Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The oddest part was the Ags started chanting, "S-E-C, S-E-C!" (j/k)

Silly farmers.:

Last edited by Acuda; 07-29-2012 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I meant to our region more than anything. Arkansas is a lot closer to the Oklahoma schools in distance and culture than the folks over there on the eastside.
Bass...

I was reading the thread below and it made me remember this comment you made... Read what the Arkansas folks are saying. Sounds like they consider themselves more aligned with the eastside.

Is Arkansas considered a Midwestern state?

Here's one quote from it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
First of all, Arkansas doesn't border Kansas.

No offense, but it seems like you don't know much about most of Arkansas. You're a transplant that lives in the largest retirement area in the state, and your experience within two counties in the extreme northwestern corner of Arkansas doesn't speak for the whole state, much less all of north Arkansas.

There's not much more to say about this. Arkansas is a Southern state to the core, and half of it is actually in the Deep South. The only part that's watered down by Yankees is just those two densely populated counties in one far flung corner. NORTH Arkansas (including north central and north eastern) is Southern as can be, not "heartland" or Midwest. No question, no argument.

And for the record, I have lived in Fayetteville, and it is still Southern. Not Midwestern. Just because a lot of Yankees (no insult intended) have moved there over the years and dilluted the culture a bit, it doesn't change history or geography. And the transplant population there is nothing compared to North Carolina, the Atlanta area, Texas, or even north Alabama.
I speak as a sixth generation Arkie, born and raised. Not trying to be rude, just telling it plain.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,498,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRAZORHOG View Post
It's a big deal in those states.
I have several friends from Arkansas and a few from Louisiana. There is not one of them that considers AR/LSU a big rivalry. Not one.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Bass...

I was reading the thread below and it made me remember this comment you made... Read what the Arkansas folks are saying. Sounds like they consider themselves more aligned with the eastside.

Is Arkansas considered a Midwestern state?

Here's one quote from it...
I hear ya. Okies don't consider themselves "Midwestern" either, however....more of a Southwest by South hybrid. Or just plain ol' Western. (Oh, and I DEFINITELY agree that Arkansas is a Southern state thru and thru <---This is so obvious I don't know how it could even be questioned. I just don't see Arkansas as SouthEASTERN. There is a distinct difference between Arkie and Georgia/South Carolina, for example. This reality is quite obvious to those that have visited the Deep South and Southern states more on the periphery.)

Yet, as you have noted before, this is not the right forum to discuss it. There's plenty of "Who's in the Midwest" (*snore*) or "Who's in the South" (*yawn*) etc. over on the General Forum.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 07-30-2012 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 PM

38 posts, read 91,651 times
Quote:
I have several friends from Arkansas and a few from Louisiana. There is not one of them that considers AR/LSU a big rivalry. Not one.
Nobody said it was a BIG rivalry. Just an old one.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times
Wonder if this is true?

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/big12/2...out-from-espn/

ESPN offers $80 million annually to televise the Big12/SEC Champions bowl game?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I hear ya. Okies don't consider themselves "Midwestern" either, however....more of a Southwest by South hybrid. Or just plain ol' Western.
Yea I thought about that after I posted this... Good call. I was gonna ask you what do Okies consider themselves. lol...

Quote:
(Oh, and I DEFINITELY agree that Arkansas is a Southern state thru and thru <---This is so obvious I don't know how it could even be questioned. I just don't see Arkansas as SouthEASTERN. There is a distinct difference between Arkie and Georgia/South Carolina, for example. This reality is quite obvious to those that have visited the Deep South and Southern states more on the periphery.)
We do not consider Georgia/South Carolina as SouthEASTERN either. That really came from the SEC name. We just consider it all the South. We dont say... I am from the "southeast" region of the US. We say I am from the South. So Arkansas would be the same.

Conference names get people confused on geography some time.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Yea I thought about that after I posted this... Good call. I was gonna ask you what do Okies consider themselves. lol...

We do not consider Georgia/South Carolina as SouthEASTERN either. That really came from the SEC name. We just consider it all the South. We dont say... I am from the "southeast" region of the US. We say I am from the South. So Arkansas would be the same.

Conference names get people confused on geography some time.
Absolutely. Many in Oklahoma and Texas would say the same thing or even better simply, "I'm from Oklahoma/Texas." I lived right on the edge of the Florida panhandle for a bit and I never heard from locals, "I'm from the Southeast." They would just say, "I'm from the South/Florida."

What you speak of is why I think it would make a lot more sense if the SEC, a conference spanning as far west as Missouri/Arkansas/Texas was simply the Southern Conference or maybe even just highlight the recent dominance with "BCS Dominators" or something like that. It allows for the full geography of the South to be included...not just a sub-region (Southeast) of the larger expanded South. (Although Missouri solidly is a Midwestern state on the edge of the South.) Maybe Slive&Co. could buy the rights of SC/Southern Conference from those powerhouse programs such as Appalachian St. or Davidson?

Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Absolutely. Many in Oklahoma and Texas would say the same thing or even better simply, "I'm from Oklahoma/Texas." I lived right on the edge of the Florida panhandle for a bit and I never heard from locals, "I'm from the Southeast." They would just say, "I'm from the South/Florida."

What you speak of is why I think it would make a lot more sense if the SEC, a conference spanning as far west as Missouri/Arkansas/Texas was simply the Southern Conference or maybe even just highlight the recent dominance with "BCS Dominators" or something like that. It allows for the full geography of the South to be included...not just a sub-region (Southeast) of the larger expanded South. (Although Missouri solidly is a Midwestern state on the edge of the South.) Maybe Slive&Co. could buy the rights of SC/Southern Conference from those powerhouse programs such as Appalachian St. or Davidson?
LOL...

Hey don't knock the SoCon... I played at Wofford.

Davidson doesnt play football by the way. The football powerhouses are App St, GA Southern, and Wofford.

The reason the SEC is not called the Southern Conference is because the SoCon was first, established in 1921. The SEC didnt come along til '32 so they had no choice but to use something like Southeastern.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:53 PM

410 posts, read 341,911 times
I wish OU would have gone to the SEC. I think they could be competitive there, and would have to go back to their defensive mindset of 12 years ago to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football