U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this years National Championship game?
Yes 17 58.62%
No 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,364,166 times

Advertisements

This conversation of what if's is pointless. Bama beat the #1 team in the nation, would of probably beaten OSU and Stanford.

Also if I hear another Texas fan talk about how they should of won the 2009 BCS title, im gonna go nuts. Texas lost, get over it and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,212,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
This conversation of what if's is pointless. Bama beat the #1 team in the nation, would of probably beaten OSU and Stanford.

Also if I hear another Texas fan talk about how they should of won the 2009 BCS title, im gonna go nuts. Texas lost, get over it and move on.
There ya go....

Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,615,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
WHAT GAME?!?!?!?

LSU didn't even bother to show up.

And for the love of God, enough of this "Well if Alabama played OSU or Stanford, it wouldn't have even been close." THIS wasn't close. That's why everyone is p.o.'ed. "Knowing" who's the best and 2nd best football team in the country is just like "knowing" you'll live to see a full day tomorrow. It's all subjective. It's all bias, and you know it. It just seems like no one has the stones to admit that you're just picking teams to play these games because they just look prettier.

If Alabama was the #2 team in the country, then I guess LSU had to be #20 tonight. If that's the logic we're going with, anyway...
First you're mad that Alabama is in the game, and now you're saying that LSU is number 20. LOL! It took another SEC team to make LSU look that bad. If it were that easy, Oregon or West Virginia or even Arkansas and Georgia would have done it.

For the last time, not even SEC fanatics (Alabama, LSU, or SEC homers) are debating that a playoff would be infinitely better -- if for no other reason than to shut everyone else up once and for all. We all know the BCS sucks. That's a dumb point to discuss.

The point is, based on this screwy system that we have, which two teams had the best performances going into the bowl season. All teams know that these are the ground rules going into the final game of the year. All teams know that one loss *could* mean the end of your BCS title hopes. Nothing in the BCS rules rule out a 1 and 2 from the same conference. Again, teams know that. Teams know you can't lose to a 6-6 team and expect to get into the playoffs without some luck. LSU had already made its case in compelling fashion. Alabama had one loss, as did OSU, but OSU lost to a team that barely made it to a bowl before getting stomped by f*cking Rutgers!!! lol!

For all of your protests, you obviously keep watching. You obviously followed the game. If you're really under the impression that the two best teams didn't play each other, then seriously, watch Wheel of Fortune or whatever reruns are on cable-satellite tonight.

Give it a rest, my friend. 'Cause Bama's gonna be champs in the end.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 AM

14,157 posts, read 19,808,972 times
I hate Bama so much.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Default Moving on to the game itself

Breaking down the LSU-Alabama BCS title game, I'm left with a few final thoughts.

First of all, Alabama won because they're the better team. I know a lot of anti-BCS'ers/anti-SEC'ers are probably screaming that anybody could have done this to LSU, and there's always the possibility that such a prophesy could become reality. The truth is, as Iowa St. proved, anybody that's even remotely bowl worthy can beat anybody on any given night if the opposing team suffers lapses and doesn't play with energy sustained throughout the entire game. That's true. There's no debating that. And it's also true that upsets sometimes just happen. Receivers drop passes. Other teams play the game of their lives. Those things happen. Won't dispute that either. We all know that, and we all know that the BCS needs to improve to allow more opportunities for 1-loss teams to get a shot at the title. I would rather not see another intra-conference rematch anymore than anyone else here, unless there's a playoff on those two teams end up meeting after having taken on teams from other conferences.

But that aside, LSU didn't lose because it had been in hiding and finally had some weaknesses exposed by its first quality opponent; LSU lost because Alabama was, and has been all season long, the best team in the country. In the November game, LSU got away with one. But not last night.

I think you could see it in the way the Tigers came out on offense, and that's where they really seemed to lose the game last night. It's like they were saying to themselves "Sh*t, we have to figure out a way to move the ball against these guys again." I had thought that LSU would respond a lot better mentally than they did. I was particularly surprised that Jordan Jefferson seemed to unravel, because he's had big games before and remained perfectly poised. He's done well in previous bowl games and he played well in several key games down the stretch this year.

On defense, I think LSU did fine, especially when you consider that they were constantly playing with their backs to the wall. They gave up some big plays from A.J. but I think you just have to credit A.J. for coming out and having the best single performance of his career. Statistically, maybe not, but in terms of making big plays in big moments, McCarron was excellent last night. LSU finally gave up a rushing touchdown, which sealed the game in the final minutes. They had finally reached their breaking point, but that had a lot to do with LSU's struggles on offense. The defense did their job, but the offense just couldn't get it going at all.

However, I don't think you can make excuses for LSU's offense. The bottom line is that Alabama's defense was just flat out dominant, even more than they were the first time they played. True to form, Alabama once again proved that they had the superior strength on the lines. However, they made one significant change that I saw, which was that their linebackers were really good at reading the option play. The one area in which Alabama struggled a little coming into the game was at defending the option. Not so last night. They smothered the option.

What surprised me about LSU was that they were out-coached in this respect. I know it's heresy to even consider Miles and Saban in the same sentence, but the fact is, I've seen Miles outcoach Saban, and I've seen Saban get out-coached -- but not tonight. Not even close. Saban and the Tide dominated the sideline battle, too. The LSU coaching staff didn't really seem to have any answers for that lack of an option threat, once Alabama removed that from their playbook. Surprisingly, they kept going with it and trying to make Jefferson throw down field only once in a while. I thought (and Herby even pointed out) that LSU's receivers were getting open because of the tight coverage at the line. I'm surprised that they didn't come out in the second half and set up more passing offensive schemes. But to Alabama's credit - and it's important to note this - the Tide also took away the short pass and the screen pass. That meant that most of the passing would have had to go long, and having that dominant Alabama defensive line penetrate, sack, and hurry Jefferson more than once served to make Jefferson uncomfortable all night long meant that they had effectively made the long ball a very, very low percentage play. Again, I don't know if that's really so much LSU's fault as it is Alabama just doing what they've been doing all season long and finally making it all come together at the most important time.

Although I'm tired of debating this, I'll throw it out there one more time. Could anyone else have done better against Alabama?

Again, as I said before, anything can happen on any given night, but that's a given already. But realistically, which teams out there in the BCS mix might have matched up better in some ways against Alabama?

There's one team -- perhaps two -- that come to mind. But the first team that might have at least a better shot offensively would be Stanford. The Cardinal are the one team that mixed up running and passing better than any team out there. I don't think you can be a one-dimensional team and expect to beat Alabama's defense. Stanford would definitely score points early. The question is, would they keep scoring, and would they be able to defend Alabama's underrated offense, especially on the ground? I think that's where Stanford would get into trouble and eventually lose the game. But they'd probably make a half out of it.

Maybe OSU could get similar results with their mostly passing offense. With their unconventional mix of receivers they could probably spread out Alabama's defense a little more than LSU was able to. They would at least be able to take away Alabama's strengths and make their secondary work harder. But Alabama's got the lines covered, and the pressure they bring is something that neither of those two teams above have seen.

The other team that might actually have the best shot against Alabama would be Boise St. Statistically, they actually match up better against Alabama than just about any of the teams that haven't played them. The obvious question is, what do those stats mean. Moreover, those defensive stats do change when they play better teams, giving up more than their average 19 points per game to Georgia and TCU, neither of which are in the same league as Alabama.

I agree, there's definitely a need for a playoff. Until we get one we're left with speculation, which is not the right way to choose a champion. Having said that though, I have no problem with Alabama being named the champion this year. I don't think there's a team out there that's done any more to prove it.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I hate Bama so much.
I feel your pain, but I try not to get too emotionally invested in it.

I just hope that this doesn't devastate our recruiting for the future. I don't think that it will. I think it will hurt us, but if Auburn can come out of nowhere and go from 5-7 to national champs in two years then I think we can surely do the same. But this will sting for a while, and we're probably going to have some of our better recruits go to Alabama at times.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,962,192 times
Love all the score predictions in the first part of this thread.
NOBODY - no, nobody! - could have predicted the final score:
Alabama 21
LSU 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I hate Bama so much.
Bless your heart.
Bama is still No. 1!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,212,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
First you're mad that Alabama is in the game, and now you're saying that LSU is number 20. LOL! It took another SEC team to make LSU look that bad. If it were that easy, Oregon or West Virginia or even Arkansas and Georgia would have done it.

For the last time, not even SEC fanatics (Alabama, LSU, or SEC homers) are debating that a playoff would be infinitely better -- if for no other reason than to shut everyone else up once and for all. We all know the BCS sucks. That's a dumb point to discuss.

The point is, based on this screwy system that we have, which two teams had the best performances going into the bowl season. All teams know that these are the ground rules going into the final game of the year. All teams know that one loss *could* mean the end of your BCS title hopes. Nothing in the BCS rules rule out a 1 and 2 from the same conference. Again, teams know that. Teams know you can't lose to a 6-6 team and expect to get into the playoffs without some luck. LSU had already made its case in compelling fashion. Alabama had one loss, as did OSU, but OSU lost to a team that barely made it to a bowl before getting stomped by f*cking Rutgers!!! lol!

For all of your protests, you obviously keep watching. You obviously followed the game. If you're really under the impression that the two best teams didn't play each other, then seriously, watch Wheel of Fortune or whatever reruns are on cable-satellite tonight.

Give it a rest, my friend. 'Cause Bama's gonna be champs in the end.
It's called sarcasm.

And if you're gonna talk about ME, then you better get your facts straight.

And for the last time, I didn't watch the game at all. Ever heard of Sportscenter? FoxSports.com? Facebook? ....CITY-DATA? I could just read everything off those pages and know the game was weak. Had a gut feeling it would be. When a team doesn't score and the other scores 21, it's a weak ass game. I don't care who you ask...

And for the last time, finding the #1 and #2 teams in the country is HIGHLY overrated.

(And please read that. I said FINDING THE #1 AND #2 TEAMS is overrated. Not saying that about LSU.)

Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM

5,706 posts, read 8,140,050 times
BCS championship game lowest rated title in BCS era | CollegeFootballTalk

Gee, what a shocker. I can't believe no one wanted to watch a field goal kicking contest.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM

28,307 posts, read 26,314,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And for the last time, finding the #1 and #2 teams in the country is HIGHLY overrated.
Exactly. Instead of getting the two best teams in the country, we should just pick conference winners for the BCS title game. Who's to say that an undefeated Howard University Team couldn't take down Alabama or LSU? Nobody thought that an 8-8 Broncos could take out a 12-4 Pittsburgh Steelers team either. Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football