U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM

50,764 posts, read 26,790,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
I don't disagree that Ohio State can't recruit on the same level as its southern counterparts, but I don't think even Clemson, GA Tech, Florida State or Miami can compete at the same level as the SEC nowadays. None of those teams have been nationally relevant (aside from ultimately meaningless BCS appearances thanks to being part of an AQ conference) in a long while.

But you're right: Its ridiculous to think some 17-year old football phenom is willing to go to cloudy/snowy/cold Ohio State (or Michigan, ND, etc) because of its past pedigree (which is increasingly irrelevant) over what schools like LSU, Bama and even Texas and the University of Southern California offer year-round.
I do think Florida St and Miami have the pedigree to do so. I still can't figure out the problem at Miami. Johnson, Erickson, and Schnellenberger won by recruiting the 6 or 7 counties right around Miami, and it's not like there are any LESS great athletes there. It's not making any sense. They should be a perennial winner on talent alone.

As for the Big 10 recruiting area, you're right. It's cold, wet, snowy, and miserable up there for a good portion of the school year. Gonna be hard to recruit the good athletes from the south and west to come up there. Face it....the conference benefited for years by the fact that the SEC had been such a racist conference for so long. And even when the conference ended its defacto segregation policies, the bad taste lingered for a few decades afterwards. ND, Michigan, OSU, PSU, MSU, etc used to be able to scoop up those players or they went west. Hell, even Barry Switzer admitted that he use to paint UT as racist to steal all of Darrel Royal's recruits outta Texas.

Still though, i'd like to see the Big 10 return back to prominence again. I've never seen the conference so bad as it is right now. Well...at least MSU and the Badgers gave the conference something to cheer about for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,087,388 times
I don't get Miami either, but I've given up trying to figure that one out. South Florida produces an insane amount of talent. There's no reason, other than coaching incompetence, why the U isn't at the top of the ACC year in and year out.

Although one thing that I never understood about Tressel was why he couldn't seem to establish a solid recruiting pipeline out of the Cincinnati area the same way he could with Northeastern Ohio. Its not Florida or Texas, but there are some well-known powerhouses in the area: St Xavier, Colerain, Moeller and Elder readily come to mind, not to mention Highland on the other side of the river. I get why some of those kids end up at Notre Dame (which has a large following in Greater Cincinnati thanks to the region's Catholic heritage), but maybe Meyer can get something consistent started there. He went to UC (which, rightly or wrongly, hates its big brother in Columbus) and has ties to the area that Tressel didn't.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 AM

50,764 posts, read 26,790,111 times
Quote:
I don't get Miami either, but I've given up trying to figure that one out. South Florida produces an insane amount of talent. There's no reason, other than coaching incompetence, why the U isn't at the top of the ACC year in and year out.

Although one thing that I never understood about Tressel was why he couldn't seem to establish a solid recruiting pipeline out of the Cincinnati area the same way he could with Northeastern Ohio. Its not Florida or Texas, but there are some well-known powerhouses in the area: St Xavier, Colerain, Moeller and Elder readily come to mind, not to mention Highland on the other side of the river. I get why some of those kids end up at Notre Dame (which has a large following in Greater Cincinnati thanks to the region's Catholic heritage), but maybe Meyer can get something consistent started there. He went to UC (which, rightly or wrongly, hates its big brother in Columbus) and has ties to the area that Tressel didn't.
Cincinnati has an insane amount of talent. Like you say, it's not Miami, but it's pretty damn good regardless. Ohio is kind of a weird state. My great-grandparents come from the Cincy area, and they don't seem to have much allegiance to the state of Ohio. It's almost like they're Kentuckians, West Virginians, or Hoosiers. Big difference from let's say, Massillon (my dad's hometown) where they are Buckeye born and bred. If they don't go to OSU, they'll go to Toledo, Bowling Green, Miami of Ohio, Michigan, (assuming they're talented enough for a mid-major or larger).

I do agree that if Meyer is going to bring OSU back to prominence, he'll have to recruit the Cincy area well. He'll need to raid Pennsylvania, Indiana, and totally lock up Cleveland, Columbus, and the greater Toledo area. It would be nice if he could raid Chicago too....that's hardcore ND territory. They've got some amazing talent in that area.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,811,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Big 10 country is losing population, and losing it fast.
This is not supported by the facts. Only Michigan lost population in the last census.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,265,752 times
Did Urban Meyer find a new Quarterback he can fall in love with?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,087,388 times
Braxton Miller, apparently.

Problem is: Miller ain't Tebow

Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 PM

904 posts, read 1,636,588 times
Quote:
Braxton Miller, apparently.

Problem is: Miller ain't Tebow
Solution is: Hey, we have a QB who shouldn't be a RB...

Old 12-23-2011, 04:58 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,910,862 times
Quote:

Cincinnati has never been Ohio State territory. It's Notre Dame area. There were some exceptions. Carlos Snow comes to mind.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I do think Florida St and Miami have the pedigree to do so. I still can't figure out the problem at Miami. Johnson, Erickson, and Schnellenberger won by recruiting the 6 or 7 counties right around Miami, and it's not like there are any LESS great athletes there. It's not making any sense. They should be a perennial winner on talent alone.

As for the Big 10 recruiting area, you're right. It's cold, wet, snowy, and miserable up there for a good portion of the school year. Gonna be hard to recruit the good athletes from the south and west to come up there. Face it....the conference benefited for years by the fact that the SEC had been such a racist conference for so long. And even when the conference ended its defacto segregation policies, the bad taste lingered for a few decades afterwards. ND, Michigan, OSU, PSU, MSU, etc used to be able to scoop up those players or they went west. Hell, even Barry Switzer admitted that he use to paint UT as racist to steal all of Darrel Royal's recruits outta Texas.

Still though, i'd like to see the Big 10 return back to prominence again. I've never seen the conference so bad as it is right now. Well...at least MSU and the Badgers gave the conference something to cheer about for awhile.

Big Ten is 3-1 in BCS games the last 2 years. (One play from being 4-0). 3 years ago we became the only conference to beat five Top-15 teams in a bowl season. Still getting good recruits and putting plenty of players in the NFL.

Ohio State will be right back in the Top 10 after next year. MSU seems like they will be in the top 20 pretty consistently. Wisconsin aint going anywhere. Nebraska is always going to be in the top 15. Even that school from Ann Arbor is probably going to be a legit top 10 again.

Stop listening to ESPN. LOLs. The Big Ten is in much better shape than people think.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
As for the Big 10 recruiting area, you're right. It's cold, wet, snowy, and miserable up there for a good portion of the school year.
Boise States roster is all Southern California kids. Boise weather is worse than anything in Big Ten country.

I never bought the weather issue. Iowa has been using "bad weather" and "nothing to do in Iowa City" as an excuse for decades. Like there is a lot to do in State College or Lincoln. Lols. Sorry Hawkeyes.

Put a good coach with a winning program and a good school academically and you can get kids to go to school there.

If weather/entertainment had anything to do with it Florida International would be in the Rose Bowl this year and Wiscy would be sitting home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football