U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:39 AM

931 posts, read 1,082,649 times

Advertisements

.....LSU should so happen to lose in the SEC Championship game?

If Bama beat Auburn they will have earned a spot in the BCS bowl game. But who would take LSU spot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 09:34 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,110 times
If LSU beats Arkansas but loses to Georgia, LSU would have one loss but would have beaten the consensus #2. A strong case could still be made for an LSU-Bama rematch. If Oklahoma St. beats OU and goes on to win the Big 12, they would be the other prominent 1-loss team out there, but Oklahoma's season, as impressive as it is, hasn't been as impressive as LSU's to date. Stanford would be the other team, but they can manhandled by 2-loss Oregon, so they're pretty much out.

Once you get past Okla St. and Stanford, you're now bringing back the 2-loss teams into the discussion. But if that happens, wouldn't it be hard to argue against Georgia, being that they won the reigning championship conference outright?

It's really looking like an all-SEC title game this year. I'm not entirely a fan of it either, as I think a national championship game ought to involve schools from two different regions. But if we're talking teams that have made their case, a number of SEC teams have strong arguments.

I think that the NCAA/BCS and whoever's behind it will do everything in their power to avoid an intra-conference match-up. The makers of the BCS never had that in mind, and want avert that situation anyway they can. I think they'll still go with Oklahoma State if at all possible. If they lose to OU, then I think that LSU plays Alabama unless Georgia absolutely takes them to the woodshed in that game (and let's not forget they still need to be a tough Arkansas team that's playing really good football right now).

At the risk of jinxing LSU, I am beginning to think that the odds are strongly against teams that haven't played them before. You can break down tape all you want, but LSU's speed on defense is a sight to behold, and it's an altogether new experience for college football teams. Plays that work against the other seven or eight teams they've played before just don't work against LSU's defense. They get to the ball before the quarterbacks and offense expect them to. They create turnovers. It's easy to say hold on to the ball, but the speed is just lethal. Teams that have actually played them once before, like Oregon and Alabama, probably have the best chance to beat them.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Remember when the media was trying to push that Ohio State and Michigan rematch saying those were hands down the two best teams and the country? Remember what Florida did to "The Ohio State" football squad in the BCS bowl? Im not a fan of rematches, Bama had its shot at home and LSU will have a hard time with playing Arky and UGA back to back. They either will slip up against Arky looking ahead to UGA or come out flat against the East Division Champs looking ahead to Bama.

Whats wrong with Bama vs Boise?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:25 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
This is how things will unfold...

Oklahoma will beat Oklahoma State eliminating ANY Big 12 team from a shot at a national title
LSU beats Arkansas then it doesnt matter if they lose the SEC Championshp, they will still play for the National Title.
Bama beats Auburn and plays LSU in the title game

There will be a gripe from Stanford & VA Tech supporters as each will only have one loss. But who they lost too will hurt them. LSU & Bama's resume will be better. especially if LSU beats GA... then that helps Bama in the BCS.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

Oklahoma will beat Oklahoma State eliminating ANY Big 12 team from a shot at a national title
LSU beats Arkansas then it doesnt matter if they lose the SEC Championshp, they will still play for the National Title.
Bama beats Auburn and plays LSU in the title game
LSU cant play in the NC game they dont win the SEC. You have to win your conference. Whats the point of having two teams that are in the same conference, same division, neither are champs and have played already in the championship game? If LSU loses the SEC game that wont help Bama chances to get in too.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times
If LSU loses and Univ. of Houston wins their last game, we will only have one undefeated team.....so Houston vs. any other one loss team for the BCS championship....lol...

Old 11-20-2011, 11:36 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
LSU
Anyone mentioning Houston is delirious.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:20 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
LSU cant play in the NC game they dont win the SEC. You have to win your conference. Whats the point of having two teams that are in the same conference, same division, neither are champs and have played already in the championship game? If LSU loses the SEC game that wont help Bama chances to get in too.
That's not true... go and read the BCS rules!

BCS Explained, Bowl Championship Series

Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
That's not necessarily true. In 2003, OU lost their conference title game in a 35-7 blowout to Kansas St. and then went to the BCS title game and lost to LSU 21-14. OU had murdered teams until that title game, and many (including myself) suspected that they simply didn't bring it that game because they were essentially assured a spot in the BCS game before they even took the field in the title game.

Now, I would agree, there's a serious question about whether a conference title game loser *should* get into the BCS question. I think that's a fair question to raise for sure, but in this quirky system we have, we're basically judging who we think had the best season overall, irrespective of their last performance. If we went strictly by human polls, then this wouldn't happen. In fact, that's exactly why there was a split championship in 2003/2004 because the human pollsters argued that the Rose Bowl was basically USC's very own BCS game.

I think that if LSU beats Arkansas, they're in almost automatically. Not entirely agreement that it should be this way, but that's what is likely to happen. For LSU and Arkansas, this upcoming game is their version of the AFC or NFC championship game.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,379,787 times
I don't agree with any kind of rule about a team having to win its conference to play for the national title, unless we get to a point where all the conferences have the same way of determining a champion.

I was against a rematch between LSU/Alabama a couple of weeks ago, but the teams from the other conferences failed to hold up their end of the bargain.

At this point, I don't really see any realistic way to leave LSU out of the BCS title game---the only possible scenario would be blowout losses to Arkansas and Georgia, and that does not seem likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football