U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 02:35 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,754,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So you actually think it makes sense to put a team in the BCS Title game that lost to an unranked opponent over a team whose only loss came at the hands of the No. 1 team in the country?
Funny... no one in the SEC complained when Florida went in 2008...

(They lost to unranked and crappy Ole Miss... )

If all things were equal, that year it should have been Texas vs. OU in the National Championship...

Where were you then? Oh wait-- it wouldn't have suit SEC fans to have Texas vs. OU in the NC game...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 02:38 PM

28,352 posts, read 26,384,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I think if Iowa State had beaten Oklahoma the following week OSU would have pulled past Bama. But they lost big, and that was probably the last shot the Cowboys had at making it in.
I don't think they should have gone to the BCS Game no matter how well Iowa State fared against Oklahoma. They lost to a sub-par team. Alabama barely lost to the best team. Only the biggest OSU fan could see OSU going to the title game over Bama as a just result. And as one poster stated up-thread, the BCS game is so supposed to match up the two best teams in the country, not the best team from one conference and the best team from another conference. If the two best teams from the country happen to be in the same conference, then so be it.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Funny... no one in the SEC complained when Florida went in 2008...

(They lost to unranked and crappy Ole Miss... )

If all things were equal, that year it should have been Texas vs. OU in the National Championship...

Where were you then? Oh wait-- it wouldn't have suit SEC fans to have Texas vs. OU in the NC game...
I don't follow college football enough to speak on that. All I know is that OSU in this year's title game doesn't make any type of sense.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,389,902 times
I'm just talking about what probably would have happened, not what should or shouldn't have happened.
The loss to Iowa State would not have looked as bad if they'd ended up beating another ranked team like Oklahoma.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I don't follow college football enough to speak on that. All I know is that OSU in this year's title game doesn't make any type of sense.
Ah, it was SEC bias back then-- just like it is SEC bias now.

I'm not sure why the voters have a love affair with the SEC... Must be something in the water.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I'm just talking about what probably would have happened, not what should or shouldn't have happened.
The loss to Iowa State would not have looked as bad if they'd ended up beating another ranked team like Oklahoma.
Exactly, just like how Florida got in there by beating a highly ranked Alabama team in 2008.

SEC bias at its finest.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Exactly, just like how Florida got in there by beating a highly ranked Alabama team in 2008.

SEC bias at its finest.
Just read up on Wiki. Looks like I've missed a lot of college football the past ten years.

The difference, I think, is that Florida beat #1 Alabama to earn their way into the title game. And for whatever reason, losses late in the season seem to have a more adverse effect on rankings than losses in the beginning of the season. It looks like Ole Miss was not nearly as crappy as Iowa State, either, as they finished their season 9-4 and won a bowl game, I believe.

At any rate, I don't think this year's BCS decision is nearly as controversial. Both Alabama and OSU had late season losses. The only difference is that Alabama lost to the best team and OSU lost to a marginal team. That means that Alabama has the trump card on OSU, imo.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,421,732 times
Quote:
It looks like Ole Miss was not nearly as crappy as Iowa State, either, as they finished their season 9-4 and won a bowl game, I believe.

Yes you are correct....

An unranked Ole Miss (SEC) team destroyed the #8 Texas Tech (Big12) team in the Cotton Bowl.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Yes you are correct....

An unranked Ole Miss (SEC) team destroyed the #8 Texas Tech (Big12) team in the Cotton Bowl.
That Florida team had Tebow on it, right? Texas was not going to beat them that year.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
That Florida team had Tebow on it, right? Texas was not going to beat them that year.
Texas had Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley...

And they kicked Ohio State's ass in the Fiesta Bowl that year. They could have beaten Florida that year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football