U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,745,511 times
Reputation: 1290

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I'm still against the idea of a conference champion only rule even if it would have helped my team this year. Given the nature of the BCS and how it handles things, it would not be long before the rule would backfire and we'd end up with even more ridiculous matchups like the #3 team vs the #5 team for the national title.

Also, until every conference has a championship game such a rule would give a huge advantage to the conferences that didn't have them. It would also penalize teams that were in strong conferences or divisions in favor of those in less competitive conferences.
Well it doesn't have to be a "conference championship rule."

But rather a "teams from different conferences must play for the national title rule."

This would most likely eliminate rematches and teams from the same conference (let alone division) playing for the championship game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2011, 01:37 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 9,275,429 times
Reputation: 2289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Well it doesn't have to be a "conference championship rule."

But rather a "teams from different conferences must play for the national title rule."

This would most likely eliminate rematches and teams from the same conference (let alone division) playing for the championship game.
Sounds like a system to help the weak out. If the two best teams are from SEC they should play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,745,511 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Sounds like a system to help the weak out. If the two best teams are from SEC they should play.
Not really, the two "best" teams currently are debatable...

This system would ensure national appeal to the title game-- and not just "conference" appeal.
It would allow for conferences to determine how they stack up against each other-- which should be one of the points of bowl games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 02:01 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,379,787 times
Reputation: 771
I think that's what the other bowl games are for, not so much the BCS title game. Right now I'm willing to believe this was just a once-in-a-generation deal [there was a similar situation with the Big 8 in the early 70s] where the top teams at the end all just happened to be from the same conference. Now if this starts happening year after year, and if we get to a point where teams with better records are being left out, I'd start wanting to make some major changes [other than of course scrapping the whole thing.]

I agree that the BCS should just be the top two teams, no matter where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,358,660 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Not really, the two "best" teams currently are debatable...

This system would ensure national appeal to the title game-- and not just "conference" appeal.
It would allow for conferences to determine how they stack up against each other-- which should be one of the points of bowl games.
Who cares about national appeal. Other than a few whiners most college football fans will be watching on 1/9. People want the best two teams, no matter if they came from the same conference or not.

I swear I haven't seen this much crying over who is playing in a game in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
- Probably the same way they don't talk about the OSU total offense being ranked 4th in the nation.

While Alabama is 33rd in total offense...

- Or how OSU is ranked 2nd in pass interceptions.

While Alabama is 53rd in pass interceptions... (some defense )

- Or how OSU is ranked 32nd in sacks

While Alabama is 47th in sacks... (some defense )

2011 NCAA College Football Stats - ESPN

Any way you slice it, according to the stats OSU beats out Alabama. Where exactly did you hear that they were ranked 104th in defense? That sounds like B.S. to me.
The sports media perfectly OMITS those facts, to get into an all-SEC NC game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 03:30 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I swear I haven't seen this much crying over who is playing in a game in my life.
We've already seen this game.

Using the logic they are using this year to justify this rematch, OU should have played texas in 2009 for the BCS MNC.Texas only loss was to a top 5 team on the road while florida lost to a POS ole miss team @ home. I'm sure you would have been totally cool with that rematch. Oh but wait, that year ESPiN was beating the "who have they beat" drum, this year they beat "who did they lose to" drum. Couldn't have anything to do with their 2.5 BILLION dollar deal with the SEC could it?

Look, one of the last teams I would ever want to see play for it all would be Oklahoma State. For me it comes down this, having a rematch for the MNC is lame as ****. It's not whining, its just the opinion of this fan and most college football fans.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 12-06-2011 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Where did you get this 104 number anyway?

Rivals.com has OSU ranked as 60th in total defense. But then again, they have Alabama ranked as #1 and Temple ranked as #3.

Thus the rivals rating are crap-- if you believe Temple is #3 in defense-- then I have an ocean front property to sell you in Las Vegas.

OU has an excellent defense and OSU put 44 points on them. I think OSU's offense could easily overcome Alabama's defense.
OSU blew the doors off of a great OU team. That in and of it's self should have put them in the NC over Bama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
According to your stats:

Passing Offense
#2 OSU
#72 Alabama

Rushing Offense
#21 OSU
#26 Alabama (so much for over-rated trent richardson)

Scoring Offense
#2 OSU
#16 Alabama

Total Offense
#3 OSU
#30 Alabama

... is it really that insane to think the #2-3 offense could beat Alabama's defense? I don't think so. You SEC homers crack me up... Alabama hasn't had to face an offense like OSU's.

The fact remains that Alabama doesn't deserve to be there. This NC game means nothing this year...
Exactly, and they try to pass off some of these offensively inept games as "Great SEC defense". Some very inept offense really. I think LSU is gonna put in work against Bama.

Last edited by polo89; 12-06-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
We've already seen this game.

Using the logic they are using this year to justify this rematch, OU should have played texas in 2009 for the BCS MNC.Texas only loss was to a top 5 team on the road while florida lost to a POS ole miss team @ home. I'm sure you would have been totally cool with that rematch. Oh but wait, that year ESPiN was beating the "who have they beat" drum, this year they beat "who did they lose to" drum. Couldn't have anything to do with their 2.5 BILLION dollar deal with the SEC could it?

Look, one of the last teams I would ever want to see play for it all would be Oklahoma State. For me it comes down this, having a rematch for the MNC is lame as ****. It's not whining, its just the opinion of this fan and most college football fans.
EXACTLY!!! I'VE BATTLED WITH THAT ONE FOR THE PAST 3YRS. Florida losing to garbage Ole Miss at home, and still getting the nod, while Texas lost to Tech in Lubbock. Ole Miss!!! Seriously? I know Ole Miss is in "God's Conference" but seriously? They didn't use the same reasoning back then, like they did now. Where was our Texas/OU National Championship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top