Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,791 times

Advertisements

Rematches usually end up differently, if not in outcome at least in scoring/tempo.

I favor Bama to win it, it is very difficult to beat someone twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
ABC showed a screen in the Stanford/ND game earlier projecting OKC St. playing Stanford in which bowl game i forgot..

They said if LSU wins next week, they will be definitely playing Bama no matter what. I have a feeling Arky only drops one spot or possibly two. I also think if LSU played Bama with the time off (a month off), Saban might figure out a way to beat LSU.
I'm 98 percent sure that LSU's in already. The only way I could see them not getting in is if Oklahoma State destroys OU and Georgia obliterates LSU, neither of which seem likely at this point. I could see LSU playing hard the first half and, regardless of what happens, easing up a bit in the second. In a way, this system is sort of victimizing LSU for its success, because it's playing an extra game that Alabama doesn't have to. LSU risks getting their players injured in a game that's mostly meaningless in terms of its real impact on the BCS picture, but one that's meaningful given the timing of it and how LSU would love to go into the BCS game on a high note. Alabama, meanwhile, basically gets a week off for losing to LSU at home...what's that?!

As for the rematch, it would be a good one. I'd have to agree that Alabama did get the better of LSU in that first game, even though the score says otherwise. Having said that, though, let's not forget that this was also the Jordan Jefferson game. He was their true starter all along. They used Jarrett Lee in the first quarter before realizing he wasn't going to get it done. THey needed a mobile QB that can force a defense to spread the field. Jordan did the job, but from what I've seen, he has improved since then. He might be more of a challenge for Alabama this time. I certainly don't think LSU's going to run up anything on Bama's defense, which is arguably the best in the nation. But I don't think it'll be two field goals this time. I think LSU gets a TD this time.

These two teams should play for the title. They're both clearly head and shoulders above everyone else. I think Alabama's got the best running backs and the best defense in all of college football, and LSU might have the best combination of everything. We'll see.

I know Georgia might have something to say about that next week, but LSU has had the better season up to this point and this is almost an extra game for LSU. It's like week 17 for the Patriots or Packers in the NFL. No disrespect to Georgia fans, though, they're clearly a different team than they were in week 1.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Rematches usually end up differently, if not in outcome at least in scoring/tempo.

I favor Bama to win it, it is very difficult to beat someone twice.
I think rematches favor teams that can adjust. I think Saban and the Tide can adjust, but I also think that Les Miles has a few tricks up his sleeve. Alabama's basically a bunch of bad-ass physical guys at each position who just wear teams out; LSU is slightly less physical, but still physical enough, and they typically win by making big momentum-changing plays.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:31 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
If they play again and its another close game, who gets the nod as BCS Champs?

Old 11-27-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
If they play again and its another close game, who gets the nod as BCS Champs?
Whoever wins. That's the rule according to BCS.

AP could possibly end up going rogue and nominating its own champion, which it did in 2003 (Jan. 2004) by nominating USC over LSU. However, I find it hard to believe that they would argue against Alabama if they win, even by the thinnest of margins. The first game was close, and a game that Alabama could have easily won.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,419 times
The SEC Championship is VERY important to SEC teams... please understand that! Guys go to SEC schools to win SEC titles & BCS titles. So LSU will compete hard to win in it. To suggest anything less than that is just ridiculous... as Les Miles said.

LSU will compete to win the SEC title!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
The SEC Championship is VERY important to SEC teams... please understand that! Guys go to SEC schools to win SEC titles & BCS titles. So LSU will compete hard to win in it. To suggest anything less than that is just ridiculous... as Les Miles said.

LSU will compete to win the SEC title!
I agree that they want to win this game, but human nature is human nature. They already know that barring a complete embarrassment, they're in the big game. Nine times out of ten, maybe even 19 times out of 20, whoever's playing in the SEC title game needs it to make their case for a national championship. This would be the case if there were two or three other undefeated teams, but because there aren't any other undefeated candidates from other leagues, it doesn't matter. It's an extra game for LSU.

Mentally, this will be the toughest game for LSU to get up for that they've played all year. This game more than any other jeopardizes their undefeated season and I wouldn't be surprised to see Georgia take it - perhaps by more than one score. Not that Georgia's better, but they're a really good team that's peaking right now, and they *do* have something to play for, whereas LSU really doesn't. They're already the unofficial SEC champs and what they're playing for in their next game is far bigger than the conference title.

I'll say this, if LSU does win this game, it will say a lot about their character. It would show me that they play to win every game, and they play for pride. Those kinds of teams are usually really hard to defeat, so it would be a good sign going into the title game if they could beat Georgia. I just won't be surprised if they slip up. That's all.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:08 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Saban might figure out a way to win? You're kidding right? He had Yankee Les Miles and the Bayou Bengals beat the 1st time if he didn't have a horrible kicker.

Did you even watch any highlights of the Bama/LSU game? The Bama kicker missed several field goals.
Well if you kick a field goal and it doesn't go over the cross bars or between the poles it doesn't count. Now I wonder what the first score would have been if they had been at death valley instead of at Alabama, then I guess everyone would be crying about if they were at home they would have won. Just accept you lost the first game and your gona get your azzes kicked in the Superdome in a few weeks and give it a rest. All this crying is hard to take, ya'll learned that crying from SAban?

The ol mad hatter Les Miles is a keeper, glad you like Saban, keep him.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Well if you kick a field goal and it doesn't go over the cross bars or between the poles it doesn't count. Now I wonder what the first score would have been if they had been at death valley instead of at Alabama, then I guess everyone would be crying about if they were at home they would have won. Just accept you lost the first game and your gona get your azzes kicked in the Superdome in a few weeks and give it a rest. All this crying is hard to take, ya'll learned that crying from SAban?

The ol mad hatter Les Miles is a keeper, glad you like Saban, keep him.
Thank you for explaining how field goals work. That was better than my Daddy's explanation in Pop Warner football ages ago. I'm pretty much an old crusty Okie now.

Interesting take since the Mad Hatter (the man looks like a darn fool wearing his hat like that, BTW) has been rumored to be fired several times in his tenure there.

I'm not a fan of Bammer, just stating the obvious as one who watched that game. I though Bama's defense was superior to LSU's. The only phase I would give LSU a slight edge in is special teams. Bottom Line: A few very makeable field goals easily results in a different outcome.

If the BCS Championship wasn't in LSU's backyard then I'd give Bammer about a 7-10 point advantage. Should be right at about 50-50 in New Orleans.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:58 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The only phase I would give LSU a slight edge in is special teams.
I would say LSU is way better at special teams. Brad Wing besides kicking those crazy punts (including a 73 yarder), his punt coverage team has teams only returning 6 yards total in the 40 punts this year. Let's not forget they can actually kick a 30 yard field goal, which Bama kickers can't do.

Quote:
Bottom Line: A few very makeable field goals easily results in a different outcome.
Completely agree. Alabama caused Alabama to lose that game as all those FGs were makeable.

Though, my prayers are that Georgia comes out for blood and wins by 14 causing LSU to miss any BCS game so that the BCS chaos continues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football