Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've never been one to answer hypothetical situations but I'll bite.
What about the hypothetical question I asked you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Speedy...not trying to attack you...just a question for you.

If one of your kids were a victim of Sandusky's and you found out that Joe had prior knowledge of Sandusky's sick behavior and could have prevented your child from being raped by coming forward to begin with.....how would you feel about JoePa then?

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 11-11-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 11:44 AM

235 posts, read 510,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
He knew, not once but twice, that Jerry Sandusky was in the shower with little boys. That part is 100% and undisputed. The only part that is in question is whether he was told specifically the act that Sandusky was perpertrarting.

His response the first time: force him to resign, but the guy was still allowed on campus.

The second time, he had his locker room keys taken away.

He didn't make a mistake, he was protecting his reputation by basically looking the other way at a child rapist, and in turn destroyed his own reputation. He did nothing near what he should have in either 1998 or 2002, and more kids could abused because he did nothing. Paterno can go to hell too.
I can't rep you again, so I'll just quote this.

Yes! I say complete BS that JoePa didn't know exactly what happened & what was going on. I feel strongly that McQueary was 'bought' through his job to keep quiet. This was much more than a "mistake". I don't care one iota that Joe Pa brought a lot of money to Penn State. What about those innocent children? This isn't someone who made this 'mistake' years ago and has spent every moment of his life trying to right this wrong. This is someone who cared more about his reputation, the university, and football than innocent little boys that were getting RAPED on his campus. He has never come forward with what he knew. It is only due to the grand jury testimony that we know JoePa has known about this for years & years. It's not like he finally came forward and did the right thing and THAT is why we know what we know. He would have continued to keep these secrets and Sandusky would have continued to rape children as long as he could. How anyone can think the university staff and coaches are not also to blame in all of this is beyond me.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
A Patriot-News Special Report: Who knew what about Jerry Sandusky? There were many missed chances to investigate as early as 1995 | PennLive.com

This small newspaper broke the Sandusky story back in March. The MSM totally ignored it. I guess it was more important for them to "investigate" what color nail polish Lindsay Lohan might be wearing.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
It's unfortunate that there are sick individuals out there, I'd certainly be a proponent of locking them all up for good, BUT I'm not a proponent of destroying reputation of those who didn't commit the crime.
I think one of the reasons Paterno did nothing and allowed this to continue was because he was worried about his own reputation and the reputation of Penn State.

What's more important? The record books or saving a child?

We are one messed up society when we're worried about the reputation of a football coach and the school's program. Sorry. I'm a huge football fan and I want to a college that is a sports powerhouse. As proud as I am to be an alumni and to have sat in the Rose Bowl and watch my team win.... It doesn't ammount to a hill of beans when were talking about kids getting raped by adult men. And other men turning a blind eye to it.

Football terms: Paterno had the ball in his hands. He could have made the tough call and saved kids. He punted.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,756 times
JoePathetic's legacy: A great coach that condoned the rape and molestation of children

. . . that is one great legacy!

Last edited by mig1; 11-11-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Football terms: Paterno had the ball in his hands. He could have made the tough call and saved kids. He punted.
Punted? Hell, he fumbled!!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think one of the reasons Paterno did nothing and allowed this to continue was because he was worried about his own reputation and the reputation of Penn State.

What's more important? The record books or saving a child?
Evidently to some the record is more important.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:24 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ
I see it more along the lines as Paterno admitted he should've done more to stop what was happening, how much did he REALLY know? NONE of us know that.

I just have a difficult time condemning someone like Paterno who has done so much for Penn State and for college football in general. It isn't like he doesn't care about the kids, if you know anything about Joe Paterno you should know how much he cared for every single one of his players both on and off the field. If you've read interviews with any of Paterno's players, they'll be the first to tell you how awesome an individual he is and how much they respect him. He IS an all-around great human being who made an error, I just can't condemn him for being human.

Sandusky can burn in hell for all I care, he's obviously sick and he should fry.

Speedy- As a mother of almost 7 year old twins, I have to tell you I would kill Sandusky with my own bare hands if he did this to my children.

Joe Pa was just as guilty as Sandusky for not reporting this to law enforcement. If he came forward he could have prevented this from happening ever again if he just went to the local police. He harbored this pedophile!! I have no respect for this individual whatsoever.I am glad they fired him and the other officials who KNEW about this for almost 2 decades!!

Quote:
I would love to hear how some of you would explain to one of the children that was raped after that incident exactly why Paterno should be able to leave with his dignity.
I agree wholeheartedly... He should hang his head in shame!

Last edited by njsocks; 11-11-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 01:31 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Evidently to some the record is more important.
Yep. Big time college sports is as skeevy of a cess pool as there is.

Penn State is going to take a HUGE blow over this on all levels. They will take a hit on top academic prospects. Their sports programs will too.

Then there will be the crushing settlement costs.

For decades their rivals will taunt them over this with cheers like "PSU Michael Jackson U!" and I'm sure more clever lines than that.

Yeah. What a great legacy.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:56 PM

53 posts, read 84,954 times
Quote:
Oh please, this type of behavior has happened on numerous campuses and occasions throughout the decades. Don't acted so surprised.

If I was a student at PSU, I probably would've been right there with them protesting Paterno's firing. College students know they have strength in numbers and when they stage an outpouring of support, many students want to be part of the action.
If you would have been there protesting Paterno's firing, then I guess you wouldn't be afraid to look those innocent victims in the eyes & tell them their horror could have been avoided? Or tell their parents that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football