football team rolling along. So if you value football that much, then you need to have football taken away from you for a while.
There does appear to be a Jonestown worship of the conspirator who happened to be the coach, too.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,829,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
There does appear to be a Jonestown worship of the conspirator who happened to be the coach, too.
Yeah. It's weird. I mean, I liked Paterno. But when all this crap bubbled up to the surface, I stopped liking him and started seeing him as a grotesque, morally-blind monster who overlooked some really vile acts to keep his win-loss record strong. Any idiot could see as much.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 PM

I am a huge Steelers fan, but Franco Harris lost my respect.

PITTSBURGH — Former Pittsburgh Steelers and Penn State University running back Franco Harris has been one of Joe Paterno’s biggest defenders since the Penn State scandal broke, and he’s still defending the late coach despite the Freeh Report.
Harris told Channel 11’s Alby Oxenreiter, “After I read the Freeh Report, I feel even more strongly about Joe and about his non-involvement in any type of cover-up. There was no cover up. No way would Joe ever cover-up anything like this. No way would Joe protect Sandusky or protect the football program.”
Harris said he thinks justice was served with the Sandusky verdict, but that Paterno is also a victim, especially in the court of public opinion.
“All of the focus has been on Joe. People blame him more than anybody else and he played such a minor part in all of this,” Harris said.
Harris went on to scoff at any suggestion to take down the Paterno statue that stands outside Beaver Stadium.
“Until we finish with this, with this next trial and even more investigation into this, they really shouldn’t even consider this,” Harris said.
Overall, the Penn State Board of Trustees is the target of Harris’ most direct criticism.
“The Board of Trustees has made every bad decision along the way. These decisions, I’d probably say just about every one, have done things to hurt Penn State,” Harris said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football