U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,711,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
That includes almost impossible geographics for fans, universities, and media. I'll take the top 8 with only a couple extra games.
That doesn't hinder basketball's March Madness. The big money is in the TV revenues (especially if the games count for something), not the ticket sales. With no games at all for the first three weeks of December, the fans don't get to go to any during that month, anyway. But I'll gladly go with 16 instead of 32 (or maybe 24, with first round bye for the top 8), at least stop the foolishness of Alabama sitting around for 44 days (Nov 26 to Jan 9) trying to keep in shape for one game.

I have a feeling the media will figure out how to get it covered, and the universities get a share of the money. The media will decide when the games are played, to suit their own convenience, same as they do in all sports.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-03-2012 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,838,848 times
Well the three bowl games I watched today

MSU V Georgia
Oregon V Wisconsin
Okie State V Stanford

Were all good close matchups between good teams, something I've been waiting a while for.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,131,210 times
I don't think there are "too many" bowl games --

I think there are "too many" bowl games that take place on the same day, same time.

It is stupid that I can't watch Georgia and Florida's bowl games, because they're on at the same time as Carolina's bowl game.

And the problem isn't just that so many of them are on at the same time, but I lack the attention span to watch 4, 5, 6 games in one day. They should spread the good matchups out over the holidays a little more.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 AM

13,240 posts, read 18,096,728 times
My revised NCAA "bowl" schedule...

December 23
- Poinsettia Bowl (4PM)
- Hawaii Bowl (8PM)

December 27
- Military Bowl (4PM)
- Armed Forces Bowl (8PM)

December 28
- Champs Sports Bowl (12N)
- Independence Bowl (4PM)
- Holiday Bowl (8PM)

December 29
- Music City Bowl (1PM)
- Alamo Bowl (5PM)
- Insight Bowl (9PM)

December 30
- Liberty Bowl (1PM)
- Sun Bowl (4PM)
- Outback Bowl (8PM)

December 31
- Gator Bowl (12N)
- Capital One Bowl (4PM)
- Chick-Fil-A Bowl (8PM)

January 1
- Orange Bowl (12N)
- Sugar Bowl (4PM)
- Rose Bowl (8PM)

January 2
- Cotton Bowl (4PM)
- Fiesta Bowl (8PM)

January 3
- BCS National Championship (8PM)

All times listed are Eastern time. I did my best to make it geographically consistent, moving east to west across the country as each day progresses. There would be no fewer than two bowl games per day except when the BCS National Championship is played, and no more than three per day. This would allow every bowl game to have its own time slot, although the end of the Liberty Bowl and the beginning of the Sun Bowl might overlap slightly. There would be some flexibility in the schedule, deferring to the NFL on Sundays, but December 24-26 would remain bowl-free regardless. CBS and FOX would be allowed rights to more of the games, as opposed to ABC/ESPN dominating them all. (As it currently stands, CBS only has rights to the Sun Bowl, and FOX only has rights to the Cotton Bowl.)

In my revised schedule, the Cotton Bowl would become a BCS bowl for the Big 12, while the Fiesta Bowl would become a bowl for two "at-large" teams, whether they be champions in "mid-major" conferences, or runners-up in BCS conferences. And if you don't see a certain bowl game listed, then it doesn't exist anymore. This will reduce the "participation trophy" vibe that some bowls have, since only 44 teams out of 120 would qualify to play in one. Furthermore, no bowl games will ever be played in baseball parks anymore.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,762,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
My revised NCAA "bowl" schedule...
December 23
- Poinsettia Bowl (4PM)
- Hawaii Bowl (8PM)
December 27
- Military Bowl (4PM)
- Armed Forces Bowl (8PM)
December 28
- Champs Sports Bowl (12N)
- Independence Bowl (4PM)
- Holiday Bowl (8PM)
December 29
- Music City Bowl (1PM)
- Alamo Bowl (5PM)
- Insight Bowl (9PM)
December 30
- Liberty Bowl (1PM)
- Sun Bowl (4PM)
- Outback Bowl (8PM)
December 31
- Gator Bowl (12N)
- Capital One Bowl (4PM)
- Chick-Fil-A Bowl (8PM)
January 1
- Orange Bowl (12N)
- Sugar Bowl (4PM)
- Rose Bowl (8PM)
January 2
- Cotton Bowl (4PM)
- Fiesta Bowl (8PM)
January 3
- BCS National Championship (8PM)
All times listed are Eastern time. I did my best to make it geographically consistent, moving east to west across the country as each day progresses. There would be no fewer than two bowl games per day except when the BCS National Championship is played, and no more than three per day. This would allow every bowl game to have its own time slot, although the end of the Liberty Bowl and the beginning of the Sun Bowl might overlap slightly. There would be some flexibility in the schedule, deferring to the NFL on Sundays, but December 24-26 would remain bowl-free regardless. CBS and FOX would be allowed rights to more of the games, as opposed to ABC/ESPN dominating them all. (As it currently stands, CBS only has rights to the Sun Bowl, and FOX only has rights to the Cotton Bowl.)

In my revised schedule, the Cotton Bowl would become a BCS bowl for the Big 12, while the Fiesta Bowl would become a bowl for two "at-large" teams, whether they be champions in "mid-major" conferences, or runners-up in BCS conferences. And if you don't see a certain bowl game listed, then it doesn't exist anymore. This will reduce the "participation trophy" vibe that some bowls have, since only 44 teams out of 120 would qualify to play in one. Furthermore, no bowl games will ever be played in baseball parks anymore.

Any thoughts?
I'm not sure about having three BCS bowls on one day (Jan 1), but I like the idea of the Cotton Bowl being a BCS bowl. I believe one day it will become one.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:05 PM

18,700 posts, read 27,261,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Well the three bowl games I watched today

MSU V Georgia
Oregon V Wisconsin
Okie State V Stanford

Were all good close matchups between good teams, something I've been waiting a while for.
But those teams deserved to go to a bowl game. 6-6 teams should not go. This is all about money. I told my Dad earlier this week that New Years Day use to be THE day for all college football fans. You sit back and watch college games for the last time until September and they were great games as well. All of those current BCS bowl games were played on Jan 1 including the Hall of Fame Bowl, Citrus Bowl, Cotton Bowl, w/e. You had the best of the best playing on that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football