U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,090,007 times

Advertisements

Why is everyone so upset about corporations naming the bowl games - and the $$$$$$ that the games generate? Why is this bad? The schools that participate in the games get money that helps fund both athletics and academics. The fans of the teams who play in the bowl game do care - seems some here are just upset because they don't follow for intance - the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin Cajuns. Well, neither do I - but I'm certainly not going to tell a RC fan that their team is a nobody and they shouldn't fill up the schedule with their presence. That is total arrogance. Lastly - the corporation (oops - I used the 11 letter word!)'s benefits from the advertising. Is this a bad thing? Consider this - if the bowls were not sponsored they likely wouldn't exist - and the only reason anyone would think that is a good thing is if they are an arrogant snob (see above).

Institute a playoff that consists of the current BCS bowls. Leave the other bowls in place. They generate income for the schools, are a tradition that will be hard to simply toss away, and do not have to be scrappped for a playoff to be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,386,327 times
This year I have tuned in to a lot of them. What can I say, I like football. I especially like seeing teams match up that don't normally play.

I know people complain, but without them a lot of schools would not really have anything to play for, especially smaller conference schools.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 PM

21,421 posts, read 21,980,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Wait wait, it's coming to me........I GOT IT.

Maybe you could NOT WATCH them maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I watch ESPN but not the bowl games. The only bowl games I watch are the rose bowl and championship game. Your comment=Epic Fail.
Greatest failure in an attempted use of the unimaginative "Epic Fail" comment ever performed.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,623,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Greatest failure in an attempted use of the unimaginative "Epic Fail" comment ever performed.
I'm really not interested in getting in to a dispute with a couple of e-thugs. If you don't want to answer the topic of my thread then don't comment.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,623,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
This year I have tuned in to a lot of them. What can I say, I like football. I especially like seeing teams match up that don't normally play.

I know people complain, but without them a lot of schools would not really have anything to play for, especially smaller conference schools.
Well it could be like college basketball. The teams from those smaller schools would have to win the conference to earn an automatic bowl bid. The two teams I mentioned in my OP are from the SEC and ACC respectively and with their records shouldn't have received invites. That's what these small conference schools should play for.

I'm not saying eliminating all the bowl games but a good 15 or 20 should be enough to ensure that the best teams get a chance to play one extra game and earn that money.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,386,327 times
I don't agree with that either, a lot of these smaller conferences usually have at least two or three teams that have at least seven or eight wins. Actually with that system Boise State wouldn't have gotten to play a bowl game since they didn't win the MWC [by one point] and that's just crazy.

I just don't really have a problem with all the bowl games. I've never understood why someone who likes college football would want fewer games. I always like seeing teams match up that don't often play, or a smaller school taking on a bigger one. I do think it's a little lame when you have schools that are barely at .500 playing [and these are almost always the AQ schools] but big schools bring more fans.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:19 AM

9,585 posts, read 8,910,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Unfortunately yes. I was hoping ESPN would show some NBA tonight(they usually show NBA on fridays) but lo and behold, bowl-mania has taken over all of their channels.
Just because ESPN is plastering it all over the place doesn't mean anyone is actually watching it

They can spoon feed us crap and tell us its a steak all they want. In the end it still tastes like crap./

Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,161,275 times
(Long):

College Football's Fleecing of American Universities - Page 1 - News - Dallas - Dallas Observer

Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 AM

3,993 posts, read 3,648,573 times
It's all about the money, from the cities that host them, to the corporations that sponser them, to the networks that show them and the colleges that get to play in them. Even colleges that don't get to play get revenue sharing through the conferences, I know the SEC does this, maybe all don't.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:13 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,423,177 times
What are you talking about? The four teams that are playing this afternoon have a combined record of 14-20 within their respective conferences, and one of them is trying to break a 6-game losing streak. You're not glued to your TV set watching these big time powerhouse teams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football