U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,744,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's the dumbest comment ever. LSU came into your house and beat you fair and square. Sure it was a tough contest, but you had your shot.

Which brings me to my point. If the two won out and played in a rematch, it essentially means that Alabama only has to beat LSU once to win a national championship game, while LSU has to beat Alabama twice--with a conference championship game with Georgia thrown into the mix, too. That means that Alabama gets the easier road to a championship. And I can't imagine any objective person thinking that is fair.
They should make it a rule that you have to win your conference to be in the NC game....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
LSU could beat Arkansas and lose to Georgia (in the SEC championship), then they would not play for the NC.
Instead, Alabama would play vs. a 1 loss team from another conference. (OK-State or VT probably)

... This isn't likely to happen, but it is possible... This is why the system is stupid sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I don't really see how that would work, LSU would still be at worst #2 even if they lose the SEC championship game.
e_cuyler... thanks for answering for me.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,377,906 times
Quote:
They should make it a rule that you have to win your conference to be in the NC game....
Only if every conference has a championship game. Even then, I think it would lead to a huge mess and would favor the weaker conferences. You would probably see a lot of years where either the #1 or #2 team wouldn't qualify and you'd have to put the #4 or #5 teams in the mix. Hoping there's no serious consideration of such a rule.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
e_cuyler... thanks for answering for me.
Why would they still be ranked 2 if they have two losses while VT could go on and win the ACC and only have 1 loss?

Or OK-ST would only have 1 loss and win the Big 12 (if they can beat OU)

I really think the scenario of LSU still being ranked 2 after losing to Georgia is far fetched...

The computers are still ranking OK-ST as #2 so they would just need some help from the voters

If LSU loses the SEC championship, you will probably see: Alabama vs. (OK-ST or VT) in the BCS championship game. <<--- This is why allowing teams that didn't win their conference to be in there is retarded.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,377,906 times
I think we're saying if they beat Arkansas and lose to Georgia they would be #2, not if they lose to both Arkansas and Georgia. Depending on what happens at the Iron Bowl I believe LSU might not even get to play Georgia if they lose to Arkansas, if Alabama beats Auburn they'd play Georgia, and if Alabama and LSU both lose this week I believe Arkansas would end up playing in the SEC title game.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
Quote:
Only if every conference has a championship game.
Isn't the Big East the only BCS auto-bid conference without one at this point? - I don't see how they are relevant to any discussion on a NC matchup.

Pac-12, Big 12, Big 10, ACC & SEC all have title games..........

Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times
Quote:
Why would they still be ranked 2 if they have two losses while VT could go on and win the ACC and only have 1 loss?

Or OK-ST would only have 1 loss and win the Big 12 (if they can beat OU)

I really think the scenario of LSU still being ranked 2 after losing to Georgia is far fetched...

The computers are still ranking OK-ST as #2 so they would just need some help from the voters

If LSU loses the SEC championship, you will probably see: Alabama vs. (OK-ST or VT) in the BCS championship game. <<--- This is why allowing teams that didn't win their conference to be in there is retarded.
have you seen the BCS points? LSU has a perfect score... History tells us they will not drop low enough in BCS points to be any lower than #2 if they lose to #13 team in the BCS. Their loss will be better than OK State' lost to an unranked team. And we all know Bama's loss is better than any other 1 loss team as well.

So again... If LSU beats Arkansas, they are in the National Championship.

Bank on it!!!

Last edited by Mr. GE; 11-22-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I think we're saying if they beat Arkansas and lose to Georgia they would be #2, not if they lose to both Arkansas and Georgia. Depending on what happens at the Iron Bowl I believe LSU might not even get to play Georgia if they lose to Arkansas, if Alabama beats Auburn they'd play Georgia, and if Alabama and LSU both lose this week I believe Arkansas would end up playing in the SEC title game.
Maybe. But maybe not. This is all if's and but's as it is so I suppose there is no use debating it.

I think LSU will lose to Arkansas this weekend though... and the madness will continue!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,010 times
Quote:
Maybe. But maybe not.
I'm with you. To think that LSU would for sure be one of the two highest ranked 1 loss teams (if they lost to UGA) is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Losing late hurts. BCS is weird.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,944,947 times
Quote:
Two Losses? In the scenario submitted, LSU would have just 1 loss i.e. Georgia. They still beat 2 AQ good teams in non-conference, i.e. SOS, which most can't match. In order for LSU to be left out at this point, they would have to be smashed by either Arkansas or Georgia. If it happens to be against Georgia, they won't be playing in ANY BCS bowl. Boy would that be funny.

Quote:
OK St really has to root hard for any of the teams remaining left on both of their schedule. Auburn has got worse as the season goes on. Arkansas has a shot but look what Bama did to them... only allowed 14 points; LSU has just as good a defense as Bama does. And who ever faces Georgia should smash them... SEC West is where the strength of the SEC resides, especially now with UF way down.

Quote:
VT is a longshot. Did you realize if they lose this weekend, they don't even play in the ACC championship? It is a rivalry game against a team coming off a high from beating FSU the week prior. It could happen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football