Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 PM

14,184 posts, read 22,719,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
[url="http://twitter.com/#%21/pennlive"]

People shouldn't be surprised about the poll outcome.
Reject an employee for graduating from Penn State, and see if you don't get your ass sued off for discrimination.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,114,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Reject an employee for graduating from Penn State, and see if you don't get your ass sued off for discrimination.
On what legal basis?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,365,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

And ONCE AGAIN, some people want to blame the PSU students!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,813,201 times
If anyone thinks someone is going to say "we aren't hiring you because you are a PSU grad and we abhor what happened there"--think again
the person might suspect that is a reason but really if a company is not going to hire PSU grads because of this blighted situation--then those applicants would not even make it INTO the interview--
they would just never get a response...

and I think MOST companies know that this behavior was not about the students--except those that might be seen rioting in a drunken frenzy on the news or have their Facebook page spouting all kinds of gender hatred for homosexuals...

I am not saying there will be NO backlash against students but it will be almost impossible to "prove" legally and some of it might be brought on by the students' behavior in reaction to these events...

IF the PSU students feel victimized they don't have to look any farther than their own head office and coaching staff...

Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Check out how one university president addresses the issue of abuse by university employee:
Syracuse Chancellor Nancy Cantor’s email to university community regarding Fine allegations - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/syracuse-chancellor-nancy-cantors-email-to-university-community-regarding-fine-allegations/2011/11/18/gIQA05w1XN_story.html - broken link)

Classy acknowledgement of possibility, summary of prior investigation, commitment to equal treatment to both accuser and accused, and request for not rushing to judgement w/o proof...

Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,830,986 times
One thing I forgot to mention here, and this is specifically to people who aren't regular posters in college and pro football. One liners intended to be funny I'm scrutinizing closely. There isn't anything related to Sandusky, Paterno, sexually assaulting minors, etc., that is one bit funny on this thread.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:49 AM

78,284 posts, read 60,492,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post

And ONCE AGAIN, some people want to blame the PSU students!!!
The thousands rioting in support of Joe Pa and going on camera blaming the media for blowing things out of proportion and describing the problem as something akin to an accident where only Sandusky was to blame......yeah, those members of PSU have really not helped them.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:49 AM

thanks for deleting that post (I guess)
I should have marked it for you==some mods aren't as strict--I appreciate your style of policing--
I think you are fair in allowing some venting and different povs
but jokes about rape/abusive behavior I never really find in good taste...

Old 11-18-2011, 10:58 AM

I have read some on-line stories that are disturbing to me--someone not from PA and not really that much a college football fan--
online story interview with one of the PSU trrustees who said he knew nothing except about some "writings" suggesting that Sandusky was "in trouble"--
said he got nothing from the then-president Spanier or from the Board regarding possible blow-up-in-their-face case of child abuse and PSU coverup
When the local papers and some sports radio hosts had done stories about Sandusky being investigated by the grand jury--when Paterno, McQueary, Curley, Schultz and I guess Spanier had ALL been called in for grand jury testimony---when people giving testimony to the GJ are not under a gag order (they can talk to others about it)
I just find it mind-blowing that PSU had direct knowledge that Sandusky WAS under a lengthy investigation process and yet the university was not poised to protect itself better if/when the grand jury presentment was to proceed with criminal charges...and not just against Sandusky.
That lack of preparation seems to indicate the very hubris that Paterno, Sandusky, and the officials have been accused of having for years...
the idea that they are above the law...

I guess they thought that Curley and Schultz and Paterno could present their versions of the "truth" and the GJ would fall under the spell of PSU legend and it would all go away...

The university had 6 mo or more to prepare for this--to have several projected game plans--to have notified the trustees and employed a crisis management firm and attorneys and yet they did nothing
Just like they did nothing to stop Sandusky in the past...
too similar for comfort...and frankly bolsters the opinion that they did know in the past (on every level) what Sandusky was doing and did nothing except ignore it

Old 11-18-2011, 11:14 AM

this is spot on essay about the media/corporate spin on Penn State situation
Charles P. Pierce on the brutal truth about the crimes at Penn State - Grantland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.