Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I think USC has taken over as the class of the Pac 12, overtaking Oregon as the favorite for the 2012 season. I think with Matt Barkley’s return for his senior season and essentially returning almost everyone including his two star wide receivers, not only are they favorite to win the Pac 12, they may be the preseason No.1 team in the country and they will be a contender for the national championship.

I see Stanford falling off the pace with the departure of Andrew Luck. Maybe to the point of no longer even being a relevant football program. Oregon will win the Pac 12 north, with USC winning the south and the Pac 12 championship game. With Lane Kiffin and his staff and their recruiting abilities, with Pat Haden as AD I can see USC at the beginning of another run at prominence, maybe even better then what Pete Carroll did.
Honestly, I think Oregon is already my pre-season favorite to win the national championship in 2012. Oregon got punked by USC this year, but let's remember that this was supposed to be a rebuilding season for the Ducks, who off-loaded a lot of talent after last year's loss to Auburn.

What the rest of the country doesn't know is that in addition to the skill set players, the team speed, and the second-to-none coaching, they are now starting to add some beef to the lines. I think the only question mark that I have about Oregon going forward is what kind of defensive line strength do they have over the next year or two. But the offensive line is going to blow some holes wide open, and we all have seen what happens when you give the little speedsters some room to run and throw. Wouldn't surprise me if Oregon puts up 50-55 points a game next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Honestly, I think Oregon is already my pre-season favorite to win the national championship in 2012. Oregon got punked by USC this year, but let's remember that this was supposed to be a rebuilding season for the Ducks, who off-loaded a lot of talent after last year's loss to Auburn.

What the rest of the country doesn't know is that in addition to the skill set players, the team speed, and the second-to-none coaching, they are now starting to add some beef to the lines. I think the only question mark that I have about Oregon going forward is what kind of defensive line strength do they have over the next year or two. But the offensive line is going to blow some holes wide open, and we all have seen what happens when you give the little speedsters some room to run and throw. Wouldn't surprise me if Oregon puts up 50-55 points a game next year.
A rebuilding year!! Try a year of being suspended with nothing to play for but pride and USC still went 10-2. Now they have something to play for, and almost everyone coming back, not to mention all the players that Kiffin redshirted in preparation for the lack of scholarships.

None of the experts predict Oregon as a preseason No.1 team, at least I haven't heard anyone saying it. But to be honest I hope they are in the running, being a USC fan also makes me a Pac 12 fan. I want as many Pac 12 teams to do well, except when they play USC!!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
A rebuilding year!! Try a year of being suspended with nothing to play for but pride and USC still went 10-2. Now they have something to play for, and almost everyone coming back, not to mention all the players that Kiffin redshirted in preparation for the lack of scholarships.

None of the experts predict Oregon as a preseason No.1 team, at least I haven't heard anyone saying it. But to be honest I hope they are in the running, being a USC fan also makes me a Pac 12 fan. I want as many Pac 12 teams to do well, except when they play USC!!
USC's got a problem: Lane Kiffin. You'll see.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:

Who the heck are these experts? Shoot, a ton of experts predicted Lucky boy and Stanford would take us out this year and be crowned Pac-12 Champions. And the moment we lost to LSU, every one of those so called experts predicted we just could not beat those big bad Stanford players. So, who the heck are these experts and what the heck do they know? Sc can be ranked #1 for all I care, but i think the Ducks beat SC.

I see the Nov. 3 SC game returning to the 2009-2010 form. Next year, Oregon will evolve into a far better spread team with receivers who were as highly recruited as your Frosh Phenom, Marquise Lee. SC will come in all jacked up with a head full of arrogance and Oregon will knock them back down. Kiffin will be coached out of his jock as he will prepare only for Oregon's running game, but you will see a ton of our talented trio- Devon Blackmon, Tacoi Sumler, and BJ Kelley- and those mofos are fast- Oregon fast! No more slow, gangly receivers like we have been playing the last 3 years. The defense will continue to improve as we played a lot of freshmen this year and a whole lot of 2 deep.

And the running game...you may even see a bit of that. We are almost unstoppable in Pac-12 play with the horses we have back there. Barkley and SC had the game of their lives and still nearly lost. No way in heck will Oregon allow that to happen.

Oregon will win the Pac-12 and anything less than a Natty appearance will be utter disappointment.

And just to stoke the rumor mill- Kenjon Barner may be the one going pro and not LMJ. Wouldn't that be something? Yowzaa!

Last edited by Acuda; 01-05-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 AM

I think Oregon's got to be considered a PAC 12 favorite, and I would not be surprised if they end up being the ones to finally end the Southeastern Conference's reign of dominance in a close game against Alabama, LSU, or an upstart Georgia or Arkansas team that finally makes it over the SEC title game hump.

The Ducks are going to return probably five starters on a bulked up offense. They are recruiting some monsters on the line, too, so their speedsters are going to have some bigger holes to blow right through, and they're going to wear teams down in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Their offense already scores about 45 points a game, but I'm not joking when I say that I wouldn't be surprised if they start cranking it up to 50+ points a game, and they might even have a few 60 or 70 point games against some unsuspecting victims.

But the bigger improvement will probably be on defense. That will probably be the focus for the rest of the recruiting season, and I'm guessing that's what the Ducks will work on a lot in the lead up to their opening season game. For all the talk about Chip Kelly's wizardry on offense, it was the defense that really propelled Oregon to the BCS title game in the 2010 season.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 AM

Well the experts are never 100% right, I just know they pick who they think will win the Pac 12 or who should be the preseason #1 team in the nation. And I haven't heard anyone picking Oregon.

To me Oregon is like a Boise St. Very entertaining but will never win the big one. Heck even this years Rose Bowl win was the first in how many years?? Or should I say decades!!! USC has maybe lost more Rose Bowls then Oregon has even played in. And that is very many!!!

I think that Oregon game was the turning point that returned USC back to prominence, and will not only be the best in the Pac 12, but amongst the best teams in the country. Just wait and see.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 AM

[quote=chickenfriedbananas;22423518]I think Oregon's got to be considered a PAC 12 favorite, and I would not be surprised if they end up being the ones to finally end the Southeastern Conference's reign of dominance in a close game against Alabama, LSU, or an upstart Georgia or Arkansas team that finally makes it over the SEC title game hump.

The Ducks are going to return probably five starters on a bulked up offense. They are recruiting some monsters on the line, too, so their speedsters are going to have some bigger holes to blow right through, and they're going to wear teams down in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Their offense already scores about 45 points a game, but I'm not joking when I say that I wouldn't be surprised if they start cranking it up to 50+ points a game, and they might even have a few 60 or 70 point games against some unsuspecting victims.

USC is returning 20 of 22 players on offense and defense!! And they already have a big bulky offensive line only losing All American Kalil. And they already have his replacement too!!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
USC is returning 20 of 22 players on offense and defense!! And they already have a big bulky offensive line only losing All American Kalil. And they already have his replacement too!!
Not just players, starters. And I was only talking about offense; I think they're returning a few more starters on defense too.

The one problem that Oregon has had even with all of its success is that while they've been talented, they haven't been as deep as some of the stronger programs over the past few decades. USC wasn't just good; they were deep. LSU and Alabama haven't been just good; they've been good. All of the big programs have typically been two or three deep in the backfield and they've had quality back-ups or future starters. Chip Kelly is getting Oregon to that point now. They're not just good; they're able to bring in other players. We saw that this year when LaMichael James went down. We've seen that with Darron Thomas.

I think the Ducks are just gettin' started my friend. I don't think they're going to be like USC of 2004; they'll be more like the Nebraska teams of the mid-1990s on offense, but with a little less power and more speed. They won't need that power with 6'7" 340 pound monsters on the line, like the ones they've just recruited. What's both amazing - and scary to anyone who plays these guys - is that Chip Kelly has won without getting the heralded rivals dot com recruits. He's done it by getting good - not great but good - football talent and by raising their game. He's done it with superior coaching and the team concept. It's scary to think what will happen when they do start getting the guys like Landon Collins (headed to Alabama) and Gunner Kiel (LSU).

Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Not just players, starters. And I was only talking about offense; I think they're returning a few more starters on defense too.

The one problem that Oregon has had even with all of its success is that while they've been talented, they haven't been as deep as some of the stronger programs over the past few decades. USC wasn't just good; they were deep. LSU and Alabama haven't been just good; they've been good. All of the big programs have typically been two or three deep in the backfield and they've had quality back-ups or future starters. Chip Kelly is getting Oregon to that point now. They're not just good; they're able to bring in other players. We saw that this year when LaMichael James went down. We've seen that with Darron Thomas.

I think the Ducks are just gettin' started my friend. I don't think they're going to be like USC of 2004; they'll be more like the Nebraska teams of the mid-1990s on offense, but with a little less power and more speed. They won't need that power with 6'7" 340 pound monsters on the line, like the ones they've just recruited. What's both amazing - and scary to anyone who plays these guys - is that Chip Kelly has won without getting the heralded rivals dot com recruits. He's done it by getting good - not great but good - football talent and by raising their game. He's done it with superior coaching and the team concept. It's scary to think what will happen when they do start getting the guys like Landon Collins (headed to Alabama) and Gunner Kiel (LSU).
I am a USC fan no doubt, but like I said I am a Pac 12 fan too. I want all the Pac 12 teams to do well. Even to the point that since Oregon had already lost two LSU, and USC being on probation. I wanted Stanford to run the table in hopes of going to the BCS championship game.

When Stanford played USC, I wanted Stanford to beat my Trojans for the good of the conference. And it couldn't have worked out better, they beat us in triple overtime. Then when Oregon kicked Stanford's butt, there went that.

Do you guys feel this way about our conference, or is it just me??

Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
I am a USC fan no doubt, but like I said I am a Pac 12 fan too. I want all the Pac 12 teams to do well. Even to the point that since Oregon had already lost two LSU, and USC being on probation. I wanted Stanford to run the table in hopes of going to the BCS championship game.

When Stanford played USC, I wanted Stanford to beat my Trojans for the good of the conference. And it couldn't have worked out better, they beat us in triple overtime. Then when Oregon kicked Stanford's butt, there went that.

Do you guys feel this way about our conference, or is it just me??
No way. I support my team above my team's conference...

Doesn't matter whats at stake for other teams in the conference, I always want my team to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football