Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

Interesting article today on the SEC.

The real reason the SEC wins all those bowl games - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,008 times
My issue with his statement is the idea that the level that they've been at over the past four or five years is the way they've been from 1998-2011, and that's just not true.

Bass was the one that said the Big 12 South had been the most competitive division "during the BCS era," I don't know how someone is supposed to interpret that other than meaning the years 1998-present since that's the time frame where we've had the BCS.

As far as the SEC lovefest, it will end when someone manages to beat them in the BCS title game, I guess that's why some are so mad about having an all SEC game since it guarantees that it will continue to next season. I don't expect the streak to continue more than another year or two.

Last edited by e_cuyler; 01-03-2012 at 12:33 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
As far as the SEC lovefest, it will end when someone manages to beat them in the BCS title game, I guess that's why some are so mad about having an all SEC game since it guarantees that it will continue to next season. I don't expect the streak to continue more than another year or two.
So it's basically jealous playa hating?

Quote:
My issue with his statement is the idea that the level that they've been at over the past four or five years is the way they've been from 1998-2011, and that's just not true.
Tennessee
Florida State*
Oklahoma
Miami*
Ohio State
LSU
USC
Texas
Florida
LSU
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
Alabama/LSU

That looks pretty dominant to me, bruh? One conference has won 8 of the 14 BCS title games. Then you have an additional two teams from Florida that might as well be considered SEC teams. That's 10 of 14 games where a team either came from the SEC and/or Florida.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-03-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:

Bass was the one that said the Big 12 South had been the most competitive division "during the BCS era," I don't know how someone is supposed to interpret that other than meaning the years 1998-present since that's the time frame where we've had the BCS.

>>>>>
I don't know how someone is supposed to interpret that other than meaning the years 1998-present since that's the time frame where we've had the BCS.
<<<<<

Again, a span of time---successive years---but not definite. If you and Skippy can't grasp this I don't know what else to tell you.

Let me try to restate: The Big 12 South has been the most dominant division (not only intra-division play, but based on its dominance in the conference at-large and the out-of conference schedule) in successive years from a non-specified point of inception to termination during the BCS era.

If you're really infatuated enough to trace this out (zzzzzzzzz) I would look at the rankings of the teams of the Big 12 South vs. SEC West and SEC East as well as overall record and quality of wins. I don't have that kind of time.

Cheers.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 01-03-2012 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Tennessee
Florida State*
Oklahoma
Miami*
Ohio State
LSU
USC
Texas
Florida
LSU
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
Alabama/LSU

That looks pretty dominant to me, bruh? One conference has won 8 of the 14 BCS title games. Then you have an additional two teams from Florida that might as well be considered SEC teams. That's 10 of 14 games where a team either came from the SEC and/or Florida.
I agree with you, I should have been more specific about what I was referring to. I'm talking about this idea that the Big 12 South has been some kind of football powerhouse over the past 15 years that it's been in existence.

The fact that the Big 12 South has won the conference most of the time just gives ammo to the argument that the Big 12 hasn't been that competitive of a conference for a lot of its existence. They've been a lot better over the past four or five years, but don't say that it's always been that way because it hasn't.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I agree with you, I should have been more specific about what I was referring to. I'm talking about this idea that the Big 12 South has been some kind of football powerhouse over the past 15 years that it's been in existence.
Oh, I see. No, I would not consider the Big 12 to be a college football "powerhouse." I don't see how that could be the case when the SEC keeps winning championships year after year.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Tennessee
Florida State*
Oklahoma
Miami*
Ohio State
LSU
USC
Texas
Florida
LSU
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
Alabama/LSU

What's even scarier about this is that 12 of the 14 are from the South (if you consider Texas/OK associated with the South or at least tangentially derived from the South).

Oklahoma and Texas need the teams from the Mighty Midwest (Big 10) and the West Coast (PAC12) to step up and turn the tide of SEC dominance. It will happen, as I stated earlier, there is just too much tradition/athletes in other programs for it not to happen eventually. Hopefully SOONER (pun absolutely intended) than later.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM

I heard an interesting theory about the SEC's streak...basically it's due to their defensive focus. Defense is reactive, so it takes a lot less time to develop a quality defense. Offensive is way more complicated, and you have limits in college on practice and on players' time. Those limits really prevent teams from developing the sophisticated type of offense that it would take to be able to handle the best college defenses. The restrictions you have in college are always going to favor teams that focus on defense first.

It was just some talking point on one of the talk shows, but I think there is at least a grain of truth in it.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,677 times
Quote:
I heard an interesting theory about the SEC's streak...basically it's due to their defensive focus. Defense is reactive, so it takes a lot less time to develop a quality defense. Offensive is way more complicated, and you have limits in college on practice and on players' time. Those limits really prevent teams from developing the sophisticated type of offense that it would take to be able to handle the best college defenses. The restrictions you have in college are always going to favor teams that focus on defense first.

It was just some talking point on one of the talk shows, but I think there is at least a grain of truth in it.
that statement is completely the other way around. In other words Defense is more complicated and takes more time because you have to do the adjusting.... not the offense. That's why offenses have the advantage in rain or slick surfaces... they know where they are going. The offense is the same no matter who they play. If you are a spread... then you're a spread. If you are a pro style then you're pro-style. The defense is the one who changes their alignment and responsibilities based on what offenses do... so defense is much more difficult to coach, learn, and play!

Having said that the part about defense being the focus of the SEC as the reason for its success is true though. But the reason it is successful is because they put the BEST athletes on defense and the best coaches are on defense. It's the concentration... not the offense. The other conferences put their best coaches and best players on offense. And they recruit for that... the SEC recruits to put the best players on Defense. And they spend more time working on defense. That's why they are the best at it... To say defense is just easiery and takes less time is utterly ridiculous. If that's the case then everyone would be good at it.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
So far in the bowl games, the whole south-central region is dominating. Teams from California/Arizona/Nevade are finished and didn't win a single game out of six.

But the schools from Texas/Oklahoma/Louisiana/Mississippi are 9-1, with SMU and LSU still to play. (I did not count the head-to-head match game, TCU over Louisiana Tech.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football