Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 04:15 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times

Advertisements

The entire mindset of this college is crazy. A hundred or so PSU students showed up to a rally to support the victims. Thousands showed up to a rally to support Joe Pa. That is insane. Everything related to this case leaves me speechless, close to physically ill, sad, and extremely mad.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:31 PM

53 posts, read 84,954 times
You are 100% correct dude1984. Thank you.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:42 PM

53 posts, read 84,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
@SPORTSbyBROOKS
Penn State grad w/ 'Put Abused Kids First' sign outside game 'showered' w/ beer, slapped, cursed by fans http://bit.ly/vdlBmw
This news article sums up in a nutshell the predominant attitude here. It is sick & disturbing to any person who has whats called common decency & common sense. Except those qualities are not so common here. Thanks for posting it.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
A quick note- a few of the posts I had to delete and will be deleting later most likely are generalized statements and don't directly point to Penn State. Let's make sure the commentary strictly evolves around Penn State, Paterno, and the football program. Thanks.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-12-2011 at 05:26 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 05:15 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
I have not heard anything from the NCAA pertaining to the victims and the cruel intentions pertaining to the victims.

You would think the NCAA would have stated their regrets and show some heart felt emotion to the victims with the Penn State allegations.

President Emmerts statement on Penn State - NCAA.org

Old 11-12-2011, 05:52 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
In the wake of the Penn State child sex abuse scandal, another university, The Citadel military college in South Carolina, revealed on Saturday that it had investigated accusations against a camp counselor but took no action.
The man has since been jailed on separate charges of molesting five boys in Mount Pleasant, near Charleston, South Carolina.
"We regret that we did not pursue this matter further," Citadel President Lt. General John Rosa and Board of Visitors Chair Doug Snyder said in a statement.

In wake of Penn State, another college reveals abuse probe | Reuters

I have no words left.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:33 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
Personally I think Joe should have stepped down about 10 years ago. Penn State went from a powerhouse program that it was in the 70's, 80's and early 90's to a mediocre program. Watch teams like Bama, LSU, USC, Ohio State, Oregon, and Oklahoma and then watch Penn State, there's a difference. Sports is like anything else, you can't stay on top forever. You don't function as well in your 80's as you did in your 40's. The last few years Joe has really showed his age. Whether he was grooming Tom Bradley or his son Jay for the head coaching job is irrelevant now because there will be a whole new staff next year. Beaver Stadium will always be the house that Joe built. I'm sure I will still enjoy going to a game even without Joe on the sideline. That being said there is a famous saying that applies here; "oh what a tangled web we weave when we try to decieve." Something immoral, way beyond the scope of an NCAA violation was going on, and it was not handled properly. The same thing happened in the Catholic church. Priests were sexually molesting young boys for years, for decades, and it was covered up. Now as a result the church has a terrible reputation along with being in serious financial trouble from all the lawsuits. The Catholic church has no one to blame but themselves. The same applies for PSU. Of course it's sad that JoePa has to go out this way, but if he intentionally covered up something of this magnitude then I have no sympathy, (I don't think he did try to mask anything, I've heard he took it to those above him and that's when the ball got dropped). I have no sympathy for anyone involved in this that purposely tried to cover anything up. Penn State is strong. Their football program brings in revenue that is on par with a Fortune 500 company. It won't happen over night, but they will rebuild and put this behind them. I feel bad for the seniors who had to play their last home game under these circumstances. Please, let's not forget the victims in this

Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
just remember at Penn State the only one above Joe Paterno was God--and some people confused the two...and apparently still do...

The adminstration should start right now to lay down the law to these students who are exhibiting some of the same behavior/mindset that would allow THEM to ignore signals of child abuse, date rape, hazing
they obviously have no EMPATHY for anyone but themselves and are seriously immature--
if they can't police themselves then the university better start doing something to get them to reconsider their actions--

get video tape of the students in any public altercation and start suspending students behaving improperly--even if it is being drunk in public
make sure that alcohol abuse is strictly monitored and have more patrolmen on campus to look for violators
institute a curfew and enforce it
read the riot act to the head of every social organization on campus and tell them that if their members are caught committing any acts of vandalism on or off campus they are going to pay the price

they are acting like jerks--and if they can't control their impulses then they obviously are getting a pretty worthless education

Old 11-12-2011, 07:41 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
By rioting?? Dude, please tell me you're pulling our legs. Otherwise I'm going to have a very hard time taking anything you ever say seriously.
Stop being so thin-skinned, rioting is not something new to college campuses. It's happened many, many times because of many, many reasons. I'm obviously not condoning rioting but I'm not shocked that it happened. When you fire someone who had the stature of Paterno, are you really surprised that the student body took to the campus? I could've told the board of trustees that if they fire Paterno, the students are going to riot. I'm not shocked as many of you are.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
OK--I read that story about the man at todays PSU game with the sign --being assaulted by having beer thrown on him and cursed by fans (probably drunken ones)....
my question is where were the police?
on a day like today when there was 1000 times the heightened emotions of any other Senior Day game--why were there not more police on site and why were they not arresting those people who were breaking the law...

to me this is just another example of leadership that lacks foresight and common sense. that really and truly lacks the cojones to back up its politically correct language...
Earliers this week the trustees and the acting president and the interim football coach all came out and made speeches about no tolerance for abuse...
what happened at that football stadium was abuse, folks...
maybe not sodomy of a 10 yr old--but abuse never the less...

Remember the scene in "The American President" when Michael Douglass's character President Andrew Shepherd and his speechwriter played by Michael J Fox get into an argument about leadership and the lack of it in the political arena;

LEWIS: People want leadership, Mr. President, and in the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership. They're so thirsty for it they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

SHEPARD: Lewis, we've had presidents who were beloved, who couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

Well right now everyone who is supporting Joe Paterno and PSU football out of some blind belief that is the right way to behave are drinking sand...
and just like the decisions that Paterno, McQueary, and others made it is so blind-ass backwards that it is only doing more harm than good...

and I too am not shocked by that behavior--the first night--but I am shocked that apparently there is no forethought put into how to prevent further displays of such bad behavior---
please don't equate the campus protests against Vietnam to the drunken binge temper tantrums that PSU students have indulged themselves with...
and yes--the campus police and city police should have been prepared for it after the trustees' cowardly method of firing Paterno--
they did not have the guts to call him in and do it to his face--even though it needed to be done--but it just shows that they were afraid of him up to the last and that there were probably trustees who did not want Paterno to see them acting against him...
there are probably some skeletons in lots of closets and personal debts that could have been called in after such a long career...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football