U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 11:16 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Okay, dude, keep patting yourself on the back then.

I'll just point out a couple of things:

You're talking about home attendance and viewership, which apparently suggests that the SEC teams are more popular with current sports fans. I don't dispute that. However, that doesn't really change what was said earlier in the thread. Current viewership or current popularity of the teams is still not the same as the size of the overall fan base. Let's just use Ohio State as an example, which has for years been pumping out more alumni than Alabama, Florida, and LSU -- and probably more two of those three combined. I think it's safe to assume that they've got a bigger fan base than LSU or Florida. Right now, a fair number of those alumni are probably not as interested in watching Ohio State at 6 wins and 6 losses, but when they start winning again, they'll come back. Same with Michigan. Same with Penn St. Same with Wisconsin.

To use an analogy away from football, there were years in the 1980s and early 1990s when the New York Yankees stopped winning. People stopped watching their games. People started following the Atlanta Braves or the L.A. Dodgers or the Cardinals. Pinstripes Nation might have been silent, but it never went away. The fans were still there. They just needed to be ignited. They're still the biggest fan base.
I don't need a pat... its just the facts that you seem to ignore. Instead you making up scenarios. show something factual and I'll tell you I'm wrong.

I concede that the Big Ten has the 3 biggest fan bases in the country. I conded that Texas has the fourth. So why bring them up again? The SEC has more as a whole... not the top fanbases.

And If we wanna talk possible scenarios or understanding...

Pleae realize that in the SEC states people root for the schools REGARDLESS if they attended them or not. So if you are trying to count alumni... Ohio State's alums are not enough to compete with the ENTIRE state of lets say... Alabama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,607,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Pleae realize that in the SEC states people root for the schools REGARDLESS if they attended them or not. So if you are trying to count alumni... Ohio State's alums are not enough to compete with the ENTIRE state of lets say... Alabama!
I think someone needs to get out of their SEC cave a little more often.

Ohio State is pretty much *the* state university in all of Ohio, which at 11 million people is more than two to 2 1/2 times the population of other SEC states, with the lone exception of Florida. As for Florida, keep in mind that its citizens have three major football schools to pick from: Florida, Florida State, and to a lesser degree, U of Miami. So the SEC only gets about a third of that state; Big 10 Ohio State gets nearly ALL of Ohio. Penn State gets nearly ALL of Pennsylvania. Michigan is more like Florida in that it is divided between two schools, but Michigan is a much bigger school and has one of the oldest and most storied programs in the nation.

Also, consider the generational aspect to this discussion. Alabama has been around and been strong for decades, so I'll grant you that. But most other SEC schools don't have the generation after generation success that programs like Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State. Some people around the country - even those who didn't go to these schools - remember watching them on TV and remember Bo Shembeckler, Woody Hayes, and Joe Paterno's great teams of the 1970s and 80s, and these schools have carried that tradition forward.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,377,906 times
I can tell you that a lot of the Big 12 fans aren't alumni either.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,744,162 times
Quote:
I don't need a pat... its just the facts that you seem to ignore. Instead you making up scenarios. show something factual and I'll tell you I'm wrong.

I concede that the Big Ten has the 3 biggest fan bases in the country. I conded that Texas has the fourth. So why bring them up again? The SEC has more as a whole... not the top fanbases.

And If we wanna talk possible scenarios or understanding...

To put this topic to rest, I totaled up all the fans counted from the article.

Big 10 = 17,527,996
SEC = 13,555,880
ACC = 11,151,018
Big 12 = 10,139,082
Pac 12 = 7,440,752
Big East = 5,260,947
Independents = 3,407,006

^^ Obviously the Big 10 has way more fans than the SEC (almost 4 million more)...

This isn't really that surprising.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 PM

16,275 posts, read 9,107,040 times
hee hee.....big 10 has more fans watching them get beat by the SEC than the SEC has fans watching then slaughter the big 10....

thats funny.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think someone needs to get out of their SEC cave a little more often.

Ohio State is pretty much *the* state university in all of Ohio, which at 11 million people is more than two to 2 1/2 times the population of other SEC states, with the lone exception of Florida. As for Florida, keep in mind that its citizens have three major football schools to pick from: Florida, Florida State, and to a lesser degree, U of Miami. So the SEC only gets about a third of that state; Big 10 Ohio State gets nearly ALL of Ohio. Penn State gets nearly ALL of Pennsylvania. Michigan is more like Florida in that it is divided between two schools, but Michigan is a much bigger school and has one of the oldest and most storied programs in the nation.

Also, consider the generational aspect to this discussion. Alabama has been around and been strong for decades, so I'll grant you that. But most other SEC schools don't have the generation after generation success that programs like Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State. Some people around the country - even those who didn't go to these schools - remember watching them on TV and remember Bo Shembeckler, Woody Hayes, and Joe Paterno's great teams of the 1970s and 80s, and these schools have carried that tradition forward.
You keep talking about 3 states, i give you those... I'm talking about 8! So you must be using that George Bush "fuzzy math" if Ohio, Michigan, and Penn are more than KY, TN, GA, FL, AL, MS, SC, and LA

If you dont think the SEC has more than Alabama as far as coaching history then you are the one in a cave... Bear Bryant was at Kentucky BEFORE bama... General Neyland was at Tenn. Vince Dooley at Georgia. etc... but i digress

This is such a can of worms discussion... And has gotten way off subject. You believe what you want about fans, honestly I dont care enough about the Big 10 or Big 12 schools or states to continue debating them.

You think because a few people on this forum "say" they will not watch this game the ratings will be the lowest... I think the SEC has MORE than enough fans to the contrary. lets just see instead of the endless debate...

Old 12-05-2011, 12:56 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,744,162 times
Quote:
You think because a few people on this forum "say" they will not watch this game the ratings will be the lowest... I think the SEC has MORE than enough fans to the contrary. lets just see instead of the endless debate...
Not just Big 12, Big 10, ACC, Big East fans who don't plan to watch...

You can lump most SEC fans (except Bama and LSU) into that category as well... Why would someone from Kentucky want to watch? To see if the SEC wins? Ha ha!

The appeal of this BCS NC game is the lowest its ever been I believe.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

You can lump most SEC fans (except Bama and LSU) into that category as well... Why would someone from Kentucky want to watch? To see if the SEC wins? Ha ha!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 PM

One thing that has been lost in all this is:

Spoiler
SEC Haters!!! they will watch and make the ratings high even if the SEC fans don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football