U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,359,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
No dumber than LSU being ranked #2 after they lose to Georgia and having Alabama (who didn't even win their division) vs LSU (who didn't win their conference) in the NC game.

Might as well call it the "loser's NC game"

The National Championship Game should have two teams that are champions face off. Not two losers who didn't win anything.

The system is broken, and this year shows it like no other year has. I think it is time for a playoff... Even a 4 team playoff would be better than what we have. This year it could be:

#1 LSU vs. #4 OK-State
#2 Alabama vs. #3 Arkansas

Then #1 vs #2. At least then you wouldn't have one conference claiming they are national champion even though they didn't have to play a team in the game from a difference conference.
But you would still likely end up with LSU vs Bama. Can we please accept that these are the two best teams according to the BCS and move on?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 PM

You know the funny thing about this whining about Bama is that most Bama fans, including myself are focusing on beating Auburn.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,745,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
But you would still likely end up with LSU vs Bama. Can we please accept that these are the two best teams according to the BCS and move on?.
Anything can happen in college football... as this past weekend proved...

As far as Alabama goes... they have beat 2 good teams this year (Penn State, Arkansas)... 2 of their non-conference games were against FCS foes (Georgia Southern, Kent State)

OK-State has beat 4 solid teams (Kansas State, Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M), and they have played no FCS teams

So no, we don't agree that Alabama is the best team.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,733,389 times
Quote:
But again the BCS is set up to match #1 vs #2, this just happens to be the year where the top two teams are from the SEC. It's not Bama's fault that its currently #2 in the BCS. It didn't buy,con or do anything else under-handed to get here. If you you want to blame someone blame OK State, Oregon, Stanford and the commissioners of the BCS conferences.
No, you're making a circular argument. You're saying that LSU and Alabama are #1 and #2 in the country because they're the best two teams in the country. And they're the best two teams in the country because they're #1 and #2.

However, the alleged Game Of The Century exposed a glaring special teams weakness in Alabama, one that a half-decent sportswriter would expose. That's not to say that Alabama isn't very, very good. But it also means that it isn't the total team that you'd like to believe.

LSU has a much stronger case than Alabama. They took apart two very strong OOC opponents in Oregon and West Virginia while Alabama roughed up Penn State. LSU has gone through a tougher schedule unscathed while Alabama has lost one.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Anything can happen in college football... as this past weekend proved...

As far as Alabama goes... they have beat 2 good teams this year (Penn State, Arkansas)... 2 of their non-conference games were against FCS foes (Georgia Southern, Kent State)

OK-State has beat 4 solid teams (Kansas State, Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M), and they have played no FCS teams

So no, we don't agree that Alabama is the best team.
I did say ACCORDING TO THE BCS. But in my opinion Bama would beat OK State.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No, you're making a circular argument. You're saying that LSU and Alabama are #1 and #2 in the country because they're the best two teams in the country. And they're the best two teams in the country because they're #1 and #2.

However, the alleged Game Of The Century exposed a glaring special teams weakness in Alabama, one that a half-decent sportswriter would expose. That's not to say that Alabama isn't very, very good. But it also means that it isn't the total team that you'd like to believe.

LSU has a much stronger case than Alabama. They took apart two very strong OOC opponents in Oregon and West Virginia while Alabama roughed up Penn State. LSU has gone through a tougher schedule unscathed while Alabama has lost one.
According to the BCS, LSU and Bama are the two best teams in the country. In my opinion LSU and Bama are the two best teams in the country. Is Bama better than OK State, I'm my opinion probably, they sure wouldn't of lost to Iowa St.

Why is everybody so butt hurt over a computer ranking?.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,883,509 times
I can't see any Pac-12 team, Big 10 team, Big 12 team or any team beating Bama. The only team that could beat Bama already did. I would prefer not to see two SEC teams play for the title. It would be more interesting to see teams from a different conference playing each other, but the reality is that LSU and Bama are 1 and 2. Just have to deal with it.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,745,511 times
Quote:
According to the BCS, LSU and Bama are the two best teams in the country. In my opinion LSU and Bama are the two best teams in the country. Is Bama better than OK State, I'm my opinion probably, they sure wouldn't of lost to Iowa St.

Why is everybody so butt hurt over a computer ranking?.
People thought OK-ST wouldn't lose to Iowa State too.

Anyone can lose at any time... there is no comparing different situations like that.

I think OK-ST, OU, VT, Oregon, and even Boise State could beat Alabama this year. Alabama couldn't even score a touchdown against LSU. Even Kentucky and Tennessee could score on LSU... My opinion: LSU is a solid team this year, Alabama is not--and doesn't deserve to be in the NC game. I think many people would agree with me...

But we will never know because there is no playoff...

Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
People thought OK-ST wouldn't lose to Iowa State too.

Anyone can lose at any time... there is no comparing different situations like that.

I think OK-ST, OU, VT, Oregon, and even Boise State could beat Alabama this year. Alabama couldn't even score a touchdown against LSU. Even Kentucky and Tennessee could score on LSU... My opinion: LSU is a solid team this year, Alabama is not--and doesn't deserve to be in the NC game. I think many people would agree with me...

LSU couldn't score a touchdown against Bama, so what?

OK St would probably lose to Bama
OU couldn't beat Texas Tech or Baylor and Bama is better that both of those teams
Virginia Tech???..LMAO!!!!.

Seriously your lack of football knowledge is starting to show, don't let your hate for Bama and the SEC keep your from facing reality.

Last edited by sleepless in Bham; 11-22-2011 at 09:14 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Quote:

Bama is a very solid team. All of those teams would lose to Bama easily. LSU beat Tennessee by 31 points and Kentucky by 28 points. That's hardly an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football