U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,586 posts, read 22,437,666 times
Reputation: 13877

Advertisements

West Conf.

W-L ; Overall W-L

LSU 9-0 ;13-0

Alabama 7-1 ;11-1

Arkansas 6-2; 10-2

Auburn 4-4 ; 8-5

Mississippi St. 2-6 ;7-6

Mississippi 0-8 ;2-10

Look at the utter dominance of this sub-conference over the last few years.

In years past, it was the SEC East. But this has been the SEC West's turn and look what they do out of conference. The SEC East isn't too shabby either, but look at the last few BCS Championships... including this upcoming one.

I predict LSU to win this one for the Trifecta... Alabama, Auburn, LSU. Who's next? Arkansas? Mississippi State?

So far, Mississippi State and Auburn won their bowl games. Arkansas may win. But at least one of the top two has to lose.

What are they feeding them folks down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Reputation: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
West Conf.

W-L ; Overall W-L

LSU 9-0 ;13-0

Alabama 7-1 ;11-1

Arkansas 6-2; 10-2

Auburn 4-4 ; 8-5

Mississippi St. 2-6 ;7-6

Mississippi 0-8 ;2-10

Look at the utter dominance of this sub-conference over the last few years.

In years past, it was the SEC East. But this has been the SEC West's turn and look what they do out of conference. The SEC East isn't too shabby either, but look at the last few BCS Championships... including this upcoming one.

I predict LSU to win this one for the Trifecta... Alabama, Auburn, LSU. Who's next? Arkansas? Mississippi State?

So far, Mississippi State and Auburn won their bowl games. Arkansas may win. But at least one of the top two has to lose.

What are they feeding them folks down there?
The Big 12 South was perennially the best division in college football during the BCS era until Little Brother Aggie jumped ship. It is now, without a doubt, the SEC West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,382,093 times
Reputation: 771
You only had two conferences that even had divisions until this past season.

There have been plenty of years where the Big 12 South just had a couple of good teams, or a bunch of average teams, or one team dominating. It's really just been in recent years that it's been at a high level of competition to where it went down to the wire on who was going to win the division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Reputation: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
You only had two conferences that even had divisions until this past season.

There have been plenty of years where the Big 12 South just had a couple of good teams, or a bunch of average teams, or one team dominating. It's really just been in recent years that it's been at a high level of competition to where it went down to the wire on who was going to win the division.


Since 2000 the Sooners and Horns have been incredibly dominant, not just within the division/conference but also in out of conference games. Throw in Tech which is never a slouch, A&M, and now OSU's run of success you have 5 of 6 teams in the division which are likely to win on any given day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,586 posts, read 22,437,666 times
Reputation: 13877
Yeah, but how many times do any of those teams play an SEC West opponent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Reputation: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yeah, but how many times do any of those teams play an SEC West opponent?
I say, Bring It!

It was almost a reality a few seasons ago when Nebraska and Colorado jumped ship and it looked like the Big 12 was going to totally implode. Slive came after the Sooners hard, but Boren/Oklahoma said no dice if it can bring Oklahoma State too. At that time, the SEC did not want OK State.....I'm guessing Slive&Co. regret that now.

I would love to see the Oklahoma/Texas teams play the SEC on a consistent basis in the out of conference schedule every year. Having the Sooners and Horns play y'all on a consistent basis might knock ya down a peg and bring you back to reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Reputation: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I say, Bring It!

It was almost a reality a few seasons ago when Nebraska and Colorado jumped ship and it looked like the Big 12 was going to totally implode. Slive came after the Sooners hard, but Boren/Oklahoma said no dice if it can bring Oklahoma State too. At that time, the SEC did not want OK State.....I'm guessing Slive&Co. regret that now.

I would love to see the Oklahoma/Texas teams play the SEC on a consistent basis in the out of conference schedule every year. Having the Sooners and Horns play y'all on a consistent basis might knock ya down a peg and bring you back to reality.
*can't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,586 posts, read 22,437,666 times
Reputation: 13877
Colorado couldn't handle the Mountain West these days. I see they are having a tough time in their new conference.

Like I said, I see LSU winning it this year and y'all better watch out for Arkansas next season. I guess you could say the trend is sort of moving towards Oklahoma.

Oh, btw... congrats to OK State! What a classless act by Stanford on that last play. Why won't they let us see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,382,093 times
Reputation: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post


Since 2000 the Sooners and Horns have been incredibly dominant, not just within the division/conference but also in out of conference games. Throw in Tech which is never a slouch, A&M, and now OSU's run of success you have 5 of 6 teams in the division which are likely to win on any given day.
That's the point, for most of the Big 12 South's history it's just been between OU and Texas. To me that is not a competitive division if you only have two teams really being a force and the other teams not really being in it. A&M hasn't had a run since 1998. It's only been in fairly recent years that you've had other teams really starting to compete. So the idea that the Big 12 South has been some kind of football powerhouse since 1998 [which is what you claimed] just doesn't match up with the record book.

Just about every conference has at least two good teams that play at a high level, so having OU/Texas being dominant doesn't really make the Big 12 South anything special. I just think people forget about everything prior to the last few years and forget that OSU and Tech have not always been big players in the conference and most of the time the division was decided in early October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 AM
 
3,458 posts, read 3,114,168 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The Big 12 South was perennially the best division in college football during the BCS era until Little Brother Aggie jumped ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top