U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 AM

788 posts, read 1,383,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
For who? Florida (FSU) and Georgia (GT)? Those are the only two that come to mind (I'm not a huge SEC fan so I'm sure there are more). Really? That keeps them from playing another conference opponent? Like I said, weak IMO. The SEC should have 9 Conference games just like the rest of the power conferences.
Auburn-Georgia & Alabama-Tennessee.

SEC found out the hard way that 14 teams is awful for scheduling.

Last edited by DtX4415; 09-30-2012 at 01:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 05:23 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,300,341 times
Quote:
For who? Florida (FSU) and Georgia (GT)? Those are the only two that come to mind (I'm not a huge SEC fan so I'm sure there are more). Really? That keeps them from playing another conference opponent? Like I said, weak IMO. The SEC should have 9 Conference games just like the rest of the power conferences.

USC and Stanford still play ND every year...
Your last sentence pretty much disqualifies you from this discussion.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,864,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
Auburn-Georgia & Alabama-Tennessee.

SEC found out the hard way that 14 teams is awful for scheduling.
That doesn't explain to me why the SEC can't play 9 conference games like other power conferences. NBD though, I was just curious. I will agree, 14 teams is weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Your last sentence pretty much disqualifies you from this discussion.
Did you join the conservation? I missed it. If teams from other conferences can preserve rivalries and still play 9 conference games why not the SEC?

Seems kind of unfair for teams whose rivals are not in the SEC. Looks like they have a tougher schedule most years.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 09-30-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 AM

788 posts, read 1,383,294 times
Quote:
That doesn't explain to me why the SEC can't play 9 conference games like other power conferences. NBD though, I was just curious. I will agree, 14 teams is weird.

Quote:
The SEC could have fixed Saban's issue in the spring by going to an eight-game format that would have teams playing six divisional opponents annually and then rotating two teams each year from the other division. But in order to do that, the historic cross-division rivalry games like Georgia-Auburn and Alabama-Tennessee would have gone way. That was not going to happen.
Georgia-Auburn is the longest continuous rivalry in the South, dating back to 1892.
"Keeping the Georgia-Auburn game was our top priority in the scheduling discussions," said Georgia athletics director Greg McGarity. "We understand that there needs to be some give and take, but our people do not want to give that game up."
But the world is changing quickly in college football, and the SEC has been ahead of the curve in most of the stops along the way. The only place where the SEC has hung back has been in scheduling. The SEC chose not to play nine conference game because in the short term it didn't need to play that card.
Saban makes it clear nine games is best for SEC, but not everybody agrees - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and BCS Rankings

Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,300,341 times
Quote:

Did you join the conservation? I missed it. If teams from other conferences can preserve rivalries and still play 9 conference games why not the SEC?

Seems kind of unfair for teams whose rivals are not in the SEC. Looks like they have a tougher schedule most years.
Take a look at the top 25 the last five years. That is why.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:19 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,864,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Take a look at the top 25 the last five years. That is why.
LOL. Same argument they used 20 some years ago when they went to 8 conference games. I guess some things never change.

I agree with Saban. He makes some great points;

"Everybody has their own situation and they try to do what is best for their school. I get that," said Saban. "But at some point we have to think about what's best for the conference and, more importantly, what's best for the players on our team."

"I just think that every player who comes to one of our schools should play every team in the conference if he stays four years," said Saban. "Under the current system we have guys who will never play Georgia or Florida. That's not right. If we have to play nine conference games to get that fixed then that is what we need to do."

Well said.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,744,784 times
My wife is a hardcore LSU fan and she's given up on them for this year. Their previous wins this season have been horribly ugly. They have enough talent to overcome their many turn overs, missed tackles, missed blocks, and penalties. But now that they played another ranked SEC team, their flaws cost them a win. They don't deserve even a low ranked bowl game if they continue playing this way.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,421,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
My wife is a hardcore LSU fan and she's given up on them for this year. Their previous wins this season have been horribly ugly. They have enough talent to overcome their many turn overs, missed tackles, missed blocks, and penalties. But now that they played another ranked SEC team, their flaws cost them a win. They don't deserve even a low ranked bowl game if they continue playing this way.
Defensively they played pretty good... They just got worn down because the offense and specifically Mettenberger... He is absolutely horrible. Worst than Jordan Jefferson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football