U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Isn't the Big East the only BCS auto-bid conference without one at this point? - I don't see how they are relevant to any discussion on a NC matchup.

Pac-12, Big 12, Big 10, ACC & SEC all have title games..........
Big 12 doesn't have one this year. 12 teams are required for a conference championship. If the Big East invited teams accept, they will have one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Maybe. But maybe not. This is all if's and but's as it is so I suppose there is no use debating it.

I think LSU will lose to Arkansas this weekend though... and the madness will continue!
u mean hope...

But I'll say it again. A close loss to Arkansas doesnt help. I told you the only scenarios to prevent LSU and Bama from playing in the title. From what you have stated, your understanding of the BCS scoring is sketchy. So if you don't believe me... listen to a BCS expert.

SEC closer to title-game rematch - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
The ONLY way LSU will not play for the National Championship is by getting KILLED by Arkansas...

The ONLY way Bama will not play for the National Championship is by losing to Auburn...

It's pretty much a done deal unless one of 2 things happen...

so those of you that do not want to see it... start cheering for Arkansas & Auburn... LOL

Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,357,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's the dumbest comment ever. LSU came into your house and beat you fair and square. Sure it was a tough contest, but you had your shot.

Which brings me to my point. If the two won out and played in a rematch, it essentially means that Alabama only has to beat LSU once to win a national championship game, while LSU has to beat Alabama twice--with a conference championship game with Georgia thrown into the mix, too. That means that Alabama gets the easier road to a championship. And I can't imagine any objective person thinking that is fair.
While it may not be one of my brightest comments, it basically sums up how I feel when people say they do not want to see a rematch.

We gotta remember what the BCS is for, to match up #1 vs #2 to determine a national champ. It's the best system we have right now and its a vastly better that we used to have.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Big 12 doesn't have one this year. 12 teams are required for a conference championship. If the Big East invited teams accept, they will have one too.
mea culpa - forgot about their exodus......

Old 11-22-2011, 05:02 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,378,459 times
Just thinking...you know if we did have a "conference champions only" type rule this season, and if Georgia managed to win the SEC we'd most likely end up with Virginia Tech vs. the winner of Oklahoma/Oklahoma State for the BCS title....Georgia's record would not be good enough to get into the title game, and everyone else in the SEC would not be eligible.

This season is the best example of why that type of rule would be a horrible idea.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,717,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
While it may not be one of my brightest comments, it basically sums up how I feel when people say they do not want to see a rematch.

We gotta remember what the BCS is for, to match up #1 vs #2 to determine a national champ. It's the best system we have right now and its a vastly better that we used to have.
But #2 had its chance. Sorry. Get a better field goal kicker next year. Essentially the scenario you're angling for punishes LSU for doing everything right and playing one extra opponent in Georgia and rewards Alabama despite losing a game and missing out on the conference championship. What's more, anybody with a lick of sense knows that an all-SEC championship would be bad for the sport, just the way an all-Big Ten championship would have been a disaster in 2006.

Look, I know you desperately want to see the Tide back into the national title, but any objective viewer who wants to see college football thrive recognizes what a travesty this is.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:26 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,357,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
But #2 had its chance. Sorry. Get a better field goal kicker next year. Essentially the scenario you're angling for punishes LSU for doing everything right and playing one extra opponent in Georgia and rewards Alabama despite losing a game and missing out on the conference championship. What's more, anybody with a lick of sense knows that an all-SEC championship would be bad for the sport, just the way an all-Big Ten championship would have been a disaster in 2006.

Look, I know you desperately want to see the Tide back into the national title, but any objective viewer who wants to see college football thrive recognizes what a travesty this is.
But again the BCS is set up to match #1 vs #2, this just happens to be the year where the top two teams are from the SEC. It's not Bama's fault that its currently #2 in the BCS. It didn't buy,con or do anything else under-handed to get here. If you you want to blame someone blame OK State, Oregon, Stanford and the commissioners of the BCS conferences.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,378,459 times
You could make the same argument about the other teams, though...Oklahoma State had plenty of chances to beat Iowa State, including that last minute missed FG. Same deal for Oregon and USC.
Once Alabama lost other teams had an opportunity to overtake them, but in Oregon's case they failed to do so and in OSU's case they failed to keep their spot. OSU in particular had control of its own destiny, but lost it. Oklahoma had a chance to step up again but lost to Baylor. The top teams in the other conferences just couldn't win the games they needed to win, so we're looking at an all-SEC West championship.

As a fan, I don't really want to see a matchup that has already happened, but the other teams failed to win the games they needed to win to put themselves into the title picture. It would be a travesty if there were some great team out there with a similar record who was getting passed over, but there really isn't.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:56 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
If Arkansas loses a close game to LSU, does anyone think Arkansas will drop more than one spot despite having 2 losses? I doubt it. I think in this situation despite having 2 losses, they will still be ahead of the three other 1 loss teams(Stanford, VT, Boise St.) even if those teams win.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,744,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Just thinking...you know if we did have a "conference champions only" type rule this season, and if Georgia managed to win the SEC we'd most likely end up with Virginia Tech vs. the winner of Oklahoma/Oklahoma State for the BCS title....Georgia's record would not be good enough to get into the title game, and everyone else in the SEC would not be eligible.

This season is the best example of why that type of rule would be a horrible idea.
No dumber than LSU being ranked #2 after they lose to Georgia and having Alabama (who didn't even win their division) vs LSU (who didn't win their conference) in the NC game.

Might as well call it the "loser's NC game"

The National Championship Game should have two teams that are champions face off. Not two losers who didn't win anything.

The system is broken, and this year shows it like no other year has. I think it is time for a playoff... Even a 4 team playoff would be better than what we have. This year it could be:

#1 LSU vs. #4 OK-State
#2 Alabama vs. #3 Arkansas

Then #1 vs #2. At least then you wouldn't have one conference claiming they are national champion even though they didn't have to play a team in the game from a difference conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football