Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times

Advertisements

So someone actually saw this guying raping a young boy in the shower? And didn't rush in to help him? I can't even fathom that.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
This is what happens when a college sport morphs into a huge business worth billions. I can only image what might be taking place at other universities behind closed doors.

Anyways, a number of people from Penn State will be going to the State Penn where Bubba can do to them what they did to those boys.
Yeah, have you noticed that lately college football is filled with nothing but scandals involving money, illegal gifts given to the kids (though that is debatable), but NOTHING comes close to the mess going on at Penn State. This is a huge black eye for the NCAA and the school. This is such a sick story.

I have a feeling this may be it for Joe Paterno. For the school to really move on from this eventually, their going to start fresh and new with people who weren't even close to be involved in this ordeal. Sure, Paterno is a legend, but he's going to always be questioned in how much he knew and what he could have done to prevent this - assuming nothing comes out, although I'm thinking something will eventually come out. If he did know something and didn't act on it, goodbye historic and legendary run.

Look at Ohio State (Jim Tressel), Texas Tech (Mike Leach), and a few other coaches I can't think of (sorry, it's late and I'm tired) that had to step down due to scandal. Tressel's wasn't even a huge deal in the scheme of things, and Mike Leach's was pretty significant, but both not near the magnitude of Paterno's situation. Both of them stepped down. How on earth is Paterno going to be able to stick around from here on out?

Unfortunately, I think he's going to go out with this scandal. But, in the scheme of things, who cares? Justice needs to be served somehow and that's the most important thing with all of this.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Somebody please tell me why JoePa is still allowed on campus?
Good Ol' Boy network, which is why they attempted to cover this up in the first place.

I don't see how anyone involved can survive this and still keep their job.

BobsBlitz.com ~ WFAN's Kim Jones on the Penn State Sandusky Disgrace [Audio] - YouTube

Old 11-08-2011, 08:38 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,008 times
OU had an incident when a player shot another one in the locker room, but even that pales in comparison. Scandal in general is not anything new in college football, but this is way beyond that.

It's difficult for me to even want to read too much about the story, but it sounds like it's getting worse and worse from the snippets I hear on ESPN. The grad assistant who witnessed what happened in the shower apparently is still there, I think. And Sandusky was allowed on campus with another boy as recently as 2007.

The only way I could see Paterno coming out of it would be if it was determined that he was lied to by the higher-ups, but that's a pretty tough sell.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Say it isn't so, Joe.

I've always admired Penn State. Not so much anymore.

The thing I'm always reminded of is the old wheeze, "Sports builds character." I've just never believed it, especially when today's sports pages reads like the police blotter. But when someone like Joe Paterno could even be peripherally involved in covering up the violation of a ten-year-old boy in the PSU showers, I'm completely convinced that there is something seriously wrong with big-time sports, no matter how good an institution's PR is or how esteemed the head coach might be.

Let there be no mistake. There was one and only one right action in this situation: Call the police. Calling one's father for advice (Like the GA did) or referring it to the AD (Like Paterno did) showed a total lack of moral fiber in what was clearly a black-and-white situation. When confronted with a situation such as this, you either prevent evil or abet it. There is no in-between.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
That first sentence of mine came out kind of clumsy. No, actually I'm good that you posted it here. It needs to be discussed and I'm sure there will be another thread formed on this matter, no doubt in the Pennsylvania forum and maybe down the road on P/OC and True Crime as well.

And I'm in agreement with all posts so far, I'm just floored by what's happening at Penn State

There was a thread placed on P/OC yesterday morning.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Say it isn't so, Joe.

I've always admired Penn State. Not so much anymore.

The thing I'm always reminded of is the old wheeze, "Sports builds character." I've just never believed it, especially when today's sports pages reads like the police blotter. But when someone like Joe Paterno could even be peripherally involved in covering up the violation of a ten-year-old boy in the PSU showers, I'm completely convinced that there is something seriously wrong with big-time sports, no matter how good an institution's PR is or how esteemed the head coach might be.

Let there be no mistake. There was one and only one right action in this situation: Call the police. Calling one's father for advice (Like the GA did) or referring it to the AD (Like Paterno did) showed a total lack of moral fiber in what was clearly a black-and-white situation. When confronted with a situation such as this, you either prevent evil or abet it. There is no in-between.
The grad assistant who witnessed one of the more heinous Sandusky acts should have stopped it and called the cops immediately. University police, local police, state police.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The grad assistant who witnessed one of the more heinous Sandusky acts should have stopped it and called the cops immediately. University police, local police, state police.
I agree. But that has nothing to do with my post. The GA went to Paterno who passed the buck, a terrible, terrible moral failing on JoePa's fault. And I say that as someone who has always admired the man.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times
This all boils down to one thing: protecting a Penn State football program that brings in gobs and gobs of money for the entire university.

Make no mistake, there are shady things happening at other "powerhouse" football programs. Greed has consumed both college football, and college basketball.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,159 times
BREAKING: @markcviera and I report that Joe Paterno will not coach next season. Officials are planning his departure. http://t.co/9YMSirNe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football