U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:44 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,527,355 times

Advertisements

He loves to poach Notre Dame recruits. Now he's closer.

Hide 'em, Brian Kelly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,086,182 times
A&M can no longer compete with Texas in recruiting in-state talent. That's the reason A&M felt the need to bolt to another conference, as stupid as I think the jump was for them. They'll be perennial bottom-feeders in the SEC.

I'm tentatively excited about this, but I think Urban leaves as soon as Braxton Miller is gone. He'll dominate the Big Ten, but will that translate into domination over other conferences in bowl games? I'm skeptical.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Status: "1st day of summer feels like fall" (set 26 days ago)

5,485 posts, read 3,220,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
A&M can no longer compete with Texas in recruiting in-state talent. That's the reason A&M felt the need to bolt to another conference, as stupid as I think the jump was for them. They'll be perennial bottom-feeders in the SEC.

I'm tentatively excited about this, but I think Urban leaves as soon as Braxton Miller is gone. He'll dominate the Big Ten, but will that translate into domination over other conferences in bowl games? I'm skeptical.
Keep the faith brother he signed a six year contract and now we will be able to compete in the coming years with the SEC come Bowl time.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:25 AM

12,579 posts, read 48,887,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
He said he wanted to come back home to Ohio.

Yeah, and all coaches tell the truth! Not.
But, when I call it- I call it:
Texas A&M fires football coach Mike Sherman | Comcast.net (http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20111202/Texas.A_M-Sherman.Fired/?cid=hero_media - broken link)

Sherman canned last night.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:11 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,527,355 times
Urban's already poaching recruits from Penn State and Michigan State.

He's like the wolf in the henhouse!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:30 PM

50,725 posts, read 26,752,776 times
Meyer will be mildly successful there at best. He'll beat Michigan every other year, and he'll win the Big 10 every 2 or 3 years.

But i don't see Ohio State winning a NC....

I still say that the guy left Florida because he couldn't handle the pressure of losing seasons after knowing he was gonna lose Tebow.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I think Urban jumped the gun-
Speculation of course but, he could have possibly returned to the SEC. Why? Because Texas A&M will be in the SEC next year and after this year's meltdown I can't see A&M keeping Mike Sherman if they're going to COMPETE in the SEC.

Yes, A&M fan. And not happy with Sherman.
Rant over.
A&M is gonna be a perennial SEC West bottom feeder. They'll beat Mississippi and Mississippi State every now and then, but that's about it.

They were better off staying in the Big 12.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:15 PM

As much as I like Fickell as a person, I'm not sure he's the right guy to be the defensive coordinator. I was hoping Mike Stoops would get the job.

Ditto Tom Herman. While anything would be better than walrus-human hybrid Jim Bollman (who finally got exposed as an awful offensive play-caller after Tress' departure), I'm not sure a guy in charge of the offense at middling Iowa State was the best choice, especially when Meyer protoge Studrawa (or however you spell his name) from LSU is available.

Needless to say, I'm a big believer in "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" when it comes to having a chance in hell against the SEC in a bowl game. I'm not convinced Meyer has the staff he needs to rise up to the occasion.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
As much as I like Fickell as a person, I'm not sure he's the right guy to be the defensive coordinator. I was hoping Mike Stoops would get the job.

Ditto Tom Herman. While anything would be better than walrus-human hybrid Jim Bollman (who finally got exposed as an awful offensive play-caller after Tress' departure), I'm not sure a guy in charge of the offense at middling Iowa State was the best choice, especially when Meyer protoge Studrawa (or however you spell his name) from LSU is available.

Needless to say, I'm a big believer in "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" when it comes to having a chance in hell against the SEC in a bowl game. I'm not convinced Meyer has the staff he needs to rise up to the occasion.
I don't think Meyer's staff is the problem, i think it's his natural recruiting area which will obviously be pretty broad, but still mainly the heart of the Rust Belt. I expect him to keep Ohio sewn up, and even keep some of the great recruits from going to ND and UM...

But i think the shift of demographics no longer favors most conferences outside of the SEC. Big 10 country is losing population, and losing it fast. When combined with the fact that southern boys have a knack for staying home nowadays, it's gonna be really difficult to take out the SEC in a big time bowl game. I think that the only conference that MIGHT even be able to compete is the southern half of the ACC...and even THEN i'm not so sure. Clemson, Ga Tech and Florida St are gonna have to lead the way, and i don't know if they can.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:32 PM

I don't disagree that Ohio State can't recruit on the same level as its southern counterparts, but I don't think even Clemson, GA Tech, Florida State or Miami can compete at the same level as the SEC nowadays. None of those teams have been nationally relevant (aside from ultimately meaningless BCS appearances thanks to being part of an AQ conference) in a long while.

But you're right: Its ridiculous to think some 17-year old football phenom is willing to go to cloudy/snowy/cold Ohio State (or Michigan, ND, etc) because of its past pedigree (which is increasingly irrelevant) over what schools like LSU, Bama and even Texas and the University of Southern California offer year-round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football