U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 03:46 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,750,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Just read up on Wiki. Looks like I've missed a lot of college football the past ten years.

The difference, I think, is that Florida beat #1 Alabama to earn their way into the title game. And for whatever reason, losses late in the season seem to have a more adverse effect on rankings than losses in the beginning of the season. It looks like Ole Miss was not nearly as crappy as Iowa State, either, as they finished their season 9-4 and won a bowl game, I believe.

At any rate, I don't think this year's BCS decision is nearly as controversial. Both Alabama and OSU had late season losses. The only difference is that Alabama lost to the best team and OSU lost to a marginal team. That means that Alabama has the trump card on OSU, imo.
Yeah... Alabama was over-rated and ranked #1 that year. (Just like they are over-rated every year)

Read up on who Alabama ended up losing to that year in their bowl game...

Hint:
Spoiler
UTAH 31-17

Just admit it guys, the SEC is given more favorable treatment in the media than other conferences. It is downright stupid, but that's media bias for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,365,075 times
A couple of questions...

Why do some think that OU had a great defense, when they ranked 62nd in total defense?

Why is it so hard for Big 12 homers to realize that there is no media bias towards the SEC?

Why is it so hard for some to understand that losing to an 6-6 team is a pathetic, especially when you had a 24-7 LEAD!!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:43 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,418,632 times
Quote:
That Florida team had Tebow on it, right? Texas was not going to beat them that year.
I'm with you...

Old 12-08-2011, 05:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,385,936 times
BTW, wasn't Ole Miss a preseason pick to win the SEC West that year? They obviously did not live up to expectations, but neither were they a bad team.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
BTW, wasn't Ole Miss a preseason pick to win the SEC West that year? They obviously did not live up to expectations, but neither were they a bad team.
That was the next season, 2009.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,385,936 times
My mistake!

I really wish Nutt had been able to turn things around there.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
My mistake!

I really wish Nutt had been able to turn things around there.
Even though the Ole Miss program has had it moments, but overall the program has been down since 1970. It's the only team in the SEC West that hasn't been to the SEC title game. Their biggest blunder in the last 10 yrs is when they fired David Cutcliff after his one and only losing season at Ole Miss. They hired a new coach, and it couldn't of come at a better time when two teams in the same division are playing in the BCS title game, while another won it last season.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,859,903 times
Quote:
That Florida team had Tebow on it, right? Texas was not going to beat them that year.
Texas would have been just fine.

If OU has their starting RB against UF it's an entire different game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Texas had Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley...

And they kicked Ohio State's ass in the Fiesta Bowl that year. They could have beaten Florida that year.
Easy there tex. Didn't they have score on the last possession to win? IIRC it was a 20+ yd TD pass with less than 20 seconds left. Kicked their ass would be a little much IMO. It was a great game though.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 12-08-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 PM

3,965 posts, read 2,519,073 times
Using BCS logic, I guess the AFC Championship game should be Pittsburgh vs Baltimore (tonight's results notwithstanding)...and we can get ESPN to start promoting weeks out--just like did the BCS!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,859,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Using BCS logic, I guess the AFC Championship game should be Pittsburgh vs Baltimore (tonight's results notwithstanding)...and we can get ESPN to start promoting weeks out--just like did the BCS!
Well that just doesn't make any BCS sense (except for the espn promoting weeks out thing, that's just the truth).

BCS logic would put Green Bay against SF in the Super Bowl. They are by far the #1 and #2 teams in the league. If you disagree, you are just an NFC hater. Don't be an NFC hater, it's clear they have the two best teams.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 12-08-2011 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football