U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 11:04 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,415,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I don't really doubt the graphs, and I'm an SEC guy myself. The fact is that the Big 10 schools and even some of the Big 12 schools have huge followings. Recent success doesn't necessarily equate to fan base. The Big 10 and Big 12 have built programs and fan base over the course of decades, and unlike the SEC schools, that fan base covers a very wide area, which includes a lot of population. Consider for one thing that the average size of a Big 10 or Big 12 school is larger than that of the SEC schools. Most SEC schools have about 25-30,000 students; Big 10 schools are massive, with 40,000-60,000 students in most of their big name institutions. Big 12 also has some pretty big schools, with Texas being the biggest of them all. More to the point, though, the fan base is huge and has been built over decades. Ohio State and Michigan would be my guess for largest fan base, not even looking at official stats.
stop drinking the kool-aid... that article is based in crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,713 times
[quote=sleepless in Bham;21980884],
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Bama fans are.. wait, lemme stay civil.[/QUOTE

LSU fans, they are a fun bunch to be around, but they take being a fan to a whole new level.
Go tailgating at Tiger Stadium and let some Tiger fans cook somethin' up for you. Best tailgating experience in the SEC - no questions asked. No BCS computers needed.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
stop drinking the kool-aid... that article is based in crap!
Nah, it's not. Go to the Midwest. The three Big 10 schools have huge fan bases.

Doesn't change anything about the discussion though. I think real college football fans will watch, even if they say that they won't. It's college football, and it's the big marquee game.

On the bright side, I think LSU just picked up a heap of non-conference fans. On the downside, we have to beat a great Alabama team twice to win the national championship. I guess the one thing that keeps me positive here is that this year's LSU team is mentally the toughest and most focused I've ever seen. I think LSU has had more talented teams in the past, especially the 2007 squad. But this year's Tiger squad has just been amazing in terms of its mental approach to games. In some ways, regardless of the outcome, this is my favorite Tiger team of all time. They're special. Regardless of what happens against Alabama, they've had a great year and achieved amazing things.

Alabama will be amped and inspired to play LSU, and I think the Tigers expect that to be the case. LSU will be ready for that. I think the Tigers look like a team that welcomes new types of challenges. They don't seem caught up in the moment. From the first game against Oregon, they've found ways to deal with pressure.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Nah, it's not. Go to the Midwest. The three Big 10 schools have huge fan bases.
Three schools dont beat an ENTIRE conference... the kool-aid taste good huh?

Then tell me why the SEC has the highest attendance 13 years straight? Yes the Big 10 has the top 3... but after that they fall off drastically.

"Nine SEC schools finished in the top 30 of Division I attendance led by Alabama (4), Tennessee (6), Georgia (7), LSU (8), Florida (9), Auburn (10), South Carolina (18), Arkansas (22) and Kentucky (25)."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...tball-fans-acc

And ratings... The SEC represents 6 of the top 10 highest rated games. And the top 2. The Big 10 is not even in the Top 10... so explain to me how they have a bigger fan base if more people dont go to the games and more people dont watch on TV? please... Im waiting.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2010/12/17/2010-college-football-tv-ratings/

sorry to repeat myself... but its funny when people ignore the facts. its just funny... I only speak in facts!

Facts - something that actually exists; reality; truth:

Last edited by Mr. GE; 12-04-2011 at 11:30 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,280,740 times
Quote:

Then tell me why the SEC has the highest attendance 13 years straight? Yes the Big 10 has the top 3... but after that they fall off drastically.

"Nine SEC schools finished in the top 30 of Division I attendance led by Alabama (4), Tennessee (6), Georgia (7), LSU (8), Florida (9), Auburn (10), South Carolina (18), Arkansas (22) and Kentucky (25)."

SEC leads the pack in college football attendance for 13th straight season - Orlando Sentinel

And ratings... The SEC represents 6 of the top 10 highest rated games. And the top 2. The Big 10 is not even in the Top 10... so explain to me how they have a bigger fan base if more people dont go to the games and more people dont watch on TV? please... Im waiting.

sorry to repeat myself... but its funny when people ignore the facts. its just funny... I only speak in facts!

TV ratings and attendance tell the story.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 AM

788 posts, read 1,380,504 times
Ya'll do know that ABC only shows regional Games for Saturday prime, and have three or four during the same time slot, while CBS only shows ONE national game per week.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
Ya'll do know that ABC only shows regional Games for Saturday prime, and have three or four during the same time slot, while CBS only shows ONE national game per week.
Further proving the national appeal of SEC.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:

SEC leads the pack in college football attendance for 13th straight season - Orlando Sentinel

Okay, dude, keep patting yourself on the back then.

I'll just point out a couple of things:

You're talking about home attendance and viewership, which apparently suggests that the SEC teams are more popular with current sports fans. I don't dispute that. However, that doesn't really change what was said earlier in the thread. Current viewership or current popularity of the teams is still not the same as the size of the overall fan base. Let's just use Ohio State as an example, which has for years been pumping out more alumni than Alabama, Florida, and LSU -- and probably more two of those three combined. I think it's safe to assume that they've got a bigger fan base than LSU or Florida. Right now, a fair number of those alumni are probably not as interested in watching Ohio State at 6 wins and 6 losses, but when they start winning again, they'll come back. Same with Michigan. Same with Penn St. Same with Wisconsin.

To use an analogy away from football, there were years in the 1980s and early 1990s when the New York Yankees stopped winning. People stopped watching their games. People started following the Atlanta Braves or the L.A. Dodgers or the Cardinals. Pinstripes Nation might have been silent, but it never went away. The fans were still there. They just needed to be ignited. They're still the biggest fan base.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Okay, dude, keep patting yourself on the back then.

I'll just point out a couple of things:

You're talking about home attendance and viewership, which apparently suggests that the SEC teams are more popular with current sports fans. I don't dispute that. However, that doesn't really change what was said earlier in the thread. Current viewership or current popularity of the teams is still not the same as the size of the overall fan base. Let's just use Ohio State as an example, which has for years been pumping out more alumni than Alabama, Florida, and LSU -- and probably more two of those three combined. I think it's safe to assume that they've got a bigger fan base than LSU or Florida. Right now, a fair number of those alumni are probably not as interested in watching Ohio State at 6 wins and 6 losses, but when they start winning again, they'll come back. Same with Michigan. Same with Penn St. Same with Wisconsin.

To use an analogy away from football, there were years in the 1980s and early 1990s when the New York Yankees stopped winning. People stopped watching their games. People started following the Atlanta Braves or the L.A. Dodgers or the Cardinals. Pinstripes Nation might have been silent, but it never went away. The fans were still there. They just needed to be ignited. They're still the biggest fan base.
The Big 10 is certainly the one to compare to SEC. UF and OSU are very similar in sports/size/academics. I'd say if anything the last 10 years of not winning much shows how loyal Big 10 fans are.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The Big 10 is certainly the one to compare to SEC. UF and OSU are very similar in sports/size/academics. I'd say if anything the last 10 years of not winning much shows how loyal Big 10 fans are.
I'm with you...

But you might as well save your fingers... Facts just dont seem to matter. However implausible scenarios of "Ifs" "Ands" make lucid sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football