Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I know that the rest of the country doesn't want to hear it, but the truth is the truth: LSU and Alabama are the best. And the Southeastern Conference is the best. Deal.
i agree, and yet, i wish there was a rule that prevented 2 teams from the same conference from meeting in the MNC game.

i'm not sure what the best "system" is , but i don't like the idea of playoffs because they take away from the meaning of the regular season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 PM

753 posts, read 843,148 times
Gotta chime in here being a predominantly a D2 fan (playoffs) and a 'Bama fan.

'Bama deserves to be there (OSU didn't look great last night) but I wish we could have proven it via playoffs. Playoffs are the ONLY way to determine a champion. All other NCAA sports do this. It's not rocket-science! This is all about $$$ and that should make every DI fan sick. It does me.

And yes, two teams from the same conference can be the best in the country! D2 has this part wrong. The 'regionalize' and make conference foes play each other in earlier rounds. That sucks.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
I think this was just one of those crazy years....one of the articles mentioned that in the early Seventies you had a season where the top three teams at the end were all from the same conference.

I'm in favor of a plus-one instead of playoffs. I think that is way more feasible and would be way less disruptive for fans, schools, etc. Sure, you'd occasionally have a season where someone would still be left out, but it would probably happen a lot less often.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 PM

922 posts, read 1,698,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I think this was just one of those crazy years....one of the articles mentioned that in the early Seventies you had a season where the top three teams at the end were all from the same conference.

1971, Big Eight Conference.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
UPI final results for the 1971 season

1. Nebraska- 13-0
2. Oklahoma- 11-1
3. Colorado- 10-2

For what it's worth Iowa State also finished in the top 20. Before they took on LSU in the Sun Bowl, they were ranked 8th. They lost to LSU 33-15, which dropped them to #17, finishing with an 8-4 overall record (4-3 in the Big 8)

Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I went into this game thinking that OSU deserved to be in the BCS title game perhaps more than Bama did. But not anymore. There's no question after tonight's game, and there's no question after watching the bowl games so far that LSU and Alabama are the right teams in the BCS title game.

OSU's defense is just not as good as I thought it was. I thought they'd get pressure on Luck and I thought they'd stuff the run, but they couldn't stop Stanford. And they were luck - very lucky - to win that game tonight. Stanford just choked - plain and simple.

Most people agree that LSU deserved the #1 spot and are focusing most of their attention on Bama. Believe me when I say that as an LSU fan it puts me in a mighty uncomfortable position to defend Alabama football. But there's not a doubt in my mind that Alabama would beat OSU or Stanford. THe Cardinal would have been beaten up on the front lines. ALabama's defensive front is the best in the nation -even better than LSU's. They are dominant. They would have stuffed Stanford's running game right from the start, and would have put pressure on Luck to throw it. I could see Luck maybe getting off some big plays early, but the Bama defense would quickly adjust and would batter and wear down the Stanford line by the 3rd quarter. They and LSU have done that with just about every team they've played this year.

And as for OSU? Well let me just say that if I saw that game and saw that Stanford, a team that couldn't tackle all year long, found ways to make open field tackles and put pressure on OSU's passing game until late. They did get tired late - will give them that. But considering how easily Stanford ran all over OSU...there is no way, absolutely no way OSU would be able to stop LSU or Alabama. OSU would stop Trent Richardson? Pfffff bwahahahaha!!!! OSU would stop the three/four headed running attack of LSU?? Bwahahahahahaha!!!

I know that the rest of the country doesn't want to hear it, but the truth is the truth: LSU and Alabama are the best. And the Southeastern Conference is the best. Deal.

....playoff..only way. this stuff you speak of is pure nonsense .

Old 01-05-2012, 03:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Here's my problem with playoffs...I think they are the fairest way to do it in the end, but it will ruin watching the last part of the regular season, because you know they will do what the pros do...as soon as that playoff spot is clinched, they will pull their starters and throw away games.

Part of the excitement to me is watching someone try to keep a perfect season to go to the championship game.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Here's my problem with playoffs...I think they are the fairest way to do it in the end, but it will ruin watching the last part of the regular season, because you know they will do what the pros do...as soon as that playoff spot is clinched, they will pull their starters and throw away games.

Part of the excitement to me is watching someone try to keep a perfect season to go to the championship game.
It depends on how the system works. If all of the playoff games are played on neutral ground, then that might happen. But if home field advantage is at stake, then teams are definitely going to play hard until the very end, especially when you have so many teams that are 11-1 or 12-1.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
but it will ruin watching the last part of the regular season, because you know they will do what the pros do...as soon as that playoff spot is clinched, they will pull their starters and throw away games.

How many teams sat there starters in the NFL in the last week? ONLY 1!!!

And they only sat 2 starters... The playoff actually keeps more teams involved. Instead of 2 or 3 teams having a chance... there were 10-12 teams competing for playoff spots home and field advantage. That's what playoffs do for you. and in addition, the teams that are not competing for playoff spots get to play spoiler in many games. So out of all the games only 2-3 were not relevant for the playoffs. So in major college football imagine 20 games that matter at the end of the year instead of ONLY a couple like the OSU/OKlahoma and LSU/Arkansas games!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
I would love to see an 8-team playoff. Realistically, because of the money-grubbing conference and bowl executives, that's not going to happen anytime in the next 25 years. The best we can realistically hope for is a plus-one system, which has already been proposed once, and is probably going to gain a lot of steam by the time 2014 rolls around, the year in which the current BCS TV contracts end. I think a 'plus one' would eliminate 50 to 75 percent of the problems that most people have with the current system. Obviously, there will be occasional gripes that one conference has an extra team in the mix, and there will occasionally be a year in which you have five or six seemingly equally deserving one-loss teams vying for the final one or two spots. But at least there would be controversy over who gets to be number 2 and 3, instead of controversy over who gets to be 1 and 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football