U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Reputation: 11726

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
ESPN doesn't have a contract with the SEC, so I don't see your point. If this were CBS we were talking about, you might have a solid conspiracy angle to work with, but not this time.

I'm actually surprised there wasn't a conspiracy to make a Stanford-LSU game magically happen. If Stanford had been a 1-loss SEC champion, that probably would have happened, but since they got slapped around by Oregon, there was no way to make that work.
Yeah, the point doesn't make any sense. I just found this article.

Quote:
Last spring, the ACC signed a new deal increasing revenue from $37 million per year in its previous contract with ESPN/ABC to $155 million per year in the new agreement. While it marked a financial windfall, the deal still fell short of the SEC's 15-year, $3 billion deal with ESPN and CBS reached in 2008.

These deals were trumped this year by a surprising 12-year, $3 billion deal for the Pac-12, tripling its rights fees.
Lucrative television contracts turn college football into big business | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

This source has the Big 10 and the Pac 12 ahead of the SEC. So the idea of a media love-fest with the SEC is kinda silly. It looks like they're all getting paid in a major way to me.

Richer TV contract has Big 12 schools on solid footing | The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, Missouri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2012, 11:57 AM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
ESPN doesn't have a contract with the SEC, so I don't see your point.
Yes they do. They're reworking as we speak because of conference additions.SEC will reopen contract with ESPN - CBSSports.com

The huge PAC deal with ESPN and Fox starts in 2012 IIRC. Watch the USCw hype go full blown on ESPN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,608,655 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Yes they do. They're reworking as we speak because of conference additions.SEC will reopen contract with ESPN - CBSSports.com

The huge PAC deal with ESPN and Fox starts in 2012 IIRC. Watch the USCw hype go full blown on ESPN.
I mean that ESPN doesn't have anything with SEC that it doesn't have with other major conferences. There's no conspiracy here. There's no reason for ESPN to anoint the SEC.

The fact is, the sports writers, coaches, and computers picked the two SEC schools over the Big 12 because they're tired of watching the Big 12 get all the hype because games end up with NBA-like scores during their conference games, only to have them got rolled over and prison-raped against an SEC team in the games that matter most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 07:16 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I mean that ESPN doesn't have anything with SEC that it doesn't have with other major conferences. There's no conspiracy here. There's no reason for ESPN to anoint the SEC.

The fact is, the sports writers, coaches, and computers picked the two SEC schools over the Big 12 because they're tired of watching the Big 12 get all the hype because games end up with NBA-like scores during their conference games, only to have them got rolled over and prison-raped against an SEC team in the games that matter most.
No and no.

If espn wants to show a B1G game, they must purchase it, same for the Big12 and until next year the PAC. They can choose almost any ACC or SEC game(s) to broadcast at will.

espn sucks monkey balls. I thought everyone knew that. They are sports entertainment, true sports journalists are few and far between at espn. When Yahoo sports is breaking most major sports stories, you know espn isn't in it for real sports coverage. They line their pockets with lucrative deals, and then spend their time hyping those deals. (the decision anyone?) You think espn isn't going to hype their investments? Really!?

The computers had OSU @ #2.

Why did you even bring up the Big12?

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-04-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,555 posts, read 22,418,417 times
Reputation: 13855
Hmmm... WV wasn't underrated huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
The computers had OSU @ #2.
The computers had OSU as No. 2 after their loss to an unranked team? I don't think so. OSU's loss dropped them below Alabama. So Alabama, as the higher ranked team, deserved to play for the title.

There it is.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/15

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-05-2012 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,413,490 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
They can choose almost any ACC or SEC game(s) to broadcast at will.
That's not true... CBS has the first choice for the SEC hence why they showed the LSU/Alabama game and the Arkansas/LSU game and the SEC Championship!

ESPN has to take whatever games that CBS does not want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,745,248 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The computers had OSU as No. 2 after their loss to an unranked team? I don't think so. OSU's loss dropped them below Alabama. So Alabama, as the higher ranked team, deserved to play for the title.

There it is.

2011 NCAA College Football Polls and Rankings for Week 15 - ESPN
Actually the computers had them at number 2.

Look at the average under computer ranking on this page:
NCAA College Football BCS Standings Week 15 - ESPN

Computer Average

1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Alabama

Only the voters propelled Alabama by OSU in the BCS ranking. Everyone needs to remember, the BCS isn't just a computer ranking. It is 2/3 votes, and 1/3 computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,608,655 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Actually the computers had them at number 2.

Look at the average under computer ranking on this page:
NCAA College Football BCS Standings Week 15 - ESPN

Computer Average

1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Alabama

Only the voters propelled Alabama by OSU in the BCS ranking. Everyone needs to remember, the BCS isn't just a computer ranking. It is 2/3 votes, and 1/3 computers.
And after OSU's 'win' over Stanford...it's pretty clear that the humans made the right call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,745,248 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
And after OSU's 'win' over Stanford...it's pretty clear that the humans made the right call.
Using your crazy circular logic maybe

OSU is the Big 12 Champion, and now they are the Fiesta Bowl Champion...

Alabama didn't even win their division. How can you have a NATIONAL championship game between the SEC champion and a team that didn't even win their division? Not much of a "national championship". More like a regular season SEC game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top