Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times

Advertisements

I don't care for NFL anymore. Haven't watched more than 5 minutes of it for at least the past 10 years. Except the superbowl.

I can't believe there isn't a recent thread on college football. I live in Oklahoma, but went to school at Kansas State University when Coach Bill Snyder was there. He was great.

Man, we had a blast. I went to every single home game from 90 to 95. Now, I am surrounded by OU fans. Sorry, OU fans. Remember in 02-03 when OU claims to have won the national title the same year they lost to KSU in the Big 12 champioship?

How can you be #1 in the nation, when you are #2 in your own conference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
I'm ready for College Football! This is one of my favorite weekends of the year, Labor Day, and it's all that much more special because College Football is kicking off this weekend! Oh, and redbird, I am a Sooner fan as well.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:38 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I don't care for NFL anymore. Haven't watched more than 5 minutes of it for at least the past 10 years. Except the superbowl.

I can't believe there isn't a recent thread on college football. I live in Oklahoma, but went to school at Kansas State University when Coach Bill Snyder was there. He was great.

Man, we had a blast. I went to every single home game from 90 to 95. Now, I am surrounded by OU fans. Sorry, OU fans. Remember in 02-03 when OU claims to have won the national title the same year they lost to KSU in the Big 12 champioship?

How can you be #1 in the nation, when you are #2 in your own conference?
I'm not sure why OU would claim to have won the national title that year, considering they lost to LSU in the national championship game. The title was split by LSU and USC that year.

I agree, however, that OU had NO business playing for the title to begin with after the 35-7 shellacking KSU put on them in the Big XII Championship.

It's too bad that the Big XII has turned into another version of the Fudge Pac 10, with one really good team, one decent one, and a bunch of glorified high school squads.

The SEC is, always has been, and always will be where the nation's best college football is played. GO BIG ORANGE!

Old 09-01-2007, 06:14 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,750 times
Default Big 12...Boomer Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I'm not sure why OU would claim to have won the national title that year, considering they lost to LSU in the national championship game. The title was split by LSU and USC that year.

I agree, however, that OU had NO business playing for the title to begin with after the 35-7 shellacking KSU put on them in the Big XII Championship.

It's too bad that the Big XII has turned into another version of the Fudge Pac 10, with one really good team, one decent one, and a bunch of glorified high school squads.

The SEC is, always has been, and always will be where the nation's best college football is played. GO BIG ORANGE!

I agree with the SEC being the better all around conference...It is proven in many ways. But conferences go back and forth...But OU winning what national title in what year?? Uh..2000 was the last national title year. 13-0.

University of Oklahoma
3rd all-time winningest football program.
7 national titles.

Sorry cant help myself with the stats.....

Old 09-01-2007, 06:59 AM

^Ditto to that Happytown. The last time OU won a national title was in 2000. Not sure where these claims of a title in 02 stem from. OU doesn't claim a title other than in 2000 (in this decade). And I agree, the SEC is the better all around conference, at this time. That's why they have seasons, and competitions. Let the best team win!

Old 09-01-2007, 09:30 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,750 times
Default Boomer........Sooner............Boomer............ .Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
^Ditto to that Happytown. The last time OU won a national title was in 2000. Not sure where these claims of a title in 02 stem from. OU doesn't claim a title other than in 2000 (in this decade). And I agree, the SEC is the better all around conference, at this time. That's why they have seasons, and competitions. Let the best team win!
What is funny Synopsis is...........We dont share our titles....Like otherusc football programs.

Oklahoma's 47-game winning streak. The longest in NCAA D1. Set by Bud Wilkinson's fabled teams in the mid-1950's. Will never be broken.......

Last edited by happytown; 09-01-2007 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-03-2007, 01:19 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Default O-who?

quack! quack! I mean blue fields are way cool. eh?

I also like Joe Pa. Reminds me of the Pop Warner days. A lot of times, I think the coaching staff make a big difference in which teams I like.

In Big XII basketball, I used to really like KU's basketball program. But they have a new coach now.

I also pull for the underdogs during the preconference games.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post

Sorry, but I just had to point this one out:

CAL ("Fudge" Pac 10)...45
TENNESSEE (SEC) .......31

Another observation: Looks like the SEC is fixin' to go 0-2 against the Big East. But on the bright side, the SEC is 3-0 against the
Sun Belt Conference.

Chap

Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
What is funny Synopsis is...........We dont share our titles....Like otherusc football programs.

Oklahoma's 47-game winning streak. The longest in NCAA D1. Set by Bud Wilkinson's fabled teams in the mid-1950's. Will never be broken.......
I have to be reading this wrong, but are you ribbing USC a little bit because they shared a title with LSU. Wasn't it the Sooners that lost in the title game that year anyway? So you definitely wouldn't have shared it. And wasn't it the Sooners that lost the following year to SC, hmm, what was that score again? Oh yeah, 55-19. Is it that same USC team that has a 6-2-1 record vs. the Sooners, a 28-7-2 record vs. Big 12 opponents, 7 Heisman Trophy winners (4 for OU) and of course 11, count em', 11 National Championships, 4 more than Oklahoma.

Now that seems much more funny to me.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Can't Dispute Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I have to be reading this wrong, but are you ribbing USC a little bit because they shared a title with LSU. Wasn't it the Sooners that lost in the title game that year anyway? So you definitely wouldn't have shared it. And wasn't it the Sooners that lost the following year to SC, hmm, what was that score again? Oh yeah, 55-19. Is it that same USC team that has a 6-2-1 record vs. the Sooners, a 28-7-2 record vs. Big 12 opponents, 7 Heisman Trophy winners (4 for OU) and of course 11, count em', 11 National Championships, 4 more than Oklahoma.

Now that seems much more funny to me.
Yep, USC put a good arse wooping on us in that game, and they are a very storied program as well. Maybe next time we'll even up the score a little better. I hope the two make it to the Championship game this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football