U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,378,459 times

Advertisements

It is still a step up from the WAC, especially now that all of the other decent teams are gone [other than I guess Utah State and La. Tech.] They have already looked at replacements, although the WAC commissioner was making overtures this week to see if Hawaii, Fresno State, and Nevada might have changed their minds. Didn't sound like anyone was interested.

Fresno State just fired their coach, so they may be in for a long haul in the MWC, but he had really lost his will to win over the past few years so it was overdue.

As far as the name goes, when you can have a Big 10 with 12 teams and a Big 12 with 10 teams I think having a Big East with teams in Idaho and Texas probably can be overlooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 AM

738 posts, read 967,854 times
Too early to talk AQ for the Big East until the next 2 teams are picked. They should be western teams to cut travel. Air Force already refused.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

The "New" Big East
(10 Teams... in football)
Boise State
Houston
Central Florida
SMU
San Diego State
South Florida
Louisville
Cincinnati
Rutgers
Connecticut

I think they should definitely keep their AQ status. Now that the Mountain west is all but a memory of its former glory and conf USA has lost most of its good teams (to the Big East)-- who is left to give the AQ bid to?

Boise State will dominate this conference year in and year out.
Doubtful.

Houston, UCF and SMU are on the rise. Cincinnati, USF, Louisville, Rutgers, UConn and San Diego State are competitive currently and most have been ranked in recent years. Adding Boise State and San Diego State also gives the conference a new foothold with lucrative California/Arizona/Pacific Northwest recruiting possibilities. I also see the conference keeping it's automatic qualifier status because as mentioned the Mountain West and Conference USA have been decimated.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:44 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,777,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Doubtful.

Houston, UCF and SMU are on the rise. Cincinnati, USF, Louisville, Rutgers, UConn and San Diego State are competitive currently and most have been ranked in recent years. Adding Boise State and San Diego State also gives the conference a new foothold with lucrative California/Arizona/Pacific Northwest recruiting possibilities. I also see the conference keeping it's automatic qualifier status because as mentioned the Mountain West and Conference USA have been decimated.

I see the BE keeping its AQ status mainly because there are no guidelines for stripping a conference of said status. If that managed not to be the case, the ACC would be trembling like yesterday.

If that status is lost, it's because everyone else loses theirs as well. Or lawsuits fly. I know there are some forums where bitter fanbois of CUSA schools that got left behind won't accept that reality, but that's their problem, not that of the Big East.

As for recruiting possiblities, I don't see it being a big deal. The SEC doesn't need A&M to dig into Texas...just ask LSU. Most recruits stay close to home except for a handful of programs anyway.

I know it's not the greatest example, but when Houston got killed after John Jenkins got the boot during the run-&-shoot era of the early 90s, Kim Helton took over and thought it wise to burn bridges with local high school coaches (with kids wanting to play at UH) and recruit his home state of Florida. Well, as you can guess, he didn't exactly beat Miami, UF, or FSU for anything but scraps that could not get a scholly anywhere else. Oh well.

Granted, the BCS and Information Age has brought even the mid-majors unprecedented exposure that they could only dream of back in the "good ol' days", but I'd say it's a long shot a Cali kid runs off to Storrs, CT to play ball very often. I know Schiano at Rutgers gets some FL talent, but even selling his school being a relative stone's throw away from NYC and having a ton for a college kid to do hasn't won him a conference title yet.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
As for recruiting possiblities, I don't see it being a big deal. The SEC doesn't need A&M to dig into Texas...just ask LSU. Most recruits stay close to home except for a handful of programs anyway.

I'm not arguing against your overall point about BE recruiting so please dont take this question that way but I think your example is not good...

How many players are on scholarship for LSU from Texas? How many start?

The only player I am aware of from Texas on LSU's roster is Jarrett Lee... And he is not even close to being the cream of the crop from that state.

My point is.... having a school in Texas is a big deal for the SEC. The biggest difference will be for A&M though... not the other SEC schools. There are players in Texas who would love to play against SEC competition and still stay in the state. And other schools may be able to get more players than just a few now knowing they will play in Texas at some point guaranteed.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,526,459 times
Congratulations to the new Big EaWeNoSo

Old 12-10-2011, 12:15 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,576 times
No offense to the BE but this is silly.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:43 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,817,361 times
Will be interesting to see how Boise State do next year without Moore, some people thought they'd be down this year from the losses of last year but they've coped well so far.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:43 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,526,459 times
See seems to me that the Big East is seen as nothing more than "the portal to the BCS", the only conference (with the possible exception of the Big 12) that offers the slots that give BCS membership.

You want your university to have BCS status? Join the Big East.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Will be interesting to see how Boise State do next year without Moore, some people thought they'd be down this year from the losses of last year but they've coped well so far.
They did just fine before him (2006 13-0 Fiesta Bowl fun on OK) so I would think just fine without him. Now if Peterson was to go, then it would be a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or